Why did they replace George?

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
You know how George the Janitor was replaced with Beauregard? Well, why did they replace George with him? I've been watching the Muppet Show DVDs with my mom and she has been asking me that. She actully liked George better. Does anyone know why?

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
You know how George the Janitor was replaced with Beauregard? Well, why did they replace George with him? I've been watching the Muppet Show DVDs with my mom and she has been asking me that. She actully liked George better. Does anyone know why?
George got shafted to the old folks home by Kermit.......

Wait....

Actually, it was never explained why George left and Beau just showed up. That would be a good question for Frank Oz and Dave Goelz to answer, since tey did those characters.

Maybe Frank hated performing George?.....

dwmckim

Reaction score
Pure speculation here - i'm thinking they wanted to give Dave a Muppet Show character similar to his Wendell Porcupine from Emmet Otter and the idea ended up transforming into the dim witted janitor. It was clear by season two that George was being backburned - where he had been on every episode in season 1 (mainly thanks to At the Dance), the first season was largely an effort to throw all these characters at the wall and see what stuck - and it was pretty clear by the end of that season that Piggy and Fozzie were going to go on to star status...making it hard enough for the two to be in backstage scenes together - and as a janitor, George was mainly a "backstage character". He also was very similar in design (and somewhat in character and voice) to Statler. By season 3, i think the writers realized they could bring in a new janitor character without anyone really missing George.

By the way, look for a really ultracool visual confrontation between George and Beau in the opening pages of next week's Muppet Show comic debut!

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
Pure speculation here - i'm thinking they wanted to give Dave a Muppet Show character similar to his Wendell Porcupine from Emmet Otter and the idea ended up transforming into the dim witted janitor. It was clear by season two that George was being backburned - where he had been on every episode in season 1 (mainly thanks to At the Dance), the first season was largely an effort to throw all these characters at the wall and see what stuck - and it was pretty clear by the end of that season that Piggy and Fozzie were going to go on to star status...making it hard enough for the two to be in backstage scenes together - and as a janitor, George was mainly a "backstage character". He also was very similar in design (and somewhat in character and voice) to Statler. By season 3, i think the writers realized they could bring in a new janitor character without anyone really missing George.

By the way, look for a really ultracool visual confrontation between George and Beau in the opening pages of next week's Muppet Show comic debut!
I guess that could be the resion. I hope someone will post that image somewhere. I can't get the comic.