Why didnt Jerry Nelson have a regular character on the Muppet Show?

golden teeth

Reaction score
Jim Hensons has Kermit, Waldorf and Rowlf. Frank Oz had Fozzie and Piggy. Richard Hunt had Statler and Scooter. Dave Goelz had Gonzo.

WHy didnt Jerry have a regular?

BEAR

Reaction score
Who knows. Also keep in mind that even in the feature films, Floyd was Jerry's only principle character, unless you count Camilla.

Jim Henson: Kermit, Rowlf, Dr. Teeth.
Frank Oz: Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Animal.
Dave Goelz: Gonzo, Zoot, Bunsen.
Richard Hunt: Scooter, Janice, Beaker.
Jerry Nelson: Floyd, Camilla.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
He's a good back up guy, with his vocal talents....why limit him?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Well, I think Floyd was meant to be his regular character, but over the years faded out as the band was less and less in the spotlight. I mean, in Sex and Violence, the main characters are Nigel, Sam and Floyd. And Floyd is backstage alot in TMS, moreso than the other band members. Just with a character like Piggy that gradually edged her way into the spotlight, there was most likely less room for Floyd.
Also, guys, don't forget Robin. Both Floyd and Robin were semi-regular characters.

golden teeth

Reaction score
Yeah, he had Floyd, Robin, Lew Zealand, Camilla, Uncle Deadly, Baskerville, Crazy Harry and all kinds of muppets but no regulars.

On the Muppet Show Floyd was obviously his most main, but was probably only in around half of the episodes. The other characters he did only made a few appearances per season. I just find it wierd.

I guess season 5 he had main character Pops who was in every episode, but Pops only had a small amount of screentime every episode.

rexcrk

Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that too! I'm always thinking "well which performer's character is their main one?"

So for me it's:

Jim Henson: Kermit
Frank Oz: either Fozzie or Piggy (I'd prefer it to be Fozzie though...)
Richard Hunt: Scooter
Dave Goelz: Gonzo
Steve Whitmire: Rizzo (and obviously Kermit now)
Bill Barretta: Pepe

But then I think for Jerry Nelson... Floyd? No he's hardly used. Camilla? Maybe but she hasn't been used much either. Crazy Harry or Lew Zealand? Again they have limited roles. Robin? Nope he's a limited character too.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I always considered Floyd, Robin, Crazy Harry, and Lew Zeland as regulars, but then again I just now started watching TMS, so they probably aren't really regulars anyway. They seem like regulars to me though.

Erine81981

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I always considered Floyd, Robin, Crazy Harry, and Lew Zeland as regulars, but then again I just now started watching TMS, so they probably aren't really regulars anyway. They seem like regulars to me though.
I'm with you D.