Why?

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Yeah, part of that is what I said in my first attempt at explaining (I said it wasn't the normal Fluff and fun that people knew Henson for). There are parts I think are quite accurate, and some I don't fully agree with, but on the whole, good explaination. You gave me an explaination, and I didn't even need one! :smile: Good post

Chilly Down Rock.

-Matt

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fantasy pics are notoriously a tough sale. Labyrinth missed the mark, I believe, because there was no real sense of jeopardy. Loved the film, but the "silly battle" at the end really didn't sell me. I don't mean it needed to be bloody, have exposed violence or have anyone killed, but it just didn't have the right amount of suspense. It was all silliness, which even diluted the silly parts. The film's pacing was also slow. Still, I have to say I loved this film. The Dark Crystal, on the other hand, well...it was so brilliant that people didn't know what to make of it. That was my feeling when I saw it as a kid, but it was more a feeling of amazement. My Dad (who usually doesn't like such fare) took me to see it and even he liked the film!

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chilly Down
I've done no research on the following hypothesis, so don't take it as fact, but here's what I think happened. People went to The Dark Crystal knowing it was a "Jim Henson film" -- and that's all they knew about it. If they read the reviews, if they watched the commercials more closely, they might have been more informed. But a lot of people don't take the time and effort to figure that out. "Jim Henson? That's good enough for me. I love that cute Muppet stuff." So parents around the world brought their kids to see the movie...and five minutes into it, these little creatures have their souls sucked out by hideous, large, deformed skeletal birds. Parents brought their shrieking, crying kids out of the movie theater and demanded a refund.

As someone who went to see Dark Crystal in the theater *as* a child (ok well, pre-teen), I have to say that I totally agree with your hypothesis. I was really disappointed in DC at the time. I fully expected something light-hearted and Muppety, and about ten minutes into it, was like, "Huh?". Come to think of it, I now remember that I went to see it with kids that I "babysat" (with the mom around due to my age), and I think they were really afraid! DC may have been a good film, but it missed its audience, and by that, I don't mean that it was too "smart". For kids, it was just too scary, and for adults, that meant an unhappy movie experience. Adult Muppet fans just can't carry a film to box office success alone.

As for Labyrinth, I went to see that with a friend, and we both liked it. However, let it be stated that, at the time, the only reason we were seeing it was for David Bowie. (Ok, so maybe I just wouldn't fess up to wanting to see Muppets too.) I was mildly miffed that there were not any "familiar" Muppets in it, but who had time to be concerned about that? I was too busy being jarred into adolescence by those striped pants. Haha.

Jackie

Reaction score
With no expectations, good movies and good. :smile:

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I agree, that The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth aren't exactly the kind of movies most people want to see. I still love them. They are great movies. I wasn't around when they came out, so I never heard about the box office stuff.

Sir Didymus

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Jamie,

I agree that there could have been a greater sense of peril at the end of the film. However, that in part supports my hypothesis that Jim was afraid of doing anything that might scare anyone the second time around. Ironically, it backfired on him twice: audiences at the time didn't see it because they assumed it was too dark, and Muppet fans watching now wish it were a little MORE dark than it is.

I'm speaking in relative terms, though. I love the film just as it is. If I were writing and/or directing it myself, though, I think I would take a different approach.

Jackie

Reaction score
They are perfect just the way they are! Not everyone likes them, but it doesn't matter, they still survived and enough people love them!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it really is a shame about Labyrinth. There are so many fantastic parts in it. It gets a C+ in my book (no flames). That's from a basic film perspective. Dark Crystal gets a definite A from me though. One of the most imaginative films ever and one of my all time faves!

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

I always think that the part where Sarah jumps off of the Stairs to get Toby in the end of Labyrinth is going to start getting long and boring, But then i carry on watching and realise it doesnt.

I love this movie with all my heart, I get sad, happy, mad and glad watching it everytime!

I dont watch The Dark Crystal as much, But when i do watch it i love it !

I have watched Labyrinth three times in the last few days, And Inside The Labyrinth (The Making).

And now i am going to watch The Dark Crystal and The world of The Dark Crystal too !

One thing about the movies i love is that i know they were made in England, it kinda makes me love them even more !

See ya

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
I hafta say that I like The Dark Crystal a little bit more than Labyrinth. I love Kira. She is such a great "Human Puppet".

Sir Didymus