1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Favorite Background Character

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by PhsychoChimp, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Xerus

Xerus Active Member

I like that unseen guy from behind the curtain. Sometimes Kermit goes to the curtain and asks if everything's okay back there and you'll hear a guy going, "Oh, yeah yeah yeah!" I always laugh whenever I hear that line. I believe that was Frank Oz voicing that guy.
  2. Kuriboh Man

Kuriboh Man Active Member

It was...he sounded like Cookie Monster.
  3. FrogInTheGlen

FrogInTheGlen New Member

Thanks....I never knew that he had a name!
  4. Frozann

Frozann Member

Blue Frackle. Period.

Well, it's unclear about definition. I'd go with characters in crowd:
    - Afghan hound, nice design
    - Frackles. Have I mentioned Blue Frackle particularly?
    - Mildred
    - Pigs
  5. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

Afghan Hound, Beakie (not to be confused with Beaker), and Gaffer. :)
  6. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I have to say that my favorite background characters are Beauregard, Lubbock Lou and his Jug Huggers and all the animals on the show: penguins, rabbits, rats, dogs...anything along those lines.
  7. SeanC

SeanC Member

A lot of my Muppet fascination tends to swing towards background or rarely used characters. Not sure why this is - maybe said characters' lack of screentime makes their appearances all the more special. It's wonderful that such detail and care was put into even minor characters, something that displays perfectly the skill and perfection of Henson and his team.
    A few people have picked Boppity and he'd be high on my list too. A really nicely designed monster who appeared quite a lot but was mainly confined to crowd scenes or sharing the screen with other, more well known characters. I really like him, though, and would love to own a replica. People who've read my posts will also know that I'm a big fan of Fletcherbird ( lovely design and beautifully performed ), but as he was the main Muppet in at least two songs and had very prominent roles in a couple of others, I think he falls just slightly outside the definition of 'background character'. The Gawky Birds, characters I also regard as fascinating, are more in line with the definition. They never spoke but looked absolutely fantastic, particularly in the Bruce Forsyth episode. Actually, I clearly have a thing for Muppet birds as I also love the Whaddayasay Bird, plus the others that appeared in that same sketch. And then there's the duck who turned up in a few episodes too. And let's not forget the penguins. To be honest, I think pretty much every minor character had its merits, from the Javas ( quite brilliant ) to the Hugga Wugga ( hypnotically excellent ) to The Luncheon Counter Monster ( quite... hungry ).
    The main Muppet gang were all brilliant, but equal care and attention was given to the the wonderful creatures who hid in the background and fleshed out their world. That's what makes 'The Muppet Show' a genuine television classic.
  8. Frozann

Frozann Member

Oh, in fact, if there was a replica of Blue Frackle, I, despite expensive for me price, nearly impossible payment and shipping, would like to get my own. He has real clever design. Whenever you see him, you can feel something warm inside.
  9. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

Oh wow...My first ever thread on Muppet Central Forums is still around... Way back when before my hard drive died...
  10. Mary Louise

Mary Louise Active Member

I love Beauregard. He's so sweet and so simple. If someone asked me which Muppet I would like to meet, he'd win, hands down!
  11. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

My favorites have to be Droop, Boppity, Gloat, the Pink Frackle, the Green Boppity-like Frackle, the Fazoobs, J.G Frackle, Shakey Sanchez, Winny (the cafeteria bird), the Inkspots, Spotted Dick, the Vile Bunch Drummer, Blustering Bellowpane Monster, and the Purple Bug (from Mopatop's Shop).

I've been a fan of the Frackles since I first saw them. [​IMG][​IMG]
    They look so AWESOME!!!
    galagr likes this.
  12. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

Droop, Nigel the conductor, Thog, Beautiful Day Monster, Boppity, Gloat, Behemoth, Crazy Harry and most of all, LIPS!
    FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  13. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I like the Afghan Hound, Nigel the conductor, and Lips quite a bit.
  14. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

15. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Tom, Dick and Harry.
  16. snichols1973

snichols1973 Well-Known Member

In Muppets from Space, there's a nerdy character who has an egg-shaped head with curly hair on top, wears a check-patterned shirt, and you can see his eyes as he's wearing glasses (unlike Prof. Bunsen Honeydew, whose eyes seem to disappear when he takes his glasses off):D . He briefly appears near the start of the movie during the breakfast scene, and later on when Miss Piggy is giving the report: "1 a.m. The alien is still standing over there - my hair still looks great - and one can only wonder what Gonzo's feeling right now." he is seen standing near Piggy when she's reporting, and even though he doesn't have any speaking lines, he can be briefly seen before rejoining the crowd.

Does anyone know if he has a name, or if he previously appeared on Muppets Tonight?
  17. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Somewhere on this forum there's a thread where the guy who performed him during Muppets From Space posted to tell us a bit about it...now I just don't remember where that thread was, what the character's name is, or who performed him...
  18. DrDientes

DrDientes Active Member

Afghan Hound, Nigel the conductor, Barskerville, Gaffer, Annie Sue, and Miss Mousey.
  19. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

You're probably thinking of Chip, who comes from The Jim Henson Hour.

Hope this helps and welcome to MC.
  20. Scooterforever

Scooterforever Active Member

Crazy Harry. He only made a handful of appearances on the original show, but I always liked him, because he makes Animal look mild-mannered by comparison.