Why have KISS and the Muppets never Worked Together?

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I mean, KISS was at their prime in 1977, the same time The Muppet Show was. They had Alice Cooper on the show, whom had a drug and alcohol addiction far worse than the members of KISS. They had countless opportunities throughout the years to team up with each other. What do you guys think? Would they be a good pair? What other rock bands would have been good on The Muppet Show?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I wonder if the Muppet Show didn't consider working with KISS because of the reputation they had in the late seventies of being tough to work with. I don't know about Paul Stanley, but Ace Frehley and Peter Criss were going through personal issues at that time and Gene Simmons has never been known as the easiest person to work with. So maybe the Muppet Show people thought it wouldn't be worth the effort to try and work with them.

As for bands, I think that Paul McCartney would have made an excellent guest on TMS, and he was in Wings for the majority of that time, so I guess that counts as a band, lol.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
Yes, I had thought of that. But there is still the question why they brought on Alice Cooper at the height of his alcoholism. (He went sober I believe a year or two after he was on TMS)
That's a great point about Gene Simmons. I have also heard he is unbearable to work with. (That's why Ace left)

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Yes, I had thought of that. But there is still the question why they brought on Alice Cooper at the height of his alcoholism. (He went sober I believe a year or two after he was on TMS)
I know Alice Cooper did a lot of other TV appearances at the time, so perhaps it was something he was looking to focus on since his sales were declining at that point in time. Perhaps he felt that he had to do TV in order to keep his career going.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
That's a very good point. It was around that time that he broke off from the band and started his own solo stuff. I thought I read somewhere that he was struggling at first, because not much of his stuff was taking off.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Perhaps Alice Cooper asked to be on, and KISS never did? I know Jerry Juhl and others have said after the Season One was so successful, various different guests were lining up to be on the show (as opposed to beforehand when Jim and others could only get those who they happened to be friends with on).

Of course, then again, that doesn't really explain how KISS ended up being on THE PAUL LYNDE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL in 1976.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'll say this for the eleventy-kabillionth time... the fact that there has not been a better attempt to get Weird Al to work with the Muppets on any capacity is a huge injustice.

I could see some licensed Muppet X KISS stuff if Gene wants more money.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I could see some licensed Muppet X KISS stuff if Gene wants more money.
Has that ever been an issue with Gene Simmons? He rivals Jim Davis with Garfield as to creative people who try to stick their brand on anything they can.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The whole band wouldn't have been on The Muppet Show. No band ever was.... The lead singers of bands were (Debbie Harry, for example), I think they wanted to have the Beatles on the show but only if they could get all four members, and it would have been expensive. KISS could have done something else with the Muppets, but not The Muppet Show.