Wish me luck...

Crazy31088

Reaction score
Back in 1995-1997, I started watching SS again for the first time. Being an 8 or 9 year old who was completely oblivious to the world, I wasn't particularly ashamed of it, though I did get made fun of for it since I didn't hide it.

Anyway, back in those days, I really didn't like the idea of copying tapes (I was afraid of quality loss), and I really wanted an off-the-air tape of the "Put Down the Duckie" sketch. So, I taped the show when it was on TV about every morning for more than a year, on whatever tapes I could find-I didn't care what I taped over at the time, I really wanted that sketch. It finally came on some time in 1997, and I stopped taping it every day (though I continued to watch it).

Seven years later, I still have random episodes of SS all over the place on random tapes, many of them partly taped over. Recently, when this board began jogging my memories about the show again, I got frustrated when I had no idea where any specific episodes were. So, I came up with an idea-to dub all of what I have left from these daily tapings, in order, onto several, more neatly organized tapes in BIII (Betamax language-the equivalent of "SLP" or "EP" on a VHS machine)....after going through each and every one of those original tapes to see what I have, figure out when they aired, and catalogued them with post-it notes. This is going to be some task, I just thought I should bring it up, and again, wish me luck!

prickle747

Reaction score
Yes,good luck and please post what you have,when your done.
Making a list,even a simple .txt list then save on a floppy is a good idea :smile:

Dantecat

Reaction score
Do you know what Muppet Clips are on there tht you have?

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I was planning on clearly labeling the new tapes, once they're dubbed, so I'll be able to find them easily again. But I don't think that they'd be worth much in trade (the two that I remembered that may be worth something from this collection, where an art collector wants to buy B. Birds sketch of Mr. Hooper, and the full, TV version of the episode that later became the "Slimey's World Games" home video, are on my trading page). This was back in the day when I taped things just for myself, and not so they would look good on a trading page :smile:, so many of them are "edited" by me...since I was looking for Put Down the Duckie, and since I was taping almost every day, and wanted to save as many of them as I could, I cut out most of the non-muppet skits when I taped many of them. Also, as I said in my previous post, others are at least partially taped over. Plus, I didn't think very many people were interested in this era of the series.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
Whew, I know it has been ages since I've been able to comment further on this subject, but I've been quite busy! In whatever spare time I had from February to about September of this year, I looked through every one of my tapes to see which ones had episodes on them, arranged them by approximate airdate, and just in the last month have I gotten around to compiling them! I've still got three more stacks of tapes to dub, and I've finished two of the dubbed tapes, and am about halfway done with the third, and since the speeds vary, it's tough to say how much it all adds up to....my guess is somewhere in the vicinity of 10 hours, so far. I think I have about another 10 to go, but since I have the last 10 more easily cataloged and organized, it shouldn't be as much of a task as the first. When I finish all of them, I will indeed post a list of everything on them (not every skit, just every plot, it would take me WAY too long to do that), but I again warn you, most of them are missing at least *part* of the episode, but they are still quite a trip down memory lane, for me, at least, because this was the prime era in which I watched the show.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Crazy31088. You mentioned that you have the complete airing of the episode centered around the Worm Olympics? If so, was wondering if you could help me out with something regarding that episode.
If you could, please provide the names and descripts of the worms who competed at the Worm Olympics, along with their grouch owners/trainers.
Hope to hear from you soon, and have a good night.

Crazy31088

Reaction score
I'd be glad to let you know, when I get to that episode (which shouldn't be too long), I will make sure to take note of them and tell you!

Crazy31088

Reaction score
Whew, it's been a long time! I've finished this little project, and here is the list of shows I found on my old tapes. The ones that I don't know the numbers for are simply placed in the list randomly. Remember, most of them are incomplete because I was taping over shows every day, and on top of that for a while I was "editing" them to cut out non-muppet segments. Here goes:

-#3439-Grand High Triangle Lover tells his story (half episode) (1996) (PBS)
-#34??-Kingston Livingston III talks about individualism (half episode) (1996) (PBS)
-#3484-Big Bird mistakenly takes the Fairy Godmother’s wand (fragmented episode, poor quality) (1996) (PBS)
-#3519-Oscar and Grungetta on “Sally Messy Yuckael” (half episode, some glitches) (1996) (PBS)
-#3547-Bob learns to dance (fragmented episode, poor quality) (1996) (PBS)
-#3598-Big Bird earns a dollar from Mr. Hanford (1997) (PBS)
-#3???-Zoe and Elmo play a “no talking” game” (1997) (2nd half) (PBS)
-#3600-Worm summer games (1997) (PBS)
-#3603-Letter “Z” wants to quit the alphabet (1997) (PBS)
-#3608-Furry Arms tango (half episode) (1997) (PBS)
-#3609-Oscar and Grungetta want to get married (only first 15-20 minutes) (1997) (PBS)
-#3611-Leo Birdelli wants to buy Mr. Hooper’s picture (has a gap toward the end) (1997) (PBS)
-#3613-Natasha goes to the library (only first 15-20 minutes) (1997) (PBS)
-#3633-A king and a pig write a story with the help of Oscar (missing beginning) (1997) (PBS)
-#3637-Stinky and Rosita (missing some scenes) (1997) (PBS)
-#3639-Maria plays with Natasha (1997) (PBS)
-#3640-Slimey’s sister is born (1997) (PBS)
-#36??-Snuffy plays at Miles’s house (partial episode) (1997) (PBS)
-#36??-Slimey’s sister starts daycare (has a few gaps) (1997) (PBS)
-#36??-Telly’s letter (missing beginning) (1997) (PBS)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Congrats in finishing this... Maybe you should submit those to SesameStreetGuy's episode listings thread.