Why didn't Jerry Nelson have a regular character on the Muppet Show?

golden teeth

Reaction score
Jim Hensons has Kermit, Waldorf and Rowlf. Frank Oz had Fozzie and Piggy. Richard Hunt had Statler and Scooter. Dave Goelz had Gonzo.

WHy didnt Jerry have a regular?

Erine81981

Reaction score
He had Floyd, Robin, Pops and JP Grosse. Those were his characters that he did throught out the show. Didn't know that?

golden teeth

Reaction score
None of them were regular. Floyd was the most regular, and he was only in about half the episodes.

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
jerry usually performed minor characters in scenes, like pigs, or chickens and was given main singing parts in a lot of musicla numbers as he had a very good voice.
In Jim Henson The works it said that one episode Jerry did'nt do anything, he had no lines or anything

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Kaiser Gonzo said:
In Jim Henson The works it said that one episode Jerry did'nt do anything, he had no lines or anything
I wonder which episode that is. Of course, in the book, it says that he was given nothing to do at the read-through. The writers might have changed the script to give his characters something to do. It would be weird if there was an episode that didn't even have lines for a one-shot character (or a character who appeared semi-regularly but didn't always have the same performer).

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
golden teeth said:
Jim Hensons has Kermit, Waldorf and Rowlf. Frank Oz had Fozzie and Piggy. Richard Hunt had Statler and Scooter. Dave Goelz had Gonzo.

WHy didnt Jerry have a regular?
I guess they made up for it by giving him Gobo Fraggle.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I was thinking Floyd was somewhat his main character, although not as major as characters like Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Scooter, etc.

About that one episode where Jerry didn't appear in, he said that he got made and Jim Henson told him to not ever do something like that again, really hard on Jerry. Jerry was shocked because Jim Henson never got mad. That's what I found out in "Jim Hensons" The Works."

ryan

MeepBorkMeep

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
I was thinking Floyd was somewhat his main character, although not as major as characters like Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Scooter, etc.

About that one episode where Jerry didn't appear in, he said that he got made and Jim Henson told him to not ever do something like that again, really hard on Jerry. Jerry was shocked because Jim Henson never got mad. That's what I found out in "Jim Hensons" The Works."

ryan
Well, see, Jim didn't go really hard on Jerry, he was just a little bit sterner than usual. I kind of got the feeling Jerry wasn't very shocked, just more learning a lesson, as Jim took him in private to tell him, as opposed to Jerry making a big show. That's what I perceived it as. *shrug*

Frogster

Reaction score
MeepBorkMeep said:
I guess they made up for it by giving him Gobo Fraggle.
That's what I've always thought... and he also had Pa Gorg, who was head of the castle, the Architect who was head of all the construction sites, and Marjorie, the one who everyone went to for advice. Plus, he had the most background characters that were also the most memorable, like Crazy Harry, Lew Zealand, Uncle Deadly, Pops, Julius Strangepork, Camilla, J.P. Grosse, and played quite a few of the monsters, save for Sweetums. I always considered Robin and Floyd as close as possible to the main line of characters. At least Robin's related to the main character!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
I do have to agree that Jerry's background characters, like Lew Zealand, Pops, Crazy Harry, Dr. Strangeprok, etc. are more memorable than other characters like Marvin Suggs or Wayne and Wanda.

More people are interested in seeing those characters than someone like Marvin.

ryan