Who was your favorite vocalist?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I mean so mant people have has such great voices over the years on sesame Street, But I have to say that I always though Bob Mcgrath's and Loretta Long's were perfect!

BEAR

Reaction score
Roscoe Orman's got an amazing baritone too. They've had an awful lot of talent through the years in the human cast alone. They've had great actors, singers, dancers and comedians.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
They really have had a lot of great people form the theater, too.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
His voice wasn't bad at all...

Northern Calloway's (David) voice that is. I remember him singing "What's the name of that song" and he did a pretty good job of it. I love the way he sang "I'm pretty" and "Who you lookin' at Tiger". Oh man I'm gonna get sentimental now!:cry:

Alaina Reed's renditions of "Everything living grows" and there was a song where her song ended with a soulful "I am the World" was some of the greatest songs ever in my opinion.

ssetta

Reaction score
My favorite is Christopher Cerf. I love his voice because he can sound exactly like a rock singer. He performed the voice of Chris from Chris and the Alphabeats and How Now Brown. He also sang Born to Add, (I Can't Get No) Co-Operation, and several others.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Chris Cerf is Awesome

The man's voice is another one of the SS greats. I listened to the "Exit" song recently on youtube and I was amazed. He has a sort of raspy, rock singer's voice, almost on the Steve Perry style of delivery. He also did a good job on the song "Mr. Frazzle".

Soul H

Reaction score
I'd have to say that for me it's a tie for Jerry Nelson and the late but ever so great Richard Hunt.

The way Jerry Nelson did Little Jerry was dynamic, and when Richard Hunt did the fab insect 4. (Beetles that is.:smile:)

Skekayuk

Reaction score
I have two favourites which tie; and two numbers that tie for top place.

My two alltime avourite Muppet vocalists in anycase are Louise Gold and Jerry Nelson, and Sesame Street has some totally brilliant examples of their work together, I think the best of these is 'I Can Sing Anything When I Sing With You' (not surprising since it was written for them). With their great voices and versatility they proved the lyrics of that song are true, they can sing anything when they sing together.

If you like singers with a really good set of pipes. Then there is one singer, yes from the theatreworld, (on Sesame Street in the early 1990s) who I think is pretty unbeatable in that department, that's Louise Gold (it was the first thing I admired about her); and one terrific example of her glorious pipes occured when she sang 'I Get A Kick Out Of U', as Miss Ethel Mermaid. Although the character was ostensibly a parody of the mighty Merman it was also (quite intentionally) very similar to they way Gold herself usually performs those wonderful Cole Porter numbers written for Merman.

dabauckham

Reaction score
Growing up with Sesame Street, I always liked David (Northern Calloway) and Gordon (Roscoe Orman) the best. Susan (Loretta Lynn) was also awesome. Check out her duet with Roscoe, "Living Hand in Hand" from the Bert and Ernie Sing-Along LP (1975). It could easily have been a contemporary hit, not just a "kid's song" (of course, many of SS's songs transcend the kid's song stereotype).

I have to say, I always found Bob's songs to be a bit boring and cheesy growing up. He would often sing the really really slow songs that I didn't like.:embarrassed:
However, I admit that he is a talented vocalist. I also liked him fine on group songs, like "I've Got Two"

I'm also in agreement about Jerry Nelson. While it's not SS, his performances as Floyd (like "Gone Fishin'" with John Denver) are awesome. And the Count songs are fantastic, of course...

Sorry to keep going on, but let's not forget the awesomeness of Henson in Ernie's "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon." Rarely has a song been sung so sweetly and earnestly. JH may not have been the world's greatest vocalist, but his notes were dead-on and perfect for the characters he played. I mean, "Mahna Mahna?" "Meet Me At the Busstop?"
Sheer jazzy brilliance. :wink:

-David

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Jerry, Richard, Christopher Serf, Lorratta Long, Alana Reed, Bob McGrath!