Who likes C.S.Lewis books about Narnia?

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
You learn something new every day don't you.:wink: I can't wait to see the movie "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe"!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
A lot of fans love the movie, but I'm in the class of people who don't think it captured the true "feeling" of Narnia the way Lewis wrote it.

If you can't wait to see it, where were you when it was in theaters? :stick_out_tongue:

Muppet Matt

Reaction score
Well, sense I'm not old enough to drive yet and my parents are pretty busy we don't go to the theater very much.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
According to the book I read he did like that order better but I won't argue with you my friend. The source I read that in may be biased.

I like that order simply because I always grew up with it but I can understand and appreciate your point. Someone might use the same logic that the original Star Wars trilogy should be watched before the prequel trilogy so you can see how it all fits into place.

And Lewis certainly did not alter his books in any way LWandW still reads as if the reader should not know who Aslan is even though they are introduced to him in MN

melissa@muppet

Reaction score
I Haven't Read Them Yet But I Would Like To. Have Seen The Movie And I Am Going To Buy Them An Have A Read. I Have Heard Good Things About The Books. Can't Wait To Read Them.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Ack! No no no! :eek:

I'm a staunch traditionalist...pleeeease if you're new, read them in the originally published order:

"Lion, Witch, Wardrobe"
"Prince Caspian"
"Voyage of the Dawn Treader"
"Silver Chair"
"Horse and His Boy"
"Magician's Nephew"
"Last Battle"

It's just so much more magical and enchanting if you read them in the order Lewis himself wrote them. Otherwise if you do it in the order which the publishers have rearranged them (which I personally detest), some of the magic and fantasy is ruined for you. It's like reading a textbook where everything is spelled out for you with no chance to wonder about things, question lovely little details, and those fantastic "Aha!" moments you get when you piece things together.

Besides, the way LWW is written it really is the only proper gateway to Narnia IMO.
Um...thats not what I said...maybe you just misread it, I never said to read it first, All I meant was that it gives some details about LWW that might answer some peoples questions

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Sorry...I just like for newbies to make sure to read LWW first, and hopefully the rest in the original order! :wink:

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
Ack! No no no! :eek:

I'm a staunch traditionalist...pleeeease if you're new, read them in the originally published order..

Besides, the way LWW is written it really is the only proper gateway to Narnia IMO.
Soooo with you there. It's waaaaaay better with LWW first. MN is good but it's much better when it answers questions you already had rather than spelling out things you haven't thought of yet.
Erin

balana

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Soooo with you there. It's waaaaaay better with LWW first. MN is good but it's much better when it answers questions you already had rather than spelling out things you haven't thought of yet.
Erin
I agree too. Luckily my copy of the books is in publishing order so that's the way I read them. MN is better as an answerer of loose ends before wrapping things up in Last Battle than as an introduction.

And Horse and his Boy is kind of the one oddball of the series. It's a good story, but probably my least favorite.