Who Misses Oreo Os?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Besides me that is?

Walmart used to have them up until recently, and I just heard that they actually stopped making it a couple of years ago because a lot of nutrition experts felt there was TOO much sugar in it (the cads, why don't they just get rid of Frosted Flakes while they're at it).

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I kinda remember that cereal, don't believe I ever got to try it :/

dwmckim

Reaction score
Never felt the need to succomb to Oreo O's. Spaghetti O's always kept me content enough (but with meatballs of course...plain Spaghetti O's were just boring.)

Why am i even posting this? Maybe cuz when i was a kid and The Muppet Show first went on the air, Scooter's "eyes" reminded me of Spaghetti O's.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Never felt the need to succomb to Oreo O's. Spaghetti O's always kept me content enough (but with meatballs of course...plain Spaghetti O's were just boring.)
Oooghhh... those meatballs.... shudder shudder shudder... There are just some things you can't eat as an adult, no matter how hard you try. Then there's the stuff you can't even digest, but I won't get at that. Really... I used to love spicy fried chicken... now I totally fear it.

As for the cereal.... that stuff was brilliant. Until they added in the marshmallows, but still. It goes all the way back to my top rant, do gooder parental groups ruin everything. Cereal has totally slipped down from fun and wonderful to bland, unimaginative, and having trace amounts of whole grains that make everything taste like bark.

I say LET kids eat whimsical breakfast treats... cookie and ice cream flavored cereals... candies that turn your tongue blue... cookies and fruit snacks shaped like Saturday morning cartoons... just not every single minute of the day. We can have these things, you know... we just have to teach kids moderation. But kids were NOT meant to eat bran. That's for adults with...uh hmmmm ... problems. It's important to have kids eat healthy... fruits, vegetables... but a sugary breakfast cereal is STILL vitamin fortified, and it still gets them to drink milk. Not like drive through fried egg on a lard biscuit with fried potato scraps. Now that I agree with. I'm not one of those "Fast Food is evil and it's exactly exactly exactly like smoking" types... but I do think the breakfast sandwich is the evilest creation of our time.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh yuck, I HATE Spaghetti Os, that's some nasty stuff! *Grimmace*

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I with you guys on those Meatballs. Whenever my dad would get that, I would pray they didn't have those.

I never got Oreo O's because my dad thought they weren't healthy, but my mom does get the Double-Stuff Oreos often (she loves them)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When it comes to REAL meatballs, I like 'em! Either in spaghetti, or this little dish my mom makes where she drenches the meatballs in a kind of gravy, and serve them on a bed of rice. Really good stuff.

Double Stuf Oreos are pwnsome!

On the subject of cereals, when's the last time anybody ever had the marshmallow Alpha-bits? I haven't seen or had them in it seems like over a decade ago, lol... now all we have is regular Alpha-bits... like Lucky Charms without the marshmallow pieces, lol! I also wish they'd keep Berry-Berry Kix around all the time rather than bring it back for a short time and then take away for a long time, lol.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I just read one of those Yahoo articles warning everybody about dangerously high levels of sugar in products and the fact that it's ultimately killing us slowly - and that's really not true.

Regular sugar as we know it is hardly being used anymore. It's the corn syrup, MSG and fat that is in everything that's dangerous. Most of that can be found in Oreos. I don't think it was always there in the original formula, but in the late 70s corn syrup began replacing sugar in products due to the corrupt government regulation of corn (a virtually nutrition-less vegetable) and the addictive nature of corn syrup that tastes sweet without allowing the satisfaction of being full.

Other than fiber, cereal is useless. Oatmeal is the way to go and many of them can be quite good. I'm all for sweet tasting foods, but why do they have to be filled with garbage? Can they make a Twinkie or an Oreo without using trash additives? The result wouldn't be a cardboard taste, on the contrary. It would likely be more perishable, taste fresher and be much healthier. Anyone who has ever experienced fresh baked bread or homemade cookies can attest to the better taste.

I think it’s time for junk food to contain more natural and legitimate ingredients. If done right it should taste better.

(off soap box now) :embarrassed:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Other than fiber, cereal is useless. Oatmeal is the way to go and many of them can be quite good. I'm all for sweet tasting foods, but why do they have to be filled with garbage? Can they make a Twinkie or an Oreo without using trash additives? The result wouldn't be a cardboard taste, on the contrary. It would likely be more perishable, taste fresher and be much healthier. Anyone who has ever experienced fresh baked bread or homemade cookies can attest to the better taste.
You can make it... it costs like 8 bucks at one of those annoying high class bakeries with fake cutesy names... but it can be done.

I agree we need to get rid of corn syrup, and I'm seeing less and less of it in cereals (at least General Mills) and even in drinks like Capri Sun and Newman's Own Lemonades (they had to tinker with the formula like crazy, and it tasted incredibly sour for a while, but they got it right).

But here's the thing... junk food is widely known as junk food for a reason. once they change the term to "mother's milk" then there is a true complaint. I deeply believe a lot of people know what they should eat, they just don't care and don't want to. Banning the heck out of everything and treating them like smokers is NOT going to solve anything, and just make them angry and frustrated.

But the number one thing that everyone forgets is that kids LIKE sugar. Only way to raise a kid without the stuff is to feed them nothing but organic crap that only a small percentage of families can actually afford. And you have to do this continuously since birth. Kids will only eat oatmeal if it has something floating in it. Parents have to force kids to eat healthy, and I just don't see that anymore. I see parents too lazy to say no, and parents that desperately want their kids to be their best friends. And we all know what happens when a boy's best friend is his mother (wocka wocka).

I agree something needs to be done, but everyone's large on complaints and bannings, and short on long term, more deeply effective solutions. Like, I dunno... maybe raising the working class's pay so they don't have to gorge themselves on cheap chemicals? Let's not forget while a lot of people do eat whatever they aren't supposed to because it feels good, this sort of thing preys on the ultra-poor. You all see super sized fries... I see a nation that has to stuff themselves with 1 dollar Banquet frozen dinners and Hamburger helper to survive.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Geez, do we have to turn this into another rant thread?