1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your BIGGEST Mistake in Building Puppets

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by D'Snowth, Dec 13, 2004.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Let's face it, someone is bound to make a mistake while building puppets, but some mistakes are just too big to handle. I don't know about you guys, but here are some of my biggest mistakes.

* Attaching the foam head to the foam body. (talk about your stiff necks.)
    * Using cardboard for the mouth plates (they're starting wear out already.)
  2. Uncle deadly

Uncle deadly New Member

well im not smart enough to make puppets!
  3. ScrapsFlippy

ScrapsFlippy Member

How about:

- finishing up a head and then trying to put in an eye mech
    - putting on a neck that was only slightly shorter than the torso
    - dabbing at hot glue with your bare fingers. Ouch!

And my favorite, because I'm gonig through this right now:

- forgetting to create a pattern so that you can duplicate the puppet without having to rip out all the seams

-- Scraps
  4. robinthecrow

robinthecrow New Member

Ooooh mistakes! I make enough of those so here goes:

> Hot glueing fur to a head rather than sewing and covering. Its starting to come off now! :-(

> Again, covering hand in hot glue!!!

> Rushing puppet building (curse these deadlines!) rather than taking my time!

> Putting dye and antron fleece in a wash machine!!! IT JUST DOESN'T WORK!

> Cutting fur with scissors then realising you've cut the fur and its gone every where. And then suck breathing it in and out the next two weeks!

David.
  5. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

My biggest mistake was chatting with someone in a workshop while waiting for some hot glue (the industrial stuff, not the low-temp) to set and thoughtlessly putting my hand on the workbench without looking...right in to the middle of the hot glue.

That was a second degree burn (you could smell some of the skin burn). I'm amazed I don't have a scar from it.
  6. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

oh where to begin...
    -making my puppets humungus accidentally
    -using cardboard for mouths
    -making the back of the head all round and making the front flat (mistake i did when making my rabbi puppet)
    -when i put the head together and then try to glue the felt on, it always ends up looking like crap. it looks better when i put the felt on the foam and then cut it and glue it into a head.
  7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Same here HA HA!
    I did that, and I'm doing fine.
  8. OK, fortunately I'm a bit more careful making puppets these days. Most of the problems I have today are far too huge annoying wrinkles at the corners of the mouths because I couldn't figure out how wide to make the fabric mouth opening. Mistakes that haunt me include...

*using posterboard for mouth plates (3 times worse than cardboard!)

*stapling instead of sewing or even gluing

*attaching rods by poking the end out the top of the hand and smothering it with hot glue to keep it there

*putting contact cement on foam where it didn't need to go

*not paying attention to the direction of the fur weave

*sewing head directly to body without leaving space for my hand to fit through the neck

*attaching lower mouth fabric to upper head mouth plate (<2 days ago)

Those are some of the most embarassing. Great thread idea! :excited:
  9. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

A few weeks ago I was preoccupied in conversation while hot gluing the tongue on a puppet and dropped the tongue on my leg. Since my puppet tongues are basically upside down hearts, my blister is a heart.... although I wasn't feeling much love when it burned me. :cry:

Oh, and I once had a customer hounding me for their order because the project date was moved up. I was so concerned about pleasing them and in such a rush that I shipped the order of three puppets over night delivery before I realized that they hadn't paid me the balance yet. Never heard from them again. :smirk:
  10. Jivepuppet

Jivepuppet Member

Biggest mistake?

Not starting sooner!
  11. Woofus

Woofus New Member

Ok... I admit it.

I glued the nose of my 2nd puppet onto his chin. Ooooops! ;)

(Now he has a nice soul patch there!)

Woofus!
  12. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

how about using way too much hot glue on a sock puppet nose and trying to put it on with bare fingers. OUCH!

Also, I screwed up the arms on my Lizzardo puppet, but I worked around it by saying he had had a birth defect from all those pesticides (environmental message from a puppet! ouch!).

BJ
  13. ScrapsFlippy

ScrapsFlippy Member

Most recently:

I attached a thumb strap and a speedbump to the inside of a mouthplate before attaching the mouthplate. I thought I was being smart, thinking ahead like this.

Then I attached the mouthplate upside down, so now I have a thumbstrap on top and a speedbump on bottom!

(if you understood what you just read, and laughed at it, congratulations. You're as big a puppet nerd as I am.)

- Scraps "really, seriously, I'm not as dorky as I sound" Flippy
  14. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

Yay! I'm a puppet Nerd! I'm a puppet Nerd! *jumping up and down*

:zany:
  15. muppetmayhem

muppetmayhem Member

At least you guys are smart enough to make puppets. I can't even tie my shoes for crying out loud!~!
  16. ScrapsFlippy

ScrapsFlippy Member

Smart?

I don't know. Here's another mistake:

Sewing fabric directly to foam. Amazing how easy it is for thread to tear through foam! Amazing how I didn't see it coming!

-- Scraps.