Why did MFS and EIG bomb so bad?

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
I was disappointed not to see Crazy Harry at the beginning of Muppets from Space even though he was shown in the trailer. The creators wanted to shove him in halfway to the end of the film just to mess with us. I have to say though, the character appearances in that movie that stood out the most to me were Link Hothgrob and Marvin Suggs. It was nice seeing Kathy Griffin have a cameo in that film as the guard that Animal distracted. It was also great seeing Ray Liotta as the male guard. Johnny and Bubba the Rat sounded nearly identical in voice, as did Sal and Phil van Neuter. Jeffrey Tambor was the perfect choice for the main villain. It was also nice seeing cameos from Sweetums, Lew Zealand, Zippity Zap, Zondra, Zoot, Floyd, Dr. Teeth, Statler and Waldorf, Scooter, Sam the Eagle, The Swedish Chef, Beauregard, Chip, Bean Bunny, Janice, and Rowlf the Dog. Bobo was absolutely hilarious as the sidekick who often got himself into trouble purposely with the villain. Pepe's I am not a shrimp, I am a king prawn line was what made the film. I could rant on and on and on, but I'm not going to.

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I don't usually care one way or the other about putting as many characters possible into a scene, MFS opens with a promise it can't really keep. As I've said a million times, sure we have the Brick House number and the Jacuzzi party, but it's like 90% of the Muppets leave after breakfast and go off to no where, leaving the supposedly overcrowded, perfectly Muppety boarding house vacant, void of life, and like a boring relative's house on a lazy and overly uncomfortable Sunday. Instead of focusing on how wacky the Muppets can be, we got house painting, slowly sipping Minute Maid Orange Soda, mail checking, and playing cards in the basement (which the only saving grace is Bill's enthusiastic, more enthusiastic than it had to be, Pepe performance).

The biggest lost opportunity was a living room jam packed with Muppets fighting over the remote, and Kermit stepping in and saying how they should watch Piggy's show out of support. Instead we got... gee, we're bored. let's watch Piggy's thing because it's on and important to the plot.

Bad directing ruined the movie. But again, quality is seldom linked to box office success. Though some really bad ones tend to get weeded out from time to time.

Mad Monty fan

Reaction score
That statement speaks the truth that some films do indeed tend to rake in more cash than others.