Whoospiedoodles

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
So I've just finished my first week of schlepping a show to schools. I had 2 weeks to learn it. Other performers have done it with more time, others with less (hi Jeremy)....

Out of curiosity, has anyone else made a complete idiot out of themselves in front of a group of kinder-2nd graders?

I suppose I'm used to making an idiot of myself in front of adults--usually too inebriated to notice. Nothing has had to be terribly polished. Now I'm doing a show in which I have to rap...to a beat and hit sound cues...accurately...you know, like a normal puppeteer. This is proving to, after one week, be a problem.

Just curious if I'm floating alone on this one...

Blink

Reaction score
So I've just finished my first week of schlepping a show to schools. I had 2 weeks to learn it. Other performers have done it with more time, others with less (hi Jeremy)....

Out of curiosity, has anyone else made a complete idiot out of themselves in front of a group of kinder-2nd graders?

I suppose I'm used to making an idiot of myself in front of adults--usually too inebriated to notice. Nothing has had to be terribly polished. Now I'm doing a show in which I have to rap...to a beat and hit sound cues...accurately...you know, like a normal puppeteer. This is proving to, after one week, be a problem.

Just curious if I'm floating alone on this one...
In a way you could say I have been doing it for over eight years. I am also a primary grade school teacher (kindergarten, grade 1 and grade 2). I've used puppets in the classroom and have done assemblies for years. Perhaps not exactly what you are talking about, but applicable.

I find kids are the best audiences. :smile:

Like with anything, the more you do it the better you will get. I say you will be a puppet rap superstar before long. :wink:

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I say you will be a puppet rap superstar before long. :wink:
At this point it's not even the rap that I'm struggling with (Or maybe it is and I have not enough rhythm to notice), but more the transition from informal performances for drunkards to needing a polished show.

Thankfully I'm a confident improviser that has been able to recover from missed sound cues to fill the time needed to get to the next song...but yeah. I know its rookie stuff...and I know some of it is just how things go sometimes (malfunctioning props or disrespectful, loud teachers, or the custodian that decides he needs to vacuum the room next door during your show in which your mic decided to give out.). Its just comforting to know that others go through or have gone through the same things.

MGov

Reaction score
Oh man.

I feel for you. One time I was up in front of a group of second graders and had to do a song that I really hadn't practiced. I thought I knew the words well enough but as it got into the verse further, I started mumbling and trailing off. The flop sweat was pouring down my forehead and pretty soon all those second graders started laughing and mocking me. It made me cry.

Of course, I was in second grade at the time.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
Oh man.

I feel for you. One time I was up in front of a group of second graders and had to do a song that I really hadn't practiced. I thought I knew the words well enough but as it got into the verse further, I started mumbling and trailing off. The flop sweat was pouring down my forehead and pretty soon all those second graders started laughing and mocking me. It made me cry.

Of course, I was in second grade at the time.
HAH! My first show my mic went out & it threw me off so badly I had to improvise the song. Thankfully I consider myself a half-decent musical improviser... Hey at least I knew the tune! And I was in a mask, so nobody could see my beet-red face...

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
do you have a video of yourself we could look at.
I haven't recorded myself doing that particular show yet. I'm sure I'll improve vastly once I do that. Thankfully I have a wonderful lead puppeteer & director.