Why Rudolf Nureyev was late for his episode...

foodini

Reaction score
When Rudolph Nureyev was to appear on the Muppet Show, he turned up about ten minutes late, disturbing Sam the Eagle :attitude: to no end. There was a major traffic jam slowing his progress to the Show, though on his motorcycle Nureyev was able to weave his way up to the source of the problem; a herd of caribou were picketing the theater. They were claiming that many of the Muppets did not have their Actors' Guild memberships.

Nureyev told the police there that he'd have a word with the disgruntled cervids and approached. The police watched with interest as a great debate ensued, impressed by Nureyev's total composure and control of the situation.

After a few moments, there appeared to be some agreement. The caribou dispersed and Nureyev entered the Theater only a few minutes late. One of the officers expressed his surprise at the result to his partner, who simply shrugged and replied, "Foregone conclusion. After all, Rudolf Nureyev knows
Reindeer."

- Hope you like my joke...

Ron Barry

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
WOCKA WOCKA!! That's pretty funny! Rudlof; reindeer! HAA!!

foodini

Reaction score
He was "late."

I'm not sure what the deal was with that episode - usually, they introduce the
guest in some fashion right off. In Nureyev's case, Scooter comes into the dressing
room, looks around, and says something like "Yep, I knew he was too smart to show
up." The opening number is followed by a bit between :attitude: and :smile: where they
talk about him not being there. I can't say for sure, but I think they did another short
sketch, then went back to the desk, where Nureyev was discussed again, THEN
he shows up. It must be the latest intro of a guest there was in the show. Please
correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, he shows up in biker duds, and the joke worked so well with "Rudolph the
red-nosed reindeer" that I just decided to work the two together. =]

fOOdini

foodini

Reaction score
I guess I skipped my point....

I was going to say that I don't know if there was some reason why Nureyev was
brought into the episode late. He did seem to dominate the rest of the show... I
would guess that he got as much air time as everyone else. Anyone out there know?

fOOdini

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
There's no telling why they did that, but it seems that as the later seasons were approaching Jim was trying different things with the Muppet Show. Such could be the case where he decided just to try something different. I do remember reading or hearing that he wanted to dance ballet with Miss Piggy, but since they couldn't do that (for obvious reasons) they constructed a female pig ballerina instead.