You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's something I don't understand. How come there's so much hate for Wacky World of Tex Avery for being an in name only grave robber, yet you never hear anything negative about The Kwicky Koala Show that he supposedly created just before he died? Sure, WWoTA isn't a great series by any means, but it does manage to have some pretty funny episodes and concepts. I tried watching Kwicky Koala on a couple occasions (one on the best of the 80's Warner Bros Saturday morning compilation... which I only bought for Ed Grimley... and it was 5 bucks as Five Below), and it was all generic, Flanderized, soft paw versions of actual gags from his great MGM cartoons. It wasn't really bad, but I found it a big disappointment. Some of it was actually almost pretty good. Just the series that everyone hates for stealing the guy's name is actually much better and much much funnier.

Besides... Super Pooch was actually pretty good as Earthworm Jim cartoon knockoffy as it was.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have a few "what's the deal with...?" questions regarding a few shows/episodes.

First, what's the deal with Tommy Chong's stint as one of the main regulars on That '70s Show?
  • He was first in the opening credits in season four, after being a frequent guest in seasons 2 and 3. But in season four, when he was in the opening, it seems he appeared considerably less than in season three, where it seems like he was in nearly every episode (at least around the later half of the season).
  • And he didn't appear in the first few episodes of that season. I don't remember off-hand how many episodes it was before he appeared that season, but if an actor is appearing in the opening I expect 'em to appear in every episode that season (and I am aware of other examples where an actor is in the opening but is absent as often as they appear).
  • And after he was gone during the fifth season they waited until halfway through that season to bring up the fact that he'd been gone and have an explanation for his absence. It would have made more sense if it was earlier in the season.

And what's the deal with the Beetlejuice episode "Skeletons in the Closet"?
  • Whenever somebody in the Neitherworld tells a lie, they get a skeleton in their closet. Beetlejuice told so many lies that his closet busted open and the skeletons all told on him for his lies. But then a skeleton comes out of his closet to tell Lydia's parents that she lied earlier. I know she's not from the Neitherworld, but that's not her closet (yeah, skeletons don't really grow in closets when you tell lies). She shouldn't have grown a skeleton in Beetlejuice's closet. Unless real-world lies cause skeletons to grow in the closets of Neitherworld residents.
  • At the end they figure out that telling the truth is the only way to stop the skeletons, and Beetlejuice has trouble coming up with a truth to tell. But earlier he told Lydia about the concept of skeletons in the closet... Wasn't that a truth? They should have disappeared when he told her what was going on?
  • When the skeletons tell Jacques that Beetlejuice actually likes him despite the fact that he acts like he doesn't, Jacques acts really happy to know this. But earlier in the episode he sorta gives the impression that he just tolerates Beetlejuice, without a desire to be liked by him.

Also, at the end of Home Alone, when Harry threatens to bite off each of Kevin's fingers one at a time, Old Man Marley comes in, and the first one he knows out is Marv. Shouldn't he have knocked out Harry first, since he was about to bite Kevin's fingers? That would have given him more time to do so.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't know how the years line up to the seasons of the show, but Tommy Chong was in prison for about a year around 2003-2004, so that would have explained one absence.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know how the years line up to the seasons of the show, but Tommy Chong was in prison for about a year around 2003-2004, so that would have explained one absence.
Yeah I first heard about him being arrested for drug use after he had been off the show for awhile. I wasn't really asking about the deal regarding his absence, just the fact that they waited so long to do an episode about it.

Vincent L

Reaction score
Why does companies star celebrities in ads? Does that even work?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Have we come to a point where people are of such small and limited interest, that all of the sudden, ANYTHING they see that was made before the 2010s is, "Where ADVENTURE TIME came from"? I mean, seriously, apparently any two animated characters that get themselves catapulted into any random situation are "The Inspiration for ADVENTURE TIME".

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I hate Adventure Time. And Regular Show for that matter. AT is too weird for me and I don't like the stoner vibe from RS

But seriously? Are we talking people who grew up in the 2000s or what?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
What's the deal with works of fiction where a single parent is to marry somebody who intends on sending the kid or kids to boarding school as soon as they are married? In most cases (that I know of) the parent is unaware of his/her fiance's intentions, but would the parent really allow their new spouse to send their child to boarding school?