Why did this NEED to be made?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I'm passing on "Legend of the Guardians" too. For some reason the trailer just makes me uncomfortable and angry, but this is the same company that gave us Happy Feet. I didn't like that aimless picture either. I kind of feel the film demonstrates the uncanny valley for owls. Maybe that's it. I'm just glad Zach Snyder is moving on from cartoons to comics.
I loved that film. I feel like it got owls just right while balancing human like culture into it. And it was also very plot driven and not creepy at all IMHO:excited:. All and all it has an amazing look if nothing else, most of all of you love birds in real life like I do. There is just something about keeping animals animals while giving them their own world and adventure that I have always loved, in Secret of NIMH, in Watership Down, and now in this film.

I say this not as someone who has read the book series yet ether, but I am going to.

I am not going to say it is for everyone, but it really does help things if more people see a movie they are talking about before they decide it is awful I've decided. At worst you have support for why you dislike it, at medium you have a pretty looking film with a so so story and at best you might find you like it :excited:.
Even movies I knew I was going to hate, like G-Force, I rented online from Netflix just to pass the time and make sure:coy:. (And watch the whole thing, I never ever watch half movies, I feel like there is no point if I don't take the whole thing in)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I loved that film. I feel like it got owls just right while balancing human like culture into it. And it was also very plot driven and not creepy at all IMHO:excited:. All and all it has an amazing look if nothing else, most of all of you love birds in real life like I do. There is just something about keeping animals animals while giving them their own world and adventure that I have always loved, in Secret of NIMH, in Watership Down, and now in this film.

I say this not as someone who has read the book series yet ether, but I am going to.

I am not going to say it is for everyone, but it really does help things if more people see a movie they are talking about before they decide it is awful I've decided. At worst you have support for why you dislike it, at medium you have a pretty looking film with a so so story and at best you might find you like it :excited:.
Even movies I knew I was going to hate, like G-Force, I rented online from Netflix just to pass the time and make sure:coy:. (And watch the whole thing, I never ever watch half movies, I feel like there is no point if I don't take the whole thing in)
I thought we weren't going to quote one another, but I'll respond this once.

I closely follow films and the creative talent who make them so my viewpoints come from an informed place. I love penguins and owls and I usually don't pass on many films, but I've stated before my hatred of Happy Feet with a fiery passion. Sitting through that film was like a visit to the dentist! An absolutely terrible motion picture IMHO. The owl movie is from the same folk and is selling itself as being in the same vein as the aimless penguin movie.

I'm sure both films will have a following, but just as some people don't like the Woody Allen movies I like, I don't like the animation coming from this particular company (or the motion capture Zemekis monstrosities either). These particular creative forces reduce animation into a spectacle genre rather than a storytelling device.

Even though I like the director, both critical and personal audience consensus confirm my fear. I've stated clearly my reasoned distaste for this kind of picture. The animal animation falling into uncanny valley territory creeps me out (Happy Feet did the same thing to me). The lack of meat to the story as cited numerous times and that's the most important part of a film to me so that's a very big indicator that this CG owl flick isn't for me.

Movies are my favorite things in the world (second to Muppets) and I'm always willing to see about 95% of what's out there. I can assure you that never will I screen the fart-humor-filled G-Force. My time is valuable so that just won't happen. These two films fall in that odious 5%.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I didn't mean this as an attack on you for disliking it, I was just stating that I enjoyed it. I don't remember the thing about no quotes it was so long ago I totally put any disagreement we might have had out of my mind ages ago.

The whole quoting you thing was actually more to swing the subject to OwlsofG without seeming like I was coming out of left field with something you guys weren't talking about.
The part about watching it to make sure of dislike was more on the subject of the whole topic overall, with the rip off of R&J film than you and owls.

Lately I've just been trying to keep an open mind (not saying that anyones here isn't) and even if I can avoid all online trailers before a film is out. So far I am doing fine with Tangled, even if the title change disappoints...

Anyway, that said, I'm sorry you don't want to see OwlsofG that strongly (I haven't been here in forever so I did not remember what you said about hating Happy Feet. Myself, I didn't hate it or love it. I liked the beginning, but everything after that was meh).

I went into OwlsofG not having read a single review or having talked to anyone else who had seen it and loved it. There were no tasteless jokes, the effects were amazing, it moved at a good pace and had a nice plot (although the books most likely are better if I know my book series turned movies)

I totally understand if you don't want to see it though. I know everyones time should not be wasted doing/seeing less than what they truly love. I respect that :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Even though I like the director, both critical and personal audience consensus confirms my fear. I've stated clearly my reasoned distaste for this kind of picture. The animal animation falling into uncanny valley territory creeps me out. The lack of meat to the story as cited numerous times and that's the most important part of a film to me so that's a very big indicator that this CG owl flick isn't for me.

Movies are my favorite things in the world (second to Muppets) and I'm always willing to see about 95% of what's out there. I can assure you that never will I screen the fart-humor-filled G-Force. My time is valuable so that just won't happen. These two films fall in that odious 5%.
What absolutely bugs me is the severe lack of anthro style movies in CGI. I mean, full on, human clothes wearing, the world is populated by animals type anthro movies... something in the vein of Talespin or Ducktales or something,... somewhere where there are only animals living like humans. The only ones that come close are Flushed Away and Chicken little (and this is the tolerance I have... I loved both movies, so you can really tell how terrible I find this if I like those 2).

I give them credit for not doing the movie completely animal, but there's just an inorganic goofiness...the bad, forced kind... it's hard to explain... anyone see that live episode of 30 Rock when Tracy kept purposely trying to spontaneously screw up a sketch? Sort of like that. They're trying to make it quirky,but in a bad, almost annoying way. I could continue to justify my thoughts on this icky piece as an animation fan/student/wanna be critic, but it seems futile if people say "How do you know you don't like it?" This thing just has too many warning flairs that say, "Stay away! Please don't see this movie or we'll make 12 more just like it." The fact Lassiter held a firm NO on the film, refusing to let this out... the fact that Disney contractually HAS to release this... and that frog is getting on my last nerve.

And I agree with the Frogboy... I'm open to a good number of films out there (and most of the ones I wouldn't see are just not my taste), but stuff like cheaply produced kiddy movies and those HORRID "Year in review" parody movies are at the top of my "PLEASE stop making these for the love of all that's Holy!" and this film falls into that category.

That said, of there was a TASTEFUL cartoon Romeo and Juliette out there (one where they won't potentially have all the characters come out at the end of the movie and dance to pop music), CGI... even if they're 2 kinds of blenders, I'll give it a shot. There's a difference between parody and poor taste. And this is the latter.

Oh, and apparently Seth MacFarline's doing a voice in it. Somehow, I'd feel a CRAP load better if he wrote it.

Redsonga

Reaction score
What absolutely bugs me is the severe lack of anthro style movies in CGI. I mean, full on, human clothes wearing, the world is populated by animals type anthro movies... something in the vein of Talespin or Ducktales or something,... somewhere where there are only animals living like humans. The only ones that come close are Flushed Away and Chicken little (and this is the tolerance I have... I loved both movies, so you can really tell how terrible I find this if I like those 2).

I give them credit for not doing the movie completely animal, but there's just an inorganic goofiness...the bad, forced kind... it's hard to explain... anyone see that live episode of 30 Rock when Tracy kept purposely trying to spontaneously screw up a sketch? Sort of like that. They're trying to make it quirky,but in a bad, almost annoying way. I could continue to justify my thoughts on this icky piece as an animation fan/student/wanna be critic, but it seems futile if people say "How do you know you don't like it?" This thing just has too many warning flairs that say, "Stay away! Please don't see this movie or we'll make 12 more just like it." The fact Lassiter held a firm NO on the film, refusing to let this out... the fact that Disney contractually HAS to release this... and that frog is getting on my last nerve.

And I agree with the Frogboy... I'm open to a good number of films out there (and most of the ones I wouldn't see are just not my taste), but stuff like cheaply produced kiddy movies and those HORRID "Year in review" parody movies are at the top of my "PLEASE stop making these for the love of all that's Holy!" and this film falls into that category.

That said, of there was a TASTEFUL cartoon Romeo and Juliette out there (one where they won't potentially have all the characters come out at the end of the movie and dance to pop music), CGI... even if they're 2 kinds of blenders, I'll give it a shot. There's a difference between parody and poor taste. And this is the latter.

Oh, and apparently Seth MacFarline's doing a voice in it. Somehow, I'd feel a CRAP load better if he wrote it.
I guess my love for totally animal characters with some human parts of their culture mixed in but still acting totally animal movies comes from the fact that I love those kind of books, and well, Owls is based on one of those sort of worlds. It's not just a gimmick that someone thought up to push a movie, it is preexisting in fiction:excited:...
Don't get me wrong I love Talespin, but I think there is room for both sorts of films...Most of all when the world of Talespin was born from Disney'd take on The Jungle Book, a world where, in the books at least, animals were truly animals with their own hidden kingdom and laws :flirt:

I'm not saying that animal like movies should stop Talespin movies from getting made, just that, I feel there is room for both.

BTW, speaking of human like animals, how do you feel about the Yogi Bear Movie? I have no feeling ether way so far...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really should mention the 1980's Japanese European co-production Sherlock Hound (the title they had to give to the series to signify the fact the characters are all anthro dogs... he is referred to as Holmes in the actual series). Now, it's not that it lacks comedy, but it also has a serious feel to it. And I really think that anthro doesn't always need to be comedy. And for me, a good movie or TV show doesn't just do one or the other. That's why action comedies are so big with me.

Talespin I find a special case. It took a character from a completely different sort of movie and changed it... but in very special way. The characters almost seemed to be in an alternate universe, but the ones taken from the movie had their exact same personalities, only shifted to their respective roles. I especially like what they did with Shere Kahn, making him the grim businessman.

I still say Disney needs to make a Donald Duck or Scrooge McDuck movie of some sort... be it CGI or 2-D. There's just so much amazing stuff from the Duckaverse that the US doesn't fully appreciate. If you ever read a Donald Duck comic, you'll know how deep they took the character rather than the old ranting grouch that liked to play tricks.

I will say I'd much rather see a David the Gnome or some sort of Gnome culture type film... something mythical than some while the humans are away Toy Story wanna be. It's the same problem I have with the Smurfs movie, though I will give that a chance (unless the previews are bunk)... there's so much magic in an actual mystic setting that can't be duplicated in the human world. Look at how big the LOTR movies were. A piece of that needs to break into kid's culture (that owl thing looks like it has some of it). Even Shrek with it's anachronistic pop music and pop culture references manages to stay in the Middle Ages. Taking away a magical fictitious world like that? That's why kids have no imagination and grow up too fast.

And one last thing, if you don't see what I'm saying, the fact that a movie like this can get made and Fraggle Rock will never happen should sour the milk of any Henson fan. Remember when they said they wanted FR to be edgy? Well, THIS is what edgy looks like. Pretty gruesome, huh?

Redsonga

Reaction score
I really should mention the 1980's Japanese European co-production Sherlock Hound (the title they had to give to the series to signify the fact the characters are all anthro dogs... he is referred to as Holmes in the actual series). Now, it's not that it lacks comedy, but it also has a serious feel to it. And I really think that anthro doesn't always need to be comedy. And for me, a good movie or TV show doesn't just do one or the other. That's why action comedies are so big with me.

Talespin I find a special case. It took a character from a completely different sort of movie and changed it... but in very special way. The characters almost seemed to be in an alternate universe, but the ones taken from the movie had their exact same personalities, only shifted to their respective roles. I especially like what they did with Shere Kahn, making him the grim businessman.

I still say Disney needs to make a Donald Duck or Scrooge McDuck movie of some sort... be it CGI or 2-D. There's just so much amazing stuff from the Duckaverse that the US doesn't fully appreciate. If you ever read a Donald Duck comic, you'll know how deep they took the character rather than the old ranting grouch that liked to play tricks.

I will say I'd much rather see a David the Gnome or some sort of Gnome culture type film... something mythical than some while the humans are away Toy Story wanna be. It's the same problem I have with the Smurfs movie, though I will give that a chance (unless the previews are bunk)... there's so much magic in an actual mystic setting that can't be duplicated in the human world. Look at how big the LOTR movies were. A piece of that needs to break into kid's culture (that owl thing looks like it has some of it). Even Shrek with it's anachronistic pop music and pop culture references manages to stay in the Middle Ages. Taking away a magical fictitious world like that? That's why kids have no imagination and grow up too fast.

And one last thing, if you don't see what I'm saying, the fact that a movie like this can get made and Fraggle Rock will never happen should sour the milk of any Henson fan. Remember when they said they wanted FR to be edgy? Well, THIS is what edgy looks like. Pretty gruesome, huh?

OwlsofG very much does have that whole mythic world going on with it. I guess that is why I am\was so ready to forgive it parts were it sped up and put four books into one making the owls a family the way other book series (re:Redwall) films/cartoons seem to do.
I guess I was just so hungry for those bits of myth feeling that movies we grew up with seemed to keep as 2nd nature (Legend, Last Unicorn, Neverending Story, the PBS Narina movies) I drank it up in all its with glossed CGI that-looks 3D even when not in 3D glory.

I so agree with you, if put next to the chance to get a single David The Gnome type setting film, I would trade a hundred g&Js being made for it....

But there is the question, do we have filmmakers that remember how to make a mythic film that might not sell with everyone anymore? Who is willing to take that risk to maybe only appeal to us if worst comes to worst? And hope beyond hope that we bring our little ones to learn to love the same and foster imagination?

Drtooth

Reaction score
But there is the question, do we have filmmakers that remember how to make a mythic film that might not sell with everyone anymore? Who is willing to take that risk to maybe only appeal to us if worst comes to worst? And hope beyond hope that we bring our little ones to learn to love the same and foster imagination?
Look at How to Train Your Dragon (I have to wait to get the DVD... :mad: ). That film did gangbusters, though the merchandise was all Wal*Mart exclusive. Critics loved it, it's gained a fanbase... it has a wonderful mystic setting. None of them are wondering what an MP3 player is (they finally can't get away with playing CD's on record players). I still say the Smurfs movie could take place in the entire era and still work... heck, work better and not alienate the fans like every single live action remake. But then again, I tend to think of them more as a Belgian comic (a very good one at that... you can find 2 of them at US Bookstores for the first time ever) than that 1980's cartoon that drug the characters down... let's just say they're a littlemore violent when it comes to Brainy or Jokey.

The lawn gnome angle of the film seems as tacky as lawn gnomes are and the houses they adorn. While I can't say I'm a huge fan of David the gnome (Duckula and Danger Mouse were NEVER on when I was at my friend's house. So David and the Noozles were the only ones on... :stick_out_tongue: I LOVE Duckula), a movie of that style would be all sorts of cool. But another Space Chimpsy, Shark Taley, too late to ride the Shrek bandwagon (as Dreamworks is trying to move away from those kinds of movies... even the last Shrek was devoid of farts) by a fifth tier CGI studio? This is the state of animation in the US? Really... we need to have some sort of face palm smilie.

Redsonga

Reaction score
How to Train Your Dragon sort of surprised me. I mean, yes it was an amazing world and very well done..The only thing is the trailers made it seem like they already trained dragons and fit the title a bit more. Silly little thing, I don't hold that against it :3

I love the 80's series Smurfs, but at the same time, if they wanted to make it darker (I never grew up with the comic at all) I would be all for it. The thing is darker would have to be for me, the sort of dark that suits its fantasy world, not dark like Smurfs meets a 'trying to be cool' Air Buddies movie :\