1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your dream 2011 Muppet Promotions

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by dwmckim, Dec 12, 2010.

1. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

For me, my 2011 wishes would be Muppet Show Season 4 (obviously, now that's 12 people), uncut Muppet Family Christmas, the fast food promotions (seriously, McDonalds does a good job at advertising movies and if the Muppets are in that we'd be in for some good publicity (plus I like the Happy Meal toys that come with)), a video game would be awesome especially if it included most of the Muppets (maybe some obscures, just in the background).

I'm basically just agreeing to everyones' ideas another good one I've heard is the guest appearances one. Like maybe if most of the Muppets came on the Tonight show, they could do some classic bits or they could sing a song from the movie but also give some good humor in the interview session. Maybe one of the human stars could come with them but the Muppets by themselves are fantastic and funny. Watching Pepe's interview on YouTube makes me think of what we might see. But above all, Statler and Waldorf heckling the Muppets (+ Leno):sleep::boo:!

Other good ideas might be, like everyone says, a new virmup would be awesome and might just be some of the best promotion! Also Muppets.com is there best ally! They've got funny stuff down there and it would be a shame not to have that be included in promotion. I know I'm just repeating everyone. But these stuff, to me, I think are great ideas!:)
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

My new Dream promotion? NOT using the new logo. :D
  3. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

WHOA! I just saw the signature in minor muppetz' post! YES! That's sort of an answer right there to one of my requests (though I'd still love to see Kermit show up again on Sesame Street with The Muppet Show gang making a special appearance. I mean, the Sesame Street gang has been on The Muppet Show and some have shown up in the movies - [Big Bird in The Muppet Movie and Oscar the Grouch in The Great Muppet Caper and of course, a number of the gang at the end of The Muppet Movie and The Muppets Take Manhattan]. Why not have The Muppet Show gang take a trip to Sesame Street to visit Kermit's old friends? They did meet some of them in "A Muppet Family Christmas" and they were together in "The Muppets Celebrate 30 Years" and "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson"- but seriously- if Disney wants to market this new Muppets movie to today's kids- why not do it through a Muppets-populated show that today's kids are already watching? A Sesame Street appearance just seems to be a natural to me- and plus, you would definitely get the hardcore Muppets fans stoked for such a happening!
    But yeah- anyway, I just saw that "Silly Storytime" is getting released to DVD! Apparently, in order to release the "Rapunzel" Newsflash sketches and capitalize on the release of "Tangled". But it is SO COOL to see Kermit the Frog on there in his Sesame Street News reporter garb on the cover! With the stalk from Jack and the Beanstalk! That's awesome! And it even says on the cover that 4 classic Newsflash sketches are included! WOW- I'll definitely be picking this one up.:)
  4. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

We don't know which Newsflash segments will be included. It's known what street stories will be included (one of which involves Zoe as Rupunzel), and the "Musical Fairy Tales" segment with Little Red Riding Hood. I guess the four Newsflash segments COULD be segments based around the fairy tales represented in the main program (and I guess I could live with 1 or 2 out of 4 previously-released-on-DVD Newsflash segments). But I feel it'd be better if it had Newsflash segments on other stories (though considering the cover has reporter Kermit climbing a beanstalk, I will be surprised if it doesn't have the "Jack and the Beanstalk" segmnet).

I've been desiring a collection of Kermit SST inserts on DVD for a long time (The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street is good but I'd like a bigger collection... and besides that's only on VHS). I think I mentioned this in the "Warner Home Video gets SST lisence" thread but after seeing the cover I got the idea that it would be ideal to release such a set when the new movie comes out, sort of Sesame Workshop's way of promoting The Muppets new movie.

Then again, with the exception of The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland Sing-and-Play Sesame Workshop doesn't seem to release DVDs that tie in with big movie releases. Otherwise I think we'd have gotten a Count spotlight DVD to tie in with one of the Twilight movies, or DVD releases of the Miami Mice segments to tie in with the release of the Miami Vice movie a few years back. But I wonder if I should be surprised if all the newsflash segments will invovle fairy tales that recently got big movie adaptations released (Rupunzel, Alice in Wonderland, segments with "The Frog Prince"-style twist endings).

Back to our regularly scheduled topic...
  5. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

Kohls does this thing where they sell books and related stuffed animals for five dollars and then give the profits to charity. It'd be cool if maybe they partnered up with the muppets and sold like a Kermit, Piggy and Fozzie plush and pulled together a few picture books to go with them.
  6. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh totally. I actually even mentioned this a few pages back. I believe they even had Toy Story 3 this year. It's sad, but there is not one single plush in stores, and virtually no Muppet merchandise period at stores(other than an Animal or Kermit hat or shirt at Spencers or Walmart)

Just means we'll be all the more happily surprised next year when the floodgates of Muppet stuff opens up
  7. Drtooth

Those Toy Story ones virtually flew off the shelves within a week... yet, I always see acres of obscure Dr. Seuss characters and generic looking animal plush sit on shelves. It would be great to see something like that.

They have been VERY strategic about merchandise... almost too careful for my taste. Again, I wish the Disney Store gave the Pookalooz line until after Christmas (something tells me they'd have done better during that shopping period than in the middle of Summer when no one's buying anything but school supplies), other than that, they're obviously waiting until next year, just before the movie for giving us the good stuff.
  8. minor muppetz

I just realized... A few of us have desired for Kermit to make a new Sesame Street appearance as part of the movie's promotion... But aside from the thrill of seeing Kermit return to Sesame Street in time for the movie, allowing Kermit to be on SST because of the movie might not be clear as promotion. If Kermit or other Muppets were to be on Sesame Street or any ficticious series I doubt they'd actually mention the movie. And I wouldn't expect a promo for The Muppets before and after airings of Sesame Street.

The other things mentioned would be easier to release and promote the movie, even if it's not directly related to the movie. A sticker that says "Go see The Muppets in theaters Thanksgiving 2011" could be put on the packaging of any product. A trailer for the movie will probably be included in any Muppet DVD release that comes out next year. If The Muppet Show: Season Four (or any Muppet DVD) actually comes out months earlier than the movie I wouldn't be surprised if a "sneak peek at The Muppets" feature.

Obviously the movie will be mentioned in any Muppet talk show appearance next year, and I'm sure clips will be shown in talk show appearances. If the Muppets appear at the Macy's parade they'll most likely mention it (and even if they don't appear I'm sure the Kermit float will still be present, and if that float is there they'll have to mention the movie). If there's a Muppet movie marathon on TV they'll probably show commercials for the movie (and if a marathon is hosted by Muppets they'll probably mention it).

But if any Muppets were to appear on any fictional shows, it might be hard to be a clear promotion. Especially if it's Kermit appearing on Sesame Street.
  9. Drtooth

I don't think an appearance of Kermit on SS is possible. The general consent is that Disney wants to distance their Muppet ownership as far as they can from the ones under SS's ownership... unless it comes to archival footage. They did get their arms twisted to add the poser on one DVD... but that was after an intense negotiation and probably a good dozens of "NO"-s. I'm sure that Kermit's Elmo's World appearance was also intensely negotiated, and only conceded upon due to it being the show's 40th anniversary.

It's not that I'm saying it's impossible. It could very well happen, after all... but they'd possibly need to have their arms twisted and relentlessly pursued about it and even then, have to pay guest licensing money.

And unfortunately due to the climate of the show and their inability to use older footage, a series of older Kermit skits isn't really a major possibility either.
  10. minor muppetz

Really? All the last seaosn episodes didn't have any non-Henson/non-public domain footage? I thought Muppet Babies: The Next Generation (which had footage from the STar Wars movies) was from the last season.

I wonder if the Muppets could hold an audience for a weekly half-hour sitcom. One where they don't put on a show, or maybe one where they work at the Muppet Theater but it usually takes place during the weeks between shows.
  11. I haven't read this whole thread and I'm sure it's been said already, but I'd like to see Kermit on The Daily Show again talking about the movie, or maybe on the Colbert Report.
  12. Drtooth

We all seem to forget what a boon syndication was for Henson and selling the series. ABC didn't want a weekly series in the 70's, and only gave them a couple specials. I don't think TMS would have had a nice long, 5 year run if it had been on network. look what happened with Muppets Tonight.

Sigh... if only syndication had new programming besides game shows and cheap stuff like that, there could be a chance.
  13. fuzzydice82

fuzzydice82 New Member

My Dreams:

1. Restart the Palisades Toy Line - Keep the same quality (or better), hire the Palisades toy designers to help the Disney toy designers, and start with Series 10. I've heard from so many people that the only thing wrong with the Palisades Muppet toys is that they made them too good. They couldn't sustain the cost. Well, Disney already charges a premium for their name brand, so the market can bare a slightly higher cost for really good toys...and accessories...and playsets.

2. Continue the Muppet Show Comics - These are hands down some of the best comics being made right now. It had an Eisner nomination in 2010, and it lost to the last Scott Pilgrim book as 2010 was the Scott Pilgrim farewell year. I predict an Eisner for the Muppet Show Comic in 2011

3. Release all 5 seasons of The Muppet Show on Blu-Ray - People on here have mentioned season 4 and 5 on DVD, but I want them all on Blu-Ray. With the resources Disney has, a Blu-Ray transfer shouldn't be difficult, especially if this is the year of the Muppets for Disney. ALSO, acquire the rights to all the songs in the shows and give them to us as originally aired. Oh, and include as many behind the scenes interviews and footage with all the puppeteers, so that we can see the inner workings of the magic.

4. An All-Muppet Episode of 30 Rock - The internet has many comparisons of 30 Rock to The Muppet Show, and there have been 3 or so Muppet appearances on the show. NBC already did a live 30 Rock episode and they just did a claymation episode of Community, so hopefully a Muppet episode isn't too much of a long shot.

5. A Good Muppet Video Game - This has been mentioned, and described better than I could, but it is a must. Doing an MMORPG where you are a Whatnot in the Muppet world might be much, but something along the lines of Epic Mickey would work. As long as it's not too "kiddie," it could be awesome.

My Long Shot Dreams: (Though some of the above are long shots)

6. New Episodes of The Muppet Show - Okay, this is a long shot, but I can dream. The new comics have some good material to draw from for a short 6 - 11 Episode syndicated season. (Yes, I think the comic is that good.)

7. A New Muppet Show - This is different than new episodes of the old show. In this dream, Kermit has retired, Robin runs The Muppet Show, some old characters stay on-board (and make cameos), and new characters and Whatnots entertain us for a few seasons.
  14. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I think one of the grandest new ideas mentioned by a lot of people here is the idea of an "epic" Muppet video game, that could be cross platformed on the DS, Wii and 360.
  15. chrislynch

chrislynch New Member

All Ideas Are Great

I think you guys have got all great ideas !

I think the Disney Channel should play all Muppet Show shows..
    and Kermit and Piggy should do the talkshow rounds, and breakfast shows... and you're right.. details the history of the muppets with show highlights... I hope Disney does it right this time.. To be honest, I'm nervous it will be weak marketing by people who aren't really interested in the Muppets... I really hope I'm wrong.. but creating products for a new market, who doesn't know who the Muppets are will be a very hard task.
  16. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

YES! The episode where Kenneth envisions everyone around him as Muppets is my favorite! :excited:
  17. ZeppoAndFriends

ZeppoAndFriends Well-Known Member

That's the number one thing on my Muppet Releases Wish List, too (With number two being the Tales from Muppetland specials).

Although I'm aware of the tons of paperwork required, it would be nice to have it out in time for next Christmas. :)
  18. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

We all want to see this happen and i think we're closer than we've been for quite some time but the soonest this would happen would be 2012. It's pretty clear that as the movie happens, Disney is being very careful about establishing The Classic Muppets as its own brand not to be confused with the SST Muppets so i don't see a special that is all about a crossover between the two (and FR) happening during the same holiday season. VERY LIKELY CANDIDATE for '12 though.
  19. minor muppetz

Considering the recent Henson/Lionsgate releases including characters owned by Muppets Studio and Sesame Workshop being uncut (well, besides the unusual editing out of the end credits to Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting), I am fairly confident that this can be released in the near future. Hopefully Disney will do whatever it takes to clear all the required music rights.

One thing that I could see happening would be to put images of the Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock characters on the cover with a special bubble/banner/whatever reading "With special guest stars from Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock!" That would also be ironic considering that past releases of the special only included the main Muppet Show Muppets on the cover, despite all previous releases coming back when Henson still owned all those characters. If it were two years ago I wouldn't even expect them to be on the cover of such a release, but in the past two years pretty much every Henson release that includes Muppets pictures them on the covers, and all recent Sesame Street DVD releases with Kermit (excluding ABCs with Elmo and the upcoming Elmo's World: Penguins and Friends) include the frog on the cover.

But as I'm sure I've said before I'll be happy with The Muppet Show: Season Four and at least one other Muppet DVD release from Disney.
  20. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Disney released both a Tangled and a Tron Legacy collectors magazine, so its pretty safe to assume we're going to get a nice slick glossy collectors magazine for "The Muppets" this fall.

(and this will be the first new Muppet magazine in almost 22 years)