Why isn't Herry Monster around anymore?

BEAR

Reaction score
superfan said:
Telly as the Human Torch? LOL!! Boy I'd hate to see what happens if he got himself worked up into a panic about...anything! Hope Alan has the fire extinguishers ready!

Alan gets himself into enough panics as it is, i don't think he would know where the extinguisher is.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
Kevin Clash said that that one of the reasons thet Elmo has been around so long (about 20 tears now) is that he has a place on the show, just like Cookie Monster or Big Bird, and that he really connects with that 3-4 year old age group. But I guess I see no reason why Herry couldn't work on the show today.
20 tears? I guess that's accurate. I could see a lot of people crying when they see Elmo taking over the show. Lol.

Herry did get quite a bit of airtime in season 34. He hasn't been seen much this season, but maybe that has a little to do with Jerry Nelson retiring.

BEAR

Reaction score
They still replay the clip where Herry and a bunch of (unnamed) monsters sing with Garth Brooks. I think it is a couple years old but great seeing Herry with a featured role.

I am glad to see Herry Monster in that final number with everyone on the stoop in On the Street We Live On, but what I don't understand is why he was the only one who didn't have any lines in the whole show!? He was just sitting there on the stoop with Bert and Ernie but never even got a solo line. He even looked sad.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
I'd have to say Herry's role has been reduced to Annoynomous Sesame Street Monster within recent years. He's hardly ever there and when he is, he isn't even acknowledged. I guarantee you if you asked little kids today about him they would have no clue who your'e talking about and look at you like you were crazy. It's a shame. A total waste of an excellent Monster.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
They still replay the clip where Herry and a bunch of (unnamed) monsters sing with Garth Brooks. I think it is a couple years old but great seeing Herry with a featured role.

I am glad to see Herry Monster in that final number with everyone on the stoop in On the Street We Live On, but what I don't understand is why he was the only one who didn't have any lines in the whole show!? He was just sitting there on the stoop with Bert and Ernie but never even got a solo line. He even looked sad.
I think he did have one line in "The Steet We Live On." Didn't he say "Wait for me?" or something like that? I know Grover did.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
I think he did have one line in "The Steet We Live On." Didn't he say "Wait for me?" or something like that? I know Grover did.
When was this?

Censored

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
I think Herry would fit in great with the "fantastic 4" For those of you who might not remember. Back in the 70's and throughout most of the 80's Herry Monster was a Gruff and Tough Monster with an attitude about him. This obviously wasn't a good role model charachter for kids, but instead of writing him out of the show, in the late 80's they changed his charachter to be more like one kids could relate to. He became more sensitive, and had a dolly, and liked playing with toys and seemed more innocent like. I think this was a good change they made, and I really think it's a total waste of a good charachter. They need to let him out of that filing cabinet. The poor guy doesn't deserve to be locked away in there.

I'm a Fantastic Four fan and the Thing has always been my favorite member, so it's kind of cool to see it being related to one of my favorite shows.

As for Herry, I think he really always was sensitive, but he was often misunderstood by other muppets because of his gruff manner. I can remember several early episodes where this was emphasized.

In one very early skit, Herry Monster comes to Farley's door, growling, snarling, and acting wild. Farley gets so scared he crashes through the wall to run away, but then Herry says that he just wanted to see if he could come out and play with "my dollies and me." He then sniffs as though crying and sadly says, "Oh, well." A similar early skit was where he scared Little Bird, but he just wanted to play the "imagination game". In another skit a few years into the seventies, Herry confronts Ernie about having his yellow, bouncing ball. But, although Herry appeared angry, he really just wanted to see if Ernie could play catch. Herry didn't seem to understand that he presented himself in a menacing manner even though he meant no harm.

It was only in the mid-seventies that the running gag about Herry accidentally breaking things seemed to get started. The first time that was shown may have been when he sang "I can't help it" as he wrecked Hooper's store (But, that was the good old days when Hooper's store could get wrecked in one episode and be as good as new in the next. LOL).

I really didn't like how they depicted Herry in the later years. Herry's nose had been evolving throughout the show, but why they decided to give it that mashed in look is beyond me. I also think they emphasized his being a child a little too much and got too far away from the humor that made him famous such as accidentally scaring people and breaking things. There was a skit in the 90's where he spent the night at Gabby's house and kept breaking things that Maria had to fix, and although funny, it just wasn't like it used to be.

I guess Herry always was a little bit underrated, but it sounds like he's practically nowhere now. As Herry would say, "Oh, well...(sniff!)"

mikebennidict

Reaction score
I think Herry was mad because after all it was his ball Ernie was taking and the lesson was don't take something that you find out somewhere because it probably belongs to someone. I also remember some episode where he was trying to lift something heavy by the apartment and for some reason as silly as it might sound, I think it might of been the apartment itself but that was so long ago I couldn't remember since that was so long ago. he began to cry saying he wasn't strong enough. Susan comforts him though I can't remember what he said.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
When was this?
The Count was counting monsters in the parade in order to find the number of the day. Herry was in the line with the other monsters.

BEAR

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
The Count was counting monsters in the parade in order to find the number of the day. Herry was in the line with the other monsters.

That's right! I remember that now. Thanks.