Wisdom Teeth

jediX

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm getting my wisdom teeth (all of them) out this Wednesday, the third. Does anybody have any advice for an easier, speedier recovery? :confused:

Beebers

Reaction score
I had all of mine out at once under general anesthesia in 1976.

A fine job was done but I looked and felt as if I'd gone ten rounds with Ali, me being on the losing end, for a week or better.

Don't expect to feel wonderful for awhile afterward. Think about the types of prescription pain meds you do best with and then request one of those for use at home afterward. Codeine or Tylenol-with-codeine are the best for this. Also Vicodin, which they may or may not prescribe for you because it's so addictive. People sometimes don't realize that they can request a particular prescription. Do this.

Unless things have changed since '76, you'll be given instructions for post-surgery-maintenance, mostly swishing peroxide around several times a day. Follow any instructions to the letter to prevent infection.
Before you go, make sure you have drinking straws, your favorite drinks and soups, and some ice cream in the house. Pudding, custards, jello, if you like those, you get the idea. Easy-to-eat is the key the first few days and for some, several days. Milk shakes are excellent.

It's worth the grief because you'll never have to worry about those teeth again.
Good luck with it, you'll do fine. :sympathy: :sympathy: :sympathy:

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
jediX said:
Hey all, I'm getting my wisdom teeth (all of them) out this Wednesday, the third. Does anybody have any advice for an easier, speedier recovery? :confused:
I had mine out a few years ago- the best thing I did was to buy a few packages of frozen peas before I had my wisdom teeth taken out. The frozen pea packages work way better than an ice pack because you can kinda mold the package around your face. It really cut down on the swelling for me, and my bruises went away pretty quickly. But don't worry- the anticipation is way worse than the actual procedure! :big_grin:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I'd like to offer advice, but I don't have any wisdom teeth....I'm just a freak

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
I don't have any wisdom teeth either! OMG! We're like... TEETH SISTERS! XP (I feel so close to you right now! LOL!)

But hey... maybe that means we don't have any wisdom! :confused:

Anyway, my friend just had her wisdom teeth removed, and she said it was a very pleasant experience... because she was really hopped up on pain killers. XD But don't worry! You'll be juuuuuuuust fine! ^_^

^_^ Debo

jediX

Reaction score
Watching Muppets while on pain killers is going to be quite the experience :wink:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
jediX said:
Watching Muppets while on pain killers is going to be quite the experience :wink:
It makes Kermit's Swamp Years Oscar worthy.

This is a fairly easy operation. Now they normally zap the teeth out of a baby's head with a laser before they have the chance to develop. The recovery isn't normally too bad, you feel very happy when you come out of the surgery. hehe! You cheecks and lips will be twice the size they are now for a little while. I lived off mashed potatoes and ginger ale when I had my wisdom teeth pulled.

I hope everything goes well, buddy-boy!

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Super Scooter said:
It makes Kermit's Swamp Years Oscar worthy.
ROFLMAO! That's the funniest thing I've heard today (but surprisingly, I liked KSY!).

... what? Oh, sorry! Continue, just ignore meeeee!

^_^ Debo

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I only have one wisdom tooth, and it's way out of the way so I don't think the dentist is going to remove it. He always says it's not worth doing anything about. Fine with me!
Erin

tiggie0686

Reaction score
No, but let me know how it goes cause I'm getting mine out over the summer. Hmm...make sure you have a lot of mushy food around so that you can eat. Oh, and this is really random, but try not to have anything on your mind when they put you to sleep, or else when you wake up you'll possibly be a raving lunatic like my sister, who's first words were, "Mom, did you bring a camera!?" when she woke up. Other than that...uhh...take lots of Vicadin. I don't know. Haha. Oh, and if you have obnoxious little siblings (such as myself, in my sister's case), don't let them near you immediately afterwards. I couldn't stop laughing for about an hour.