Why do people hate the newer SS muppets?

Ryan

Reaction score
lilcris said:
I love Rosita too! :smile: And Carmen Oshbar does have a good voice, today they showed the episode where Rosita and Elmo have a play date and cant find each other. Both characters had cute little songs but I loved Rosita's one.

I have a question does Carmen Oshbar just does the voice of Rosita, or is she the puppeteer also?
Both. She was orignally a puppeteer (and still is, I think) on Mexico's Plaza Sesamo, and she started doing SS about 10 years ago or so.

lilcris

Reaction score
So Rosita is a main character on our SS and Plaza Sesamo, cool!

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
lilcris said:
It seems like alot of people on this forum hate Elmo, Zoe, Rosita, Telly, and Baby Bear. Why do people hate them so much? What did they do to you?
How can someone "hate" a fictional character?

But to answer your question: Back when I was a kid (when I walked three miles to school in a snowstorm, uphill both ways) the characters had more depth to them. The writing was more interesting and more sophisticated. A lot of the jokes went over the kids' heads and you'd catch the parents laughing at them. And that was fine...it was great!

Watch some of the early shows, particularly from the first couple years. This was an experimental show, and the producers had no idea if anyone would even watch it at all. This gave them a lot of freedom to do all kinds of bizarre and off-the-wall things which made the show entertaining and it was just a magnet...yes, it was educational, but educational doesn't count for anything if you can't get them to *watch.*

Let me put it this way: One of the Warner Brothers Looney Tunes animators (I think Friz Freleng) said the Looney Tunes crew wer making cartoons to entertain themselves, primarily. In the "Unpaved" book, one of the "Sesame Street" producers is quoted as instructing the writers that they had two goals: (1) to make a show that a five-year-old wants to watch (or whatever the age number was, I don't have it in font of me) and (2) to make a show that *you* want to watch. The Guy Smiley skits, parodies of actual TV shows and movies, the skit in the saloon with Cookie Monster as "The Great Cookie Thief," I could go on and on...these are all examples of things they did on the show when I was a small child that I can rewatch now 30 years later, and you know what? It's still funny!

I don't think the stuff they are doing now will have that kind of "rewatchability." But time will tell. The recent press release about the forthcoming 35th anniversary season certainly sounded interesting. We'll see. But I watched a few shows a couple years ago after having not been a regular viewer since the mid-1970s. I got the impression I wasn't really missing a whole lot by not watching it, and I haven't watched it since. Now, for a 2-year-old, it might be fantastic. But I seriously doubt this is a show that a lot of parents watch with their kids these days.

Elmo is cute and fun. But not when he's shoved down your throat.

The rest of the characters you mentioned, I just find annoying. They don't appeal to me at all. But that's me.

mikealan

Reaction score
Well, I know that some Sesame Street fans who really enjoyed the old format, and when they grew up, they thought the new format was bad. Mike Brian, one of the big Elmo haters from Google.com really enjoyed Sesame Street Unpaved and always hated Elmo.
In the 1998-99 season of Sesame Street, the writers had created episodes #3786-present focusing more on Elmo, Telly, Baby Bear, Zoe, Rosita, Natasha, and Curly Bear, Baby Bear's baby sister (#4055-present).

ceecee

Reaction score
The new characters are ok, except I don't like the ones who don't know how to talk right (namely Elmo and Baby Bear). That's not a good example for kids. I do wish that more of the old characters made appearances on SS. Remember when the muppets used to interact with real people more. And the kids? They don't seem to do that anymore. :boo:

Whatever

Reaction score
ceecee said:
The new characters are ok, except I don't like the ones who don't know how to talk right (namely Elmo and Baby Bear). people more.
What about Cookie Monster? He's an oldi and he doesn't talk right.

ceecee

Reaction score
Yeah, I see your point, but somehow when cookie monster does it, it's ok.

rowf2755

Reaction score
lilcris said:
It seems like alot of people on this forum hate Elmo, Zoe, Rosita, Telly, and Baby Bear. Why do people hate them so much? What did they do to you?
Weird, :smirk: I Like Them :smile: Why Do They Hate Them Really,
Reply To Me If You Like Them PLEASE

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
The reason I don't like the newer charachters is because I didn't grow up with them. Now they mainly focus on Telly, Elmo, Baby Bear, Rosita, and Zoe, When I was growing up they mainly focused on Telly, Forgetful Jones, Dr. Nobel Price, Hoots the Owl, and Ocasionally Elmo.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say... the only new Sesame Characters I really cannot stand are Elisibeth (otr whatever her name is), her Cat, Little Murray Sparkles, and the Monster Clubhouse chracters. But they seem to be waining!