1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Why does my daughter love bert more than ernie?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by lloyd christmas, Sep 8, 2006.

1. lloyd christmas

lloyd christmas New Member

she has told me on numerous occassions and if i ask her why she says its a secret. I was wondering if any of you other parents are experiencing this too? Is Bert sending subliminal messages to our kids about favoritism or is it more of a early sign of prejudice?
  2. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I don't see why it's a problem to like 1 character better than the other, doesn't mean anything bad, and why would you think Bert would be sending bad messages about favortism?

I don't mean that in a rude way I'm just confused about that last part.
  3. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

4. What do you think is wrong about liking Bert better then Ernie? Everyone has different likes and dislikes...
  5. Barry Lee

Barry Lee Active Member

Yeah, don't worry, I like Bert better than Ernie also.
  6. Ziffel

Ziffel New Member

Yep, as I've stated here before several times I always liked Bert better too. And if I had to share an apartment with one of them it would definitely be Bert! (After all, I like to eat and sleep!)
  7. lloyd christmas

lloyd christmas New Member

ok i just asked her again and i promised not to tell anyone (because its a secret!) and she reluctantly told me its because he looks samoan, which doesnt make any sense to me. go figure!?
  8. Samoan? Maybe she meant so mean? Just a guess.
  9. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Let's not worry about it. As long as she's enjoying the show and benifitting from it.

Of course it would be bad if she strats pranking people like Ernie does to Bert. Then I can understand you haveing some concern.
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

::shrugs:: My favorite when I was little was always Ernie. But as I got older I found myself liking Bert more, I started feeling sorry for him everytime Ernie did something annoying, lol. Bert's humor is to be annoyed and frustrated, it's definitely funny.
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

The writing might favor bert more, but I'm an adult here, so It doesn't matter which one any preson too old for Sesame Street likes better to me, there just Muppets!

PS. I like Bert better.
  12. i think its just a kid thing, when i was a kid i liked gordon because he had a moustache, and didnt like bob because he didnt! i liked ernie better too, for no real reason, he just seemed more like my friend than bert did..
  13. exelis

exelis New Member

I was always a Bert sorta kid. Had stamp and coin collections, liked to read books and study things deeply.

There's no prejudice in a situation like that. Prejudice implies decision making before knowledge. Your child clearly knows Ernie and Bert. Just as you wouldn't be considered prejudiced for becoming friends with one person you work with but not another, your daughter shouldn't be considered so, either.
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I've always love both of them.
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have to say, I favor Bert to Ernie, but love both of them. I tend to find Ernie loses a lot of his character's humor without BErt (or at least someone to annoy). There was a great Ernie and Grover opposites song they made recently (after Steve took on the role at least), that was just as funny.

Truth is, Bert isn't boring... he's overly exaggerated boring. Which means, of course, he's funny because he's so dull, everything is a characature. Not to mention, like most of Frank's characters, he can get some great improvised bits, and overexasperation...lik his constant fainting.

You look at Ernie's Show and Tell or skits where he sings with Elmo and you see him just being a kid. Not too much going on. You ad someone to annoy, you've got classic humor. In short, Bert could be kinda funny on his own, but Bert makes Ernie great.
  16. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I agree with that on so many levels.
  17. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

If your daughter loves Bert more than Ernie, you shouldn't be asking why she loves him more. You should be asking your daughter, "if you love Bert so much then why don't you marry him?" ;)
  18. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

I don't really know which one I prefer over Bert or Ernie... but I think the reason I like Squidward so much on SpongeBob SquarePants is because he reminds me of Bert. :p :halo:
  19. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah! And Squidward reminds me of Boober too!

But then, I always thought Boober could have been played by Frank Oz (though of course Dave owned the role).
  20. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Yeah, I can see that. Because Boober sounds a lot like Frank Oz.