Wives Do More Housework, Husbands Do Less after Marriage

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Uh-ooh... Um guys, I think our cover is blown on this, heh!:wink:
http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Wives_Do_More_Housework_Husbands_Do_Less_after_Marriage_16024.html

By Alice Turner
21:06, April 6th 2008

A new study has found that on average, after marriage the wife dedicates seven hours per week more to housework, while husbands do on average one hour less of housework.

"It's a well-known pattern. There's still a significant reallocation of labor that occurs at marriage -- men tend to work more outside the home, while women take on more of the household labor," said in a statement Frank Stafford, of the Institute for Social Research (ISR), who directed the study. "And the situation gets worse for women when they have children," he added in the statement.

I can hardly see the situation "worse" for women. It's quite clear that men and women have different preferences and men tend to work more outside the home while women have a tendency of doing more housework. This is hardly a matter of culture but rather a psychological difference which goes far back to the beginnings of mankind and will not go away anytime soon. Also, the study found that both genders did more around the house after exchanging vows.

It was quite interesting to find out that while married men worked more inside their home, by an average of one hour, before they got married, unmarried women worked less than any other category of women. Married women with at least three children do around 28 hours a week, nearly threefold compared with their husbands' 10 hours.

The study, which was federally-funded, is based on time-diaries and questionnaires from a nationally representative sample of men and women over a 10-year period between 1996 and 2005.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I never identify with these kind of studies because it wasn't how I was raised or how I am as a person, lol.

Skye

Reaction score
This study is interesting. But I do think it very much depends on the people and the relationship. Each marriage is always different. I think it can still be the mindset for some that it's "traditional" or "normal" in society for women to do a bit more housework, but of course, what's normal is always different for different people. And hey... normal has always been an alien word to me! :wink: :big_grin:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's quite clear that men and women have different preferences and men tend to work more outside the home while women have a tendency of doing more housework.This is hardly a matter of culture but rather a psychological difference which goes far back to the beginnings of mankind and will not go away anytime soon.
That I completely disagree with and find offensive. Has this person never heard of the glass ceiling in the workplace? There is nothing wrong with women staying home, but the idea that all women "choose" it because of their biological make up is insane.

Culture plays a huge part in it. I think almost everything we do is a mixture of both "nature and nurture." And just because things are done one way in one culture doesn't mean the rest of the world is like that.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Hey, I'm a housework machine!

I dust, vaccuum, clean the cat box, do the laundry, yardwork, etc.:smile: :wink:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
Tag Team

I also believe it depends on the people in a marriage and the situation. My wife is disabled, so I do my share of the housework on top of working 2 jobs. I've always felt that any relationship is a team effort anyway. It's like a Tag Team in wrestling, one guy can't hold 2 belts...he needs a partner!