Why do everyone think they're pro?

BorkBork

Reaction score
I'm a bit hung up on something. Something that anooys me just a little. How come everyone selling their puppets on ebay call them professional. Professional puppet blablabla.
Many puppets are in fact professional looking, but i've seen some aweful ones where the maker really needs to practis his/her skills.
I for one would absolutely not label my puppets as pro until i have a flourishing business with it. Then you know you are pro.
Sorry for the beatdown but i had to vent hehehe...

Teenager's

Reaction score
To get money.....

You can't verify too well on ebay....and its up to the buyer/consumer to decide if they think the seller is selling a pro item or not

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Professional pretty much = making money for what you do. It has nothing to do with the quality of your work, sadly. :frown:

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
I think they use the terms pro / professional becuase those are hot "keywords" that crazy puppet people like us search for. I search for muppet puppet, professional puppet, pro puppet, monster puppet, etc. So if they didn't use those terms I wouldn't find their puppets.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I think most people throw the word "professional" around too easily. Granted, art is in the eye of the beholder and what one person thinks is crap is another man's gold; but there is a fine line amongst the masses about what is "good" vs what isn't. Then there's the whole "people can be delusional" aspect where they think they're gods at their craft when clearly they lack mass amounts of talent, we all knew that kid in high school right? :wink:

MGov

Reaction score
I think I'll take a picture of an old sweat sock and put it up on eBay as a pro puppet.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
I think most people throw the word "professional" around too easily. Granted, art is in the eye of the beholder and what one person thinks is crap is another man's gold; but there is a fine line amongst the masses about what is "good" vs what isn't. Then there's the whole "people can be delusional" aspect where they think they're gods at their craft when clearly they lack mass amounts of talent, we all knew that kid in high school right? :wink:
Sorry to go entirely off-topic but YAY THE FESTIVE SEASON HAS BEGUN, VIC'S CHRISTMAS AVATAR IS UP! :big_grin:

pjspuppets

Reaction score
"pro" puppets

I believe that people use the word "professional" to differentiate their puppets from children's toys. "Professional" puppets are for those who perform with them, not for those who "play" with them. Does that make sense to anybody else?

PJ

MGov

Reaction score
It makes complete sense.

But it doesn't mean that the puppets are any better than a child's toy.