Why we all like Sesame Street

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Even though some people think it's "just a show for preschoolers" I was just wondering what it is about Sesame Street that makes it special and unique to you. Me I like it because of the fact that it's been on TV for the past 36 years and so many different changes have taken place during those years. There's a lot of Facts and Opinions about the show's past that really interest me. While I'm not to big on the way Sesame Street is now I love the classic Sesame Street and a lot of the old and short lived charachters who have appeared on the show in the past. So I guess if I had to give a reason, it would be the fact that the show is 36 years old and so many different things have happened during those years that it gives me a lot to think about and study. How about everybody else? What is the one thing that makes you love Sesame Street so much? And don't anyone dare say Elmo. LOL :wink:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
That's a tough question. I guess I've always been a fan of the Muppets in general, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I started getting the Muppet movies on video and the Muppet collection grew from there. I guess I started getting into getting more classic Sesame Street and Muppet stuff in general on video and I'm more into collecting it now. I think I've always been a fan though. I grew up watching Sesame Street and that's the main thing for me. I watched it through the 1980s and mostly through the 1990s and still catch it every now and then now. Of course, I've always loved any kind of puppet production in general and nothing's ever been as incredible and cool as Jim Henson's Muppets. (Though I also dearly love Mr. Rogers' puppets on Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood- another childhood and current favorite!)

But I love watching Sesame Street to see Kermit's interactions with Grover, to see Bert and Ernie, to see Big Bird and Snuffy, to see Oscar and Telly, to see Cookie Monster and Herry, to see Don Music and Sherlock Hemlock, to see Mumford the Magician, the Count and Guy Smiley and Barkley and Forgetful Jones and Rodeo Rosie and Biff and Sully and Bruno and Prairie Dawn and Betty Lou and Professor Hastings and Beautiful Day Monster and Lefty the Salesman and Harvey Kneeslapper and Fat Blue (Mr. Johnson) and Roosevelt Franklin and Simon Soundman and Hard Hat Henry Harris and Gladys the Cow and even Zoey, Rosita, Baby Bear and Elmo, and to see Bob, Linda, Maria, Luis, Gordon, Susan, Uncle Wally, Mr. Hooper, David, Gina, Savion, Mike, Mr. Hanford, Ruthie, Alan, Gabriella and Miles and all the kids and all the humans that have populated the show. I love all the cool segments like "Monsterpiece Theatre" and the great songs like "Being Green", "C is for Cookie", "Rubber Duckie", "Cooperation" and the funny parodies like "Miami Mice" and the song parodies like "C Drives Me Crazy" and all the Beatles songs they sang like "Octopus' Garden" and the parody, "Letter B" and celebrity appearances like Robin Williams and C-3P0 and R2-D2 and Mr. Rogers. But I think the greatest thing about Sesame Street is that it always felt like your family. Just like Mr. Rogers was always the greatest neighbor you could ever ask for and he was my neighbor, Sesame Street was like my immediate family. You always felt the warm sense of community on Sesame Street, just as Maria explained at the end of "Follow That Bird". Big Bird's family was made up of monsters, grouches, frogs, bears, and people, but it was still a family that cared for each other and took care of each other and loved each other and it made absolutely no difference what they looked like or where they were from.
I think that's always been one of Sesame Street's strongest points and greatest things about it.

It's funny, it's nostalgic, it's comforting, and it's warm and caring. And loving. And it's still way better than almost anything else on current network channels. So yeah, I'm not ashamed at 23 to say I love Sesame Street!!!!!!!!!!!

(and of course, The Muppet Show and most any other Henson production!)
:smile: :frown: :stick_out_tongue: (we definitely need a Big Bird smiley!)

Rosewood

Reaction score
What I loved about Sesame Street

QUOTE=Gonzoleaper
I love watching Sesame Street to see Kermit's interactions with Grover, to see Bert and Ernie, to see Big Bird and Snuffy, to see Oscar and Telly, to see Cookie Monster and Herry, to see Don Music and Sherlock Hemlock, to see Mumford the Magician, the Count and Guy Smiley and Barkley and Forgetful Jones and Rodeo Rosie and Biff and Sully and Bruno and Prairie Dawn and Betty Lou and Professor Hastings and Beautiful Day Monster and Lefty the Salesman and Harvey Kneeslapper and Fat Blue (Mr. Johnson) and Roosevelt Franklin and Simon Soundman and Hard Hat Henry Harris and Gladys the Cow
It's funny, it's nostalgic, it's comforting, and it's warm and caring. And loving. And it's still way better than almost anything else on current network channels. So yeah, I'm not ashamed at 23 to say I love Sesame Street!!!!!!!!

My feelings as well, and I'm 38! However, I do think the one thing I loved most about SS was the feeling of anticipation I would get once the 60 minute show had started, due to the fact that you never knew what to expect! It kept me rivited to the screen because I had no idea what segment was going to be shown next, and I didnt want to take the chance of missing out on anything! I guess that is what I miss most when watching SS today with my kids. You could literally set your recorder to cut out certain segments of the show, if you wanted, due to the fact that they have the same "themed" segments, at the same time, on every episode! They have made the daily schedule so stringent that sometimes I feel like I'm in boot camp! What ever happened to "opening the sail of your boat and letting the gental wind take you where ever it may?" Ever since this strict regiment-type schedule has been forced upon SS, I feel like the "wind" has been simply been taken from my sail, leaving me and my boat stranded in the middle of a lake, paddeling frantically, but making very little headway. I love, (and greatly wmiss), the "breeze of Sesame Street". :cry: ,

fatblue

Reaction score
There is so much garbage on TV that this show makes people forget all of that, and still ensures that there are programs trying to promote good values. When I watched back in the day, I also enjoyed the anticipaton of the show. I loved ANY sketch with Kermit, the Bert and Ernie ones, well, what can you say. There was never any underlying controversial issues, the muppets were wholesome as could be, and this is why so many parents I'm sure encourage their kids to watch.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Why I like Sesame Street? I never in my life before put that into words. It's hard for me to describe in words why I like Sesame Street (probably due to all the torment I went through during school.) You know, asking me why I like Sesame Street is just asking kids why they like Apple Jacks. To make it simple: I just do!

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Why I like Sesame Street

Let me Count the reasons I like Sesame Street

1. The Muppets
2. Trying to figure out how this new Muppet trick works
3. The human cast on the Street
4. The celebrity guest stars
5. It's educational
6. It's fun
7. My daughter loves Elmo and ok I love him too.
8. Nostalgia
9. It's one of the longest running children's shows still on today.
10. It's where my castle is!

HA HA HA (Thunder and Lightning)

Great now it's raining on my computer I really have to tell all these Muppets to go home having them as houseguests is getting to be more of a hassle than I thought it would be.