Why did the Muppet Show end?

suggsy

Reaction score
Anyone know why the 5th season was the last? Did the contract run out and Henson wanted to move on to other things (like Dark Crystal?) Was there a push to move exclusively to movies with Great Muppet Caper? Were ratings sagging (heaven forbid!)

None of the Henson books I read mentioned this. Sesame Street kept running after Henson had moved on and it seems he could have kept it going even as he explored new areas.

Anyone?

Ryan

Reaction score
It definitley could have gone on. But Henson wanted to stop it before it got dull He didn't want it to last any longer than it had. After all, having a prime time puppet show on the air for 5 years is already an accomplishment. He didn't want the show to dry out. He also felt that he did what he wanted to with the show. He was satisfyed with it. I also remember Jerry (Juhl) saying that they were simply running out of ideas.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I guess no more Muppet Show is better than bland and boring Muppet Show :stick_out_tongue:

Fireimps87

Reaction score
problem is now...now to find a channel that shows the Muppet Show

Miss_Beaker

Reaction score
It's typical really - it always seemed to be on before I was really interested in the Muppets - and now I'm a stark raving fan - nothing! I have to content myself with my movies and two Muppet Show DVDs :smirk:

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Fireimps87 said:
problem is now...now to find a channel that shows the Muppet Show
The Muppet Show is shown here in Australia on the Disney Channel or it atleast was when I last checked, I don't get the Disney Channel or any pay televion so I dont get to see it anyway. :sympathy:
If they arent showing the muppet show at the moment they would be showing some other Henson Show like Fraggle Rock or Muppet Babies or Muppets Tonight. :smile:

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Actually it's on here in Canada on a Toronto Christian station. (Mostly nice, wholesome family programming, actually a pretty cool channel.) MY problem is that it's only available up where I am on satellite and I can't put my pan up here in my apartment building! Oh well.

CousinLuke

Reaction score
Are you just trying to rub it in that we Americans don't have a network that shows The Muppet Show? For that matter, I would even settle for Disney showing reruns of Muppets Tonight (even though my dorm has no cable at the moment, at least it would be on).

Whatever

Reaction score
One of my favorite teachers ever knew that I was a huge Muppet fan and don't have cable, so she videotaped two tapes full of Fraggle Rock and The Muppet Show for me! I love those tapes! :flirt: