Why All The Hate on The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show??

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
I thought it was much better than 70s Tom and Jerry Show, or 90s Tom and Jerry Movie, or even better than 90s Tom and Jerry Kids (but not by much), I wasn't a child of the show, and I just got to watching the episodes recently.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Filmation one? Eh.... well, the problem is that Filmation doesn't really handle well with high impact physical comedy shows due to their limited animation. Their Mighty Mouse cartoons were good, and the animation was approximately what Terrytoons giving just before they closed down (The Mighty Heroes used just as much reused footage as Filmation would). Their Tom and Jerry cartoons were okay. They're no where near as bad as the Moral Gaurdian approved Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape/Not-Muttley show or that horrible The Rescuers wannabe of a movie. They just can't hold a candle to the original theatricals. Even some of the Gene Deitch ones I like a little better.

But I hate their Droopy cartoons. Droopy's oddly one of my favorite characters and I've yet to even remotely like any of the non-theatrical versions of the character. Even in Tom and Jerry Kids.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
So it seems Droopy's last great moment was his cameo in Roger Rabbit?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Cartoon writers don't really seem to get Droopy. I liked the Tom and Jerry Tales series, but every time they shoehorned Droopy into an episode, it felt off. Even the Tom and Jerry Kids cartoons, and try as hard as they might, just didn't get that X factor that made the original Droopy shorts amazing. They almost got the Wolf down, though.

Xerus

Reaction score
I thought in The Tom and Jerry Kids, Don Messick did a pretty good job voicing Droopy. I especially liked the scenes when Miss Vavoom started sweet talking Droopy causing him to heat up and turn red. And making crazy noises when off camera.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think it was the voice that was the problem. It was in the writing and characterization. There was a Droopy cartoon that actually got it... but it was one of the little shorts CN used to have in between shows. "Thanks a Latte" I believe... and that was done by an independent animator.

Then again, I loved Filmation's Mighty Mouse cartoons, but I'm not crazy about their Heckle and Jeckles.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Maybe someday someone will be inspired enough to resurrect Droopy, in a way that would make Tex Avery proud.