You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

charlietheowl

Reaction score
That's the problem right there. Education needs context. How come everything but school taught me that math was important in everyday career fields? The educational system turns things into mindless busy work that bores and annoys students into hating doing any work. And yes, it prepared them for a lifetime of mediocrity in the field of the business world of punch clock drudgery because it's either that or homelessness. But it doesn't get them invigorated.

It's like... we have a certain group of people that were failed an education (or just didn't care or bothered to do the work) in history, and without context or depth. People with an F in third grade American history that base their own beliefs system on shallow points without any perspective. And we get "The Boston Tea party was because Taxes" instead of a more in-depth reason we didn't want to be a colony anymore.

Most of the stuff we learn in school actually is important, it's just taught idiotically. In History, memorizing dates is more important than getting context. In Math it's more about doing number stuff than how it applies. And in reading, it's more important to remember inane details that may be symbolic of nothing than getting the big picture.
I wonder if part of this has to do with the standardized test system and teachers feeling pressure to teach things that are going to show up on those tests, rather than step outside the boundaries a bit. Teachers might not get taught themselves how to put things into context. It's an incredibly complex issue and I can't imagine how long it will take to sort out.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So in the I Love Lucy episode "Job Switching", the husbands start doing housework while the wives go out to get jobs. So in doing this, do Ricky and Fred still have their jobs?

After all, Rickey ran a nightclub (and did he have his own television show?), was he going to give up running the place during the time that the husbands and wives switched roles?

And Fred is the landlord of the building. Did Fred have any other jobs besides that (well, I've read that Fred and Ethel were former vaudeville performers, I actually don't remember that being mentioned anywhere on the show)? With Lucy and Ethel working in the chocolate factory, I wonder if Fred would have been able to keep up with landlord duties, or if there were a lot of duties for him as the landlord.

I can't remember if the switching was done as a bet or not. If it was a bet, would Lucy and Ethel have continued their work at the chocolate factory if they had ended up being capable of the hard work?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
After all, Rickey ran a nightclub (and did he have his own television show?)
No, he made a number of guest appearances on local shows, and even shot his own pilot, but I don't recall him ever having his own show.
And Fred is the landlord of the building. Did Fred have any other jobs besides that
Not that I recall, and in fact, he and Ethel both owned the building and both were landlords, but I supposed Fred handled the majority of the finances and transactions himself.
I can't remember if the switching was done as a bet or not.
Yes, it was.
If it was a bet, would Lucy and Ethel have continued their work at the chocolate factory if they had ended up being capable of the hard work?
Had the show been set a decade or two later, when feminism was becoming more of a relevant social issue in America, maybe.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, is Kevin Hart going through a serious ego trip or what? I mean he hasn't even been mainstream too many years, and already he's like the black NPH or Steve Carell - he's in practically every single new movie, not to mention he's already got a vanity movie coming out, which seems about as premature as Justin Bieber's autobiopic.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So in the Family Guy episode "Herpe the Love Sore", Brian tells Stewie that herpes will really only burn up during moments of intense stress. So having herpes isn't intensely stressful enough to burn up all the time?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever notice that women named Rach(a)el seem to almost always automatically be extremely, extremely attractive? I have to wonder if that has something to do with how in Genesis, the shepherdess Rachel was extremely beautiful and the favored wife of Jacob? Like one of those things like how men have one less rib than women since Eve was made from one of Adam's ribs.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Adam's Ribs! 8) Twenty pounds of ribs, and a pint of sauce.
Don't forget the cole slaw.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever notice that a number of current pop songs do this thing where towards the end of the song, the refrain or background vocals will suddenly be muffled, then will slowly clear back up?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever notice that when you have two options for a product, they're traditionally color-coded by two colors: red and blue. Take playing cards for instance, what two colors do they usually come in? Red and blue. When Dorito's only came in two flavors - nacho and ranch - what color bags did the two flavors come in? Red and blue. When the first Pokemon Gameboy game was released, it came in two versions, and what were those two versions? Red and blue. How did these two colors come to be the common choice among products and items that came in twos?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
technically speaking the first two pokemon games were red and green, but it was changed to blue for international releases. Actually the original pokemon red and green games had different sprites too.

But i digress. When you have team based video games its always the red and blue team and idk why that is either.

I guess because they are two basic colors that contrast each other?