Why they don't show old Muppet sketches anymore

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
i think the Sesame Workshop is just either being overprotected or are more than less satisfying their own selfishness.
You know what I think? I think a twenty-thirtysomething adult griping and complaining that a show that's first and foremost intended for young kids doesn't meet "their" standards and ideals of what it "should" be, is what's REALLY selfish, IMO.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I remember as a kid,growing up in the 70s,the classic puppet,Joe Raposo,etc.... old skits were one of the main reasons I turned into SS;besides watching my fav. muppets,people and learning what was being taught.I'm so happy I have a photographic mind,and can replay all my old favs. whenever I want too.It's not the same as watching them,but memories are better than nothing,I think.I'm still turning in to watch SS these days,just to see what kind of new characters,skits,guests are on.Glad to see SS is still around,but I miss the old format. :sympathy: :cry:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
You know what I think? I think a twenty-thirtysomething adult griping and complaining that a show that's first and foremost intended for young kids doesn't meet "their" standards and ideals of what it "should" be, is what's REALLY selfish, IMO.
well i can't speak for everyone here. obviously it's what the kids think that's important. but what i'm saying and some of us are saying is some of their reasons for not showing certain skits whether it's muppet of other skits are silly.

Censored

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
What's really selfish is that the producers of today won't allow this generation of children to have the same fun that we had because they listen to stuffy "experts" who have their heads stuck in the sand (and sometimes somewhere else), impose all types of subjective values on what's "good" for children, don't have a clue about who children really are and what they want, and are only interested in feeding their own professional egos. That, my friend, is the true definition of "selfishness."

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
well i can't speak for everyone here. obviously it's what the kids think that's important. but what i'm saying and some of us are saying is some of their reasons for not showing certain skits whether it's muppet of other skits are silly.

I wouldn't say their reasons are silly, I'd say their reasons are stupid. People talk like we're asking them to show some dark, horrible thing from the past that would scar children for life. It was ALWAYS a children's show for God's sake. If this generation of adults would stop trying to be so superior and would lighten up a little, a demon would not be popping up in everything that was once considered wholesome.

Splurge

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
Eventually they started remaking old skits using the old soundtracks and a new video. Like Rubber Duckie, I don't wanna live one the moon, La La La, and C is for Cookie.
At least all four of the songs you mentioned are available in their original format on commercial VHS. "C is for Cookie", by the way, appears on four tapes.

Lone Wolf

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I wouldn't say their reasons are silly, I'd say their reasons are stupid.
Oh, yeah. BIG distinction there...thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

Your conspiracy theories are what sound silly to me right now. You genuinely seem to believe that SW has totally done away with vintage classic clips, show alot of Elmo is done just to annoy you and deprive you of your nostalgic wants.

Bottom line: SW doesn't care what you want, they care what kids want. You say they don't know what kids want (or should want) but how is it that you seem so certain to know what's in kids best interests?

I won't hold my breath waiting for a response.

Censored

Reaction score
Lone Wolf said:
Oh, yeah. BIG distinction there...thanks for clearing that up. :rolleyes:

Your conspiracy theories are what sound silly to me right now. You genuinely seem to believe that SW has totally done away with vintage classic clips, show alot of Elmo is done just to annoy you and deprive you of your nostalgic wants.

Bottom line: SW doesn't care what you want, they care what kids want. You say they don't know what kids want (or should want) but how is it that you seem so certain to know what's in kids best interests?

I won't hold my breath waiting for a response.

Bottom line: Sesame Street was always for kids. The episodes I want to see again were for kids. I was a kid when I saw it; I liked it. Many others here were kids when they saw it; they liked it. It didn't hurt us; it taught us, made us laugh, and entertained us. It's absurd to think that the content of the old shows are somehow inappropriate for children today or uninteresting to them. We have good memories about what was good for us in childhood and we believe that it can also be good for the children of today.

I do have to wonder what qualifies someone as an "expert" that they can sit back and dictate what type of children's programming is no longer appropriate. I'm a clinical social worker with a Master's Degree who has been doing crisis intervention with children and families for the past two and a half years. Take it from someone on the front lines, pal, Sesame Street was NEVER the problem. There are REAL problems out there and the sooner these "experts" start putting their efforts into addressing real issues for children, the better we'll all be. It is MY professional opinion that Sesame Street of yesterday was harmless and could only brighten children's lives. I say this not just as a social worker, but as a former child.

Mark The Shark

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
There are REAL problems out there and the sooner these "experts" start putting their efforts into addressing real issues for children, the better we'll all be
Yeah, but even though I agree with you, and it seems stupefyingly obvious to me, any politician running on that kind of platform would never, ever get elected, because we live in a "feel-good" "instant gratification" society which hammers home the message over and over again that we don't have to take responsibility for ourselves and our families, or if someone goes out and starts a fight or shoots someone, they aren't guilty, it's because our society failed them. And if they happen to be a member of a protected special-interest minority group, then that's all the better.

Censored

Reaction score
Mark The Shark said:
Yeah, but even though I agree with you, and it seems stupefyingly obvious to me, any politician running on that kind of platform would never, ever get elected, because we live in a "feel-good" "instant gratification" society which hammers home the message over and over again that we don't have to take responsibility for ourselves and our families, or if someone goes out and starts a fight or shoots someone, they aren't guilty, it's because our society failed them. And if they happen to be a member of a protected special-interest minority group, then that's all the better.
Well, it certainly wasn't my intention to turn this into a political or racial discussion. My position is not really coming from the left or the right, but rather simple common sense that both sides used to have. Everyone ultimately should accept personal responsibility for their actions, and even if one does believe society is partially to blame, to think that vintage Sesame Street could have ever been an evil catalyst is absurd. As for minority groups, one of the reasons that I've always respected Sesame Street so much was because it promoted racial harmony, not by preaching, but simply by example as in showing blacks and whites living together peacefully in an urban community. A large part of my complaint about Sesame Street today is that the producers seem to have almost completely turned their backs on the original population that they were trying to reach, impoverished inner city children who needed to smile and believe in the future. What really goes wrong is when PC standards start to run amuck and Roosevelt Franklin is considered "racist" simply because he had a "cultural identity" to him. Before you know it, everything is looked at under a microscope and labeled "bad" by some overzealous "professional" who just doesn't understand the concept of moderation and balance.