1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Wocka-Wocka... He's at it again!

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Was Once Ernie, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. Was Once Ernie New Member

2. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Huh... I don't really support these replica puppets... but from the side that looks great, yet at the front... *shudder* Kinda looks like a teen version of the Foz.
  3. Was Once Ernie New Member

Just to be clear, I don't support them, either... I'm just reporting.

:p
  4. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Hehe, I know, I know, just thought I'd clarify as well.
  5. muppetperson Well-Known Member

6. spcglider Member

Folks,

If you feel strongly about this, as I do, I suggest that you report it. Ebay really doesn't do much other than suspend the account, which this person immediately re-instates under a different name.

But you can easily contact Sesame Workshop, The Jim Henson Company, Master Replicas (current license holder) and The Disney Company through their websites. In the case of Disney, you can simply write to tips@disneyantipiracy.com and tell them about it. If they choose to deliver a Cease and Desist order, it's up to them.

Until then, we're certain to keep seeing these unlicensed replicas.

-Gordon
  7. How many times have you reported this guy to eBay?
    I would humbly suggest that we let the "the guy in the $75 necktie" (i.e. Disney and eBay) handle this matter how they see fit.
  8. spcglider Member

Kevin,

I'm not quite sure what you mean since that is not the meaning of my quote , but I can tell you that neither Disney nor eBay have the powers of omniscience. The good will of those who respect intellectual property rights is needed more often than one would expect.

For the truly curious, I've reported him to Disney's anti-piracy group, the Jim Henson Company and Sesame Workshop. I have also reported him to eBay several times. I can assure you... I found it to be no trouble at all. But I can also say that I am not the only one to do so.

And to reiterate: I have nothing against this person as an artist. Their work is exceptional and impressive. Many times over I have urged them in public and private to move away from infringing on the IP rights of others and continue creating original works. Both for the good of the individual and for the good of this forum. Since the activities continue, it is obvious that this person has concern neither for themselves nor for this community beyond making money producing unlicensed replicas.

And to further enlighten, I've ceased reporting him to eBay. Not only is the practice futile (they haven't banned him, just suspended accounts which are immediately re-established under new seller id's), it is counter-productive to seeing the practice ended. Simply, if he's on eBay, he is easily found. And should Disney or any of the others decide to take action, his own listings condemn him.

So, thanks for the concern. Things are just fine.

-Gordon
  9. Telly Active Member

Maybe Master Replicas should take his selling replicas as a hint and do something more with their talents...like creating more Muppet merchandise? Maybe MR should work on smaller projects or more simple character replicas that they can handle?

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE my Kermit I got from MR and I'm looking forward to Gonzo and I'm thinking of getting Animal. Maybe they should do something like give us updates? I'm just saying that if he can whip out his puppets left and right...what's taking the "official" guys LONGER? I know they want to produce top quality products, but could Gonzo's nose be causing THIS many problems?
  10. Teenager's Member

Well...I don't think this is the thread to compare Master Replicas.

Number one if you look on the listings it says "please allow a few weeks because these are built to order" So even if you buy one the guy still has to start building and you have to wait. Its not like he has an assembly line. He makes one & takes pics of it.

Number 2, his replicas are not dead on and if you're talking about the gonzo, it only sort of looks like gonzo where as MR Definetly looks like gonzo.

All in all his are rip offs and MR is top quality and it takes time when you care about the product, and MR certainly does.
  11. Bear Man Member

Anyone save the pictures from this? Just curious to see what it looked like and the auction has now been removed.
  12. muppetperson Well-Known Member

13. Bear Man Member

Thanks muppetperson.

Ummm, well the facial features (eyebrows, eyes, nose, mouth and their relation to each other) look great, and the fur looks about right...but that head shape is way off.

Actually the head looks a bit like it's been Photoshopped - or is that just me?
  14. Teenager's Member

Yea.....it does....the fur changes color around the eyes and its kind of fuzzy around some bits. Also that banana looks kinda funny...
  15. CoOKiE Member

To be honest. I grew up not being the little rat all the other kids were... so to me i see this as 1st grade. "lets all report him"... why don't we all call him poopy head too?

I'm not angry, but like stated... why don't we all let those who wear "the $75 necktie" worry about this stuff?
  16. bezalel New Member

Yeah, it looks to me that the banana has been Photoshopped, and it appears that the eyes and nose (and maybe the brows) were Photoshopped in as well. They look like they came from a picture of an authentic Fozzie. The "Drop Shadow" effect around the nose is a give away and the discoloration and blurring/blending of the fur seems to circle the eyes and nose.
  17. SurfPark New Member

I wonder if this person actually makes the puppets. There is more photo alteration than craft in this. How can you sell a finished puppet without real eyes? I suspect he wasn't attempt to violate copyright, but rather pull an ebay scam.
  18. Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i was wonder anyone who has seen his auctions in the past..i love his work but am agaisnt it....to you notice after he re posts the replicas his prices sky rocket
  19. spcglider Member

Quite frankly, anyone who has taken the time to report this person's infractions is not to be made a villain here. And I will take personally any attempt to do so.

I endeavor to respect the rule of law. Even when my personal feelings are to the contrary.

You can call it being a rat, but I'd rather be a rat who did the right thing than a rat who conciously avoided the duty of our social contract.

-Gordon
  20. Jinx Member

Well said, Gordon!

It calls into question the very foundation of integrity. The mentality that says "it's only wrong if you get caught" is deplorable.

I suppose if I saw someone beating up a little old lady and stealing her purse that I would be under no obligation to report that either...

The difference that CoOKiE doesn't seem to understand is that the "little rat" is someone who is looking to squeal solely for the purpose of calling attention to himself, not because he cares for the person being wronged. But when the intention is there to protect the innocent, I say "squeal away".

Like it or not, we are our brothers' keepers. Remember, just as you only have to kill one person to become a murderer, you only have to steal one thing to become a thief.

-Frank
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.