Why people dislike modern Sesame Street

Drtooth

Reaction score
Let's just say they painted themselves into a real corner with the format. It isn't just to be "hip" or anything, it's because they want to make the show segmented so they can use the segments here and overseas. The overseas markets are starting to want to walk away from co-productions and move on to dubbed segments making up a show (like Sesamegade or whatever it is in Denmark with Elmo hosting).

So it isn't just a budget thing, it's a doubt budget, make ever part of the buffalo useful, why didn't more people buy Elmo Live, budget thing.

My main problem is that they've painted themselves into such a corner with reruns and 26 episode seasons they can't even alternate the segments. THAT's what they need. They've alternated Super Grover 2.0 with Murray and Ernie and Bert... why not alternate Abby in that mix too, and add a well deserved extra 10 minutes of random stuff to the show? SS NEEDS an overhaul after this season so we don't get stuck with so much reused footage reused that soon.

I swear, back when they had to make painful layoffs, they let go a LOT of people who put episode by episode segments together, leaving the burden on a smaller group. And we all know what happens when you work on a TV show with deadlines....

As for the writing, I don't think there IS even a place for character development and personality anymore. They spend so much time trying to teach hundreds of little factoids about something, they have to make lousy guessing game episodes that run 3 or 4 a season. Again, that's the initiative problem. But, when an episode flows organically and turns into an actual story (like Grouch Mother's Day), the characters are free to actually ACT like characters.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
they think new equals hip. they're wrong. new equals trendy. hipness is from quality
Unfortunately, nobody seems to see it that way; it's the common misconception with just about everything, especially the media, that new = hip, and therefore, hip = trendy.

And Drtooth, you seem to have crossed signals regarding PBS; coming from someone who has connections with PBS, it's not them who are FORCING SW to reduce the show to 26 episodes a season and whatnot, this all stems from BOTH viewer support from pledges and such, AND funding from the government. We all know that Conservatives and Republicans have been wanting to ax PBS for decades, meanwhile, the Conservatives and Republicans civilians always make sure that their propaganda and such overshadow the reasoning from their Liberal, Democratic "opponents" (as I've said many times befores: if you're Liberal in this country, you have no voice).

And it's not just SST that's being affected by this, it effects all the other kids programming, that the elephant people claim brainwash kids into accepting ways-of-life that they feel otherwise shouldn't be accepted *cough* the lesbian episode of Postcards from Buster *cough*. That's why there AREN'T pledge drives for children's programming anymore (believe, if there were, I'd still be at my local PBS doing Steve in the afternoon every March and August): these radical groups formed by Conservatives have dealt a devastated blow to viewer support for the PBS Kids shows, and as such, they can't rake in as much finances as they require at the pledge drives because they keep losing viewer support and funding.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And it's not just SST that's being affected by this, it effects all the other kids programming, that the elephant people claim brainwash kids into accepting ways-of-life that they feel otherwise shouldn't be accepted *cough* the lesbian episode of Postcards from Buster *cough*. That's why there AREN'T pledge drives for children's programming anymore (believe, if there were, I'd still be at my local PBS doing Steve in the afternoon every March and August): these radical groups formed by Conservatives have dealt a devastated blow to viewer support for the PBS Kids shows, and as such, they can't rake in as much finances as they require at the pledge drives because they keep losing viewer support and funding.
I'm sure that's a reason, but even our supposedly liberal PBS stations don't have that anymore, either. They even stopped showing Postcards from Buster before anyone else and they're THE PRODUCTION COMPANY (WGBH). It wasn't even worth it, because Postcards from Buster was a bore.

PBS is hurting all over. All the pledge drives now have programming that appeals to seniors so they can give them their social security check... and all the money you KNOW is going to outbidding BBC America on crappy current British crime drams. Jeez at LEAST give us Monty Python or Mr. Bean or something REMOTELY enjoyable for us Britcom geeks.

This also causes the other PBS kids shows to be rerun at ridiculous levels too.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
Let's just say they painted themselves into a real corner with the format. It isn't just to be "hip" or anything, it's because they want to make the show segmented so they can use the segments here and overseas.
good point--block formatting was originally for international tv, and the workshop is focusing so much on bringing Sesame Street to the third world even in their publicity and funding campaigns, that they're beginning to ignore their original u.s. audience.

of course, the u.s. audience is beginning to ignore television, and the internet is becoming a better place to watch tv--cheaper, greater diversity of content, you can watch when you want, no commercials...(not to mention more interactive potential for educational shows...) and Sesame Street's magazine format segments are PERFECT for this--that's why they go viral on youtube. it's like Sesame Street was 40 years ahead of its time developing content for a format that didn't even exist yet. except instead of using it, they've swtiched to block formatting, which is only good for tv. and when they try to put something from the new formatting on youtube, it's a fail--just look at the comments under "There's an App for That". people ***** and moan about how awful it is for sesame street to be encouraging kids to think the latest most expensive tech gadgets are cool. that's of course the opposite message of the episode, but SW took their own darned song out of context and it isn't intended to stand alone like magazine format clips are.

and while we're on the topic of their use of new trying-too-hard-to-be-trendy material only...the workshop's outlook & the way they're treating their own content & production is exactly the opposite of what that episode's message is. Sesame Street's metaphorical old pogo stick still does the important job better than its new flashy one does. yet another case of Sesame Street writers needing to watch more Sesame Street.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Um, actually, you get commercials on the internet now.

Hulu brings you "limited commercial 'inter-options'", even though their commercial interruptions have been increasing as of late; and also, certain YouTube videos will force you to sit through a commercial or two before you can actually watch the video you were wanting to see.

Drtooth

Reaction score
good point--block formatting was originally for international tv, and the workshop is focusing so much on bringing Sesame Street to the third world even in their publicity and funding campaigns, that they're beginning to ignore their original u.s. audience.

I think their international reach, especially in some cases, is very important. But these longer, bigger segments that go to fill out an international children's programming block (ironically, like what the show is trying to be) are what's the most important right now. It's cost cutting, to be sure, but it's also what the foreign companies want. I guess without the letter and number focus, things are more culturally ambiguous? But let's say we didn't get to see them and they were foreign production only stuff. Remember that we were complaining we wouldn't see Ernie and Bert's Great Adventures, then came the decision (either connected or disconnected to those comments) to integrate them into the American show?

My problem is, these are actually pretty good. MUCH better than the plotless Elmo's World, which is just Elmo mugging the camera for 15 minutes. But Abby should have never been daily, nor should Murray had a Little lamb. It seems mainly in contrast to the fact they have to cut new episodes with reruns and it ruins the "structure," but 13 episodes used in 70 episodes? And that's in a field of heavy reruns as well. That's just going to make more kids switch the channels at once to the competition they're fighting against.

of course, the u.s. audience is beginning to ignore television, and the internet is becoming a better place to watch tv--cheaper, greater diversity of content, you can watch when you want, no commercials...(not to mention more interactive potential for educational shows...) and Sesame Street's magazine format segments are PERFECT for this--that's why they go viral on youtube. it's like Sesame Street was 40 years ahead of its time developing content for a format that didn't even exist yet. except instead of using it, they've swtiched to block formatting, which is only good for tv. and when they try to put something from the new formatting on youtube, it's a fail--just look at the comments under "There's an App for That". people ***** and moan about how awful it is for sesame street to be encouraging kids to think the latest most expensive tech gadgets are cool. that's of course the opposite message of the episode, but SW took their own darned song out of context and it isn't intended to stand alone like magazine format clips are.
Everyone's ignoring television actually... all over the world. It's killing everything in every country. But all I can say is, with what happened to the Katy Perry segment, that's all I can say about putting stuff on the internet. People LOVE making dub comments online. They stumble onto things after watching bum fights or the latest "heartwarming" story of someone who they'd cast out of society that has a hidden talent and they're turned into valuable members of society who we'll forget when the next one comes across. Everything is OUT of context. But make no mistake, the only reason that matters is because silly comments lead to silly actions. other than that, it's all the cable issue. Since everyone has better access to it, PBS has become irrelevant. Not just for kid's programming, either.

yet another case of Sesame Street writers needing to watch more Sesame Street.
I'm sorry, but there's no doubt there's pressure from higher ups that the writers are under. I can't say the writing is bad, or anything...but there's a real air of too many cooks. I'm sure they have to follow guidelines about having to write guessing game episodes. But when they're actually free to WRITE an episode they want to write, the talent shows. Remember... they have to follow curricula and initiatives that are STRONGLY enforced by upper management.

Hulu brings you "limited commercial 'inter-options'", even though their commercial interruptions have been increasing as of late; and also, certain YouTube videos will force you to sit through a commercial or two before you can actually watch the video you were wanting to see.
UGh! Tell me about it. Sitting through one or 2 for a half hour show isn't bad, but a minute long commercial before a 2 minute or less YT vid? Bull... Bull bull bull!

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Doesn't SW make money from their YouTube channel? I read that they can make around $5000 for a video with 1 million views. They also get a lot of money from channel views and subscriber numbers.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder how much they actually get to keep. Some of it clearly goes to writers, and I'm guessing some residuals and rights for celebrities. But it is a pretty good money maker. But there always needs to be more revenue. PBS probably gives them little, they have like 5 sponsors already> I really hope that when the Hasbro license starts up, we get some good stuff. Already, I see Play Doh sets. I hope they have something for older fans somewhere. I'm not talking Four Horsemen type stuff, just some little cheap collectibles would be nice.

Convincing John

Reaction score
There's got to be a way they can juggle all of this stuff around so kids won't get bored with the same AFFS for the 127th time.

the Super Grover 2.0 segments are brilliant, as was the Grouch's Mother's Day and other Oscar stories. Caroll Spinney still does amazing work. So does Marty Robinson. I loved, loved LOVED where Telly and Oscar did the segment on the letter B. It was classic Telly and Oscar: a wonderful, short educational segment that could have easily been shot back in 1988. They still test these shows before airing, right? Well, if clips like that still work after all these years, why not do more bits like that?

Look how well "I Love My Hair" was received. It was a 2 minute song about pride. The song featuring Will.i.am also had positive feedback. They've done many wonderful songs about pride in the past. Songs by Kingston Livingston III, Grover and Roosevelt Franklin come to mind. These type of bits prove that Elmo doesn't have to be onscreen ALL the time in order for kids to get something out of the show.

If it has to do with budget...then those clips couldn't have cost much compared to the more elaborate things they've done with CGI, right? Just look at the backgrounds for one thing...the street, a blank limbo set and a blank white background. Heavily repeated gerbilcorn antics don't compare in content and quality to these short little gems--the best type of thing Sesame Street has done for ages. With old school Sesame Street, if you didn't like a clip, it would go away shortly. Nowadays, when AFFS or Elmo's World comes on, a kid could go away, eat lunch, come back and not have missed a thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it now. Elmo's World has always had minimal (at best) educational content. It talks down to kids, being a clone of Blues Clues from the beginning (do kids even like Blues Clues anymore?)

I realize the whole "kids feel empowered by being able to do something that Mr. Noodle can't do" concept. I got news for them. There was someone else who played the role ten times better for thirty years. Someone who was a fully-formed three dimensional character kids could relate to----->:wisdom:

Buddy and Jim were abandoned because the segments went on forever and they didn't work. Mr. Noodle is basically the same thing only he doesn't talk and there are voiceover kids yelling at him the whole time. The "Secret Drawings" sketches narrated by Gary Owens did it better, quicker and got the point across without dragging it out.

I think it makes more sense to have a young Muppet not know what to do and the kids (onscreen) or an adult (like Gordon) help out if needed. Mr. Noodle, clown though he is, isn't an effective teacher as the humans on the street or a Muppet with a 3D personality.

To have 15 minutes on one topic? Uh, even little kids know what all the Elmo's World topics are: teeth, hats, feet, books.

Kids are drawn to Elmo for the same reason they rush to the window to see a fire truck race by. Elmo is bright red, he's loud and you can't help but see him because he draws a lot of attention to himself. The same principles apply to the fire truck.

Still, part of Sesame Street's charm is that it takes time to show several segments about familiar and unfamiliar things to the average kid. I thought the "segments filmed out in the real world" were really interesting. I loved learning about different cultures when I was little. I grew up in Iowa in a "middle of nowhere" town. This was one of my favorite (non-street/Muppet/animated) bits when I was little. I was intrigued by those exotic trees that were obviously real. Plus, the fruit I saw usually in cartoons was harvested, peeled and opened.

My hometown had virtually zero diversity--it was all white, mostly senior citizens with less energy than these two:sleep::boo: and nothing but corn, corn, corn as far as the eye can see. This clip from Family Guy could just as easily apply to where I grew up in Iowa.

I learned first from Sesame Street that there were other people in the world that had different skin colors and spoke different languages. Kids today growing up in areas like I did can still learn about diversity from Sesame Street, which is a wonderful thing.

Sonia Manzano once said in an interview that "People from the Midwest come up to me and say 'you were the first Puerto Rican I ever saw'. How can that be?" Well, it is true in some cases. If I ever met her, I could honestly say the same thing.

Instead of shoving brocoli down kids throats or having Elmo sing one word to the tune of "Jingle Bells" every day, Sesame Street should expand the minds of kids even more. Kids are just beginning their journey in life and Sesame Street should do just what Rowlf and Kermit wanted it to do: open up new worlds to the kids.

Convincing John

Drtooth

Reaction score
The worst part is, they're completely and utterly stuck with Elmo's World. They tried to do away with it a few seasons ago, but kids where apparently whining that Elmo wasn't on. They conditioned kids to want something, and they've painted themselves into a corner. I love how it was the only way to get Kermit back on the show in a cameo (hopefully the use on the Silly Storytime DVD is starting to loosen them up), but they haven't had a single new EW all season long. I still think if they replace it with Elmo's Backyard, they could dump the thing.

I really like Abby and all, but we all can agree a daily segment was a mistake and they were no where NEAR able to do that. I wonder if they could only afford 13 segments, and hoped that by the next season 13 more would have been ready. These things should ALL alternate.

They shouldn't half to choose between muppet segments and outside filmed segments (I feel that's been the case the last few years) because of the ever shrinking time in between segments.