You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
As I've said before, if there is one animated character who I would believe is Ambiguously Gay, it's Zazu from THE LION KING... as a kid, I honestly was not sure whether he was supposed to be male or female: I know Zazu's male, but he seemed to act and sound more feminine as I remember, which is why I wasn't so sure about him.

*Shrug*

Feminine male does not equal gay, necessarily. This is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about (regarding my last post on this, I'm not even sure why people think Wiggins, Gov. Ratcliffe's sycophant in Pocahontas, was gay. He was effeminate, but I always just thought he was a typical suck-up employee).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Feminine male does not equal gay, necessarily. This is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about (regarding my last post on this, I'm not even sure why people think Wiggins, Gov. Ratcliffe's sycophant in Pocahontas, was gay. He was effeminate, but I always just thought he was a typical suck-up employee).
I totally get that people want to see more LGBTQ characters on TV and I'm in full support of that. But yeah I'm not sure constantly falling back on stereotypes is going to progress things.

I'm reminded of a discussion I read once on a message board for writers. Everyone agreed that if you have a gay character, they need to be well rounded. Their orientation can't be their only character trait. Someone said that was a mistake Glee made. I don't know, I only watched the show a couple times, can anyone confirm?

You know this is a weird example but a show that does this pretty well is Archer. Ray is openly gay but not every storyline he has is about his orientation. He's just a character that happens to be gay.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I totally get that people want to see more LGBTQ characters on TV and I'm in full support of that. But yeah I'm not sure constantly falling back on stereotypes is going to progress things.
I really hate how Happy Endings never got the audience it deserved. If nothing else for having one of the least stereotypical gay character I've ever seen. Someone who's so beyond the stereotype, he's the stereotype of a straight single guy. Perfect subversion.

Effeminacy is also the stereotype of British upper class types (versus the constantly drunk, speak slurred Cockney Brit stereotype), and those things cross too often. Zazu is more of the anal retentive Bureaucratic type, if anything. Can't remember the character on Pocahontas, though... But ever notice how flamingly effeminate they make the villains of Disney movies. They give them more eye makeup than Johnny Depp in the Pirate movies.

Though... you could... you just may be able to say something's up with Jafar. He may have zapped Jasmine in even more scanty clothes, but he doesn't seem to enjoy her much, except for stroking his ego.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've noticed that problem all over TVTropes. Posters that don't know the difference between getting crap past the radar and looking for crap in a crapless place.
One thing that gets me is on RANGO's page, it says that Rattlesnake Jake's actions against Beans is, "Decidedly rape". Why did they decide that he raped her? Yeah, he constricted her (and Priscilla), and licked her face, which is, indeed, unwanted physical contact (which itself can be molestation), but do people even understand the difference between molestation and rape? The idea of Jake raping Beans is squickening enough, but even if he did... I can't imagine (nor do I really want to) how he would make sure that shooter of his doesn't actually go off inside her.

And again, someone who edited OLIVER & COMPANY seem to think that Sykes, at one point, implies that he would, "Make money off of Jenny" if her parents didn't meet his ransom, when he never even remotely said anything along those lines (in fact, someone recently pointed this out).

Drtooth

Reaction score
One thing that gets me is on RANGO's page, it says that Rattlesnake Jake's actions against Beans is, "Decidedly rape". Why did they decide that he raped her? Yeah, he constricted her (and Priscilla), and licked her face, which is, indeed, unwanted physical contact (which itself can be molestation), but do people even understand the difference between molestation and rape? The idea of Jake raping Beans is squickening enough, but even if he did... I can't imagine (nor do I really want to) how he would make sure that shooter of his doesn't actually go off inside her.
I like how they tend to think the M&M's commercial with the nasty new Brown M&M tricks the Red one into going home with a voracious chocolate eater as rape as well. How so? Red was willing to go, so technically it can't be rape (which is forced and unwanted). It's a dark example of self preservation, something more akin to...uh... anyone ever see the early MadTV skit about the California Raisins? If not, almost what Seymour did in Little Shop of Horrors to get rid of his enemies. Maybe Sweent Todd-ish, but definitely not rape.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
how about the boy on the proud familly that wore head bands and cut off sweat shirts ? and his dad shakes his head in shame when really the boy is not gay but just like to dance this is fall back to acceptance of the same sex orgin

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, you know what I don't get?

How come so many commercials lately have a soundtrack of some pixie voiced waif of a woman going repeatedly singing "oh oh oh OH?" It's becoming oh oh oh obnoxious.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
how come the light skinned african american women you see on tv are seen as classy and well manned and dark skinned african american women you see on tv are seen as un classy loud and have no manners ? and how come in some eddie murphy movies the dark skinned african american woman is the evil one where the light skinned african woman is the good one ?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Actually, you know what I don't get?

How come so many commercials lately have a soundtrack of some pixie voiced waif of a woman going repeatedly singing "oh oh oh OH?" It's becoming oh oh oh obnoxious.
YES. I always see some yogurt commercial (Yoplait? Dannon?) with that annoying tag, seems like whatever channel I watch it's on there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed it seems like if there's two letters in the English alphabet that are easily to mix up, phonetically, it's 'B' and 'V'? Both Ed and I have had experiences with this, such as until it was spelled out for him, he thought Abelardo's name was Avelardo; similarly, I remember thinking Valerie Bertinelli's last name was Vertinelli, until I actually saw her name on the screen for the first time. It's interesting too, because you'd think with two different sounds ("Buh" and "Vuh") that they wouldn't be so hard to mix up, and they're really not alone, but you put them in words or names, and I guess the way people say them, it's easier to get them mixed up.