1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your favorite Ed Sullivan Muppet skits

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Philip Kippel, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Hello everyone. This is Philip Kippel again.

The skits that the Muppets did on "The Ed Sullivan Show" are very funny, creative, well done and fun to watch.

The Ed Sullivan Muppet skits I seem to like the most are:

-"Rock 'n' Roll Monster" (fun)
    -"I Feel Pretty" (a moralistic heartfelt story with a happy ending)
    -"A Change of Face" (the different personalities that the Colonel got with his face changes were funny)
    -"The Computer Dinner" (very funny, especially the "surprise" ending)
    -"Christmas Reindeers" (those reindeers were so funneeeeeee, loved their jokes and the song they sing at the end)
    -"Sclrap Flyapp" (fun, I like the puppets' "animated" features including the light-up eyes and smoke coming out)
    -"The Art of Visual Thinking" (creative, the animated images accompanying :) and Grump make this skit unique and imaginative)
    -"Happy Girls Meets a Monster" (enjoyable, funny and moralistic ending)
    -"Business, Business" (funny, catchy music and lyrics, the puppets' mechanical features, a routine that they should've done on "The Muppet Show" as well)
    -"The Monster Trash Can Dance" (creative, another routine that would've made for a great "Muppet Show" skit)
    -"Java"
    -"Octopus's Garden" (nice song, the octopus's jokes were funny and creative)
    -"Monster Family" (humorous and heartfelt)
    -"The Wild String Quartet" (nice music, love Mahna Mahna's jokes especially "There's too much unnecessary "violins" on TV")
    -"Music Hath Charms" (what I did see of it, nice music)

Which Ed Sullivan show Muppet skits do you like the most?

2. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

I liked
    Rock N Roll Monster
    reindeer
    monster skit (the extra)
    Octopus's Garten

3. muppet_dk

muppet_dk Active Member

The ones that I like the most are:

Rock 'n' Roll Monster
    Business, Business
    Octopus's Garden
    Monster Family
    The Wild String Quartet
    The Monster Trash Can Dance

4. jediX

jediX Active Member

Hands down, Java. Period. I've loved that sketch since I was 2.

5. bats1972

bats1972 New Member

Did anyone see the Holiday Ed Sullivan DVD? I saw it today at Suncoast for the 1st time. It comtains various Holiday clips including Muppet ones. Although I don't know what specifically is on it I was surprised to see it.

6. Astro4004

Astro4004 New Member

I love Rock n' Roll Monster, as well as Monster/ Machine. I think the latter was done more successfully on Sullivan than on TMS. :crazy:

7. BlueAM

BlueAM New Member

My fave Ed Sullivan skits are:

"Rock 'n' Roll Monster"
    "Octopus' Garden" (I like the octopus because, since he's performed by Frank, he sounds like Cookie Monster with a dash of Miss Piggy) :mad:
    "The Wild String Quartet" (the oval-shape-headed guy in that skit looks like Sully and Zelda Rose crossed together LOL!) :)
    "Inchworm" (I like it since Kermit laughs JUST like Ernie at one point)

But, most of all, I like:

"I Feel Pretty" (I like Amanda, since she's like an AM when making herself beautiful, and Conrad Love, who later became the puppet used for Guy Smiley, since he looks A LOT like Chance the Gardener in "Being There" LOL!
    :) )
    "A Change of Face" (This skit reminds me of the AMs in the premiere episode of SS, and I noticed that the Colonel's different personalities looked like SS characters. For instance, as a teenager, he looked like either Little Chrissy or Same Sound Brown, and when he was a crook, he looked like Lefty!)

BlueAM

8. Splurge

Splurge Member

It's so difficult to pick a favorite because they were all great. But I think my very favorite is:
    "Happy Girl Meets a Monster". Great to see how the Beautiful Day Monster thing began in Muppet skits. Also like seeing the tiny finger-puppet version of Beautiful Day.

I was even amused of the blooper involving the flower pot falling off the wall long before Beautiful Day was supposed to throw it down. And the way whoever handled the props managed to hand up the pot again just in time to be smashed down again on cue.

Jim did all the voices, but I have a feeling it was Frank who played the Monster.

9. Ryan

Ryan New Member

It's one of my favorites, too. Frank was playing the girl, and Jim Beautiful Day. Frank was lip synching with the puppet to Jim's voice. The audio was prerecorded.

10. TravellingMatt

TravellingMatt New Member

My favorites:

Mahna Mahna
    Business, Business
    Monster Rock Group
    Wild String Quartet
    Art of Visual Thinking (this concept would later be rehashed on Sesame Street with 2 Anything Muppets)
    I've Grown Accustomed... (somewhere Robin is watching this and wondering why someday he'll be explaining this to a therapist)

11. dmx10101

dmx10101 Member

Rock and Roll Monster
    Octopus garden
    the glutton
    I feel pretty
    and the one with the little guy saying dobe do and the other two things going doo doo do do or something like that

12. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

My favorites are..

-The Rock and Roll Monster
    -Mah Nah Mah Nah
    -Change of Face
    -Monster Eats Computer(it's got the early Cookie Monster in it)
    -Christmas Reindeers
    -Scrapyll Flaap
    -Big Bird's Dance
    -Visualizing Your Thoughts
    -The Glutton
    -Santa Claus w/Monsters(it's got an early Grover in the skit!)
    -Monster Trash Can Dance(precursor to Oscar the Grouch????)
    -Inchworm
    -Octopus' Garden
    -Monster Family
    -The String Quartet

13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

my faves?

My favorite skits are Mahna Mahna, String Quartet, Arthur Godfrey as Santa Clause, The Computer Dinner, Girl Meets Monster, Buisness Buisness, Inchworm, and Scryap Flyap.

14. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

I loved the Octopus's Garden skit. Jim was the swimmer, Frank was the Octopus, who was acting a lot like Fozzie. And I believe Jerry was the small clam.

The Christmas Reindeer skit was cool too. I recognized Jim and Frank's voices in that one.

And I liked how Mahna Mahna had an funny speaking role in Stringed Quartet and how Jerry voiced the leader of the quartet. I believe Richard and Frank were the other two guys as well.

And Business Business was cool and it kind of shows the truth in life. Sometimes, people start up something wonderful and nice to make everyone happy. But then later on when it becomes successful, things change and it starts becoming business to them.

15. Harvey Towers

Harvey Towers Active Member

I prefer the Sam and Friends visual thinking sketch, but in this version its nice that Kermit, having learnt in the S&F sketch is now teaching...

I think my favorite is the "Change of Face" sketch, "Computer Dinner" and "Christmas Reindeer" (no S I fear!)

It's great looking back on early puppets and personalities and hereing the various voices used for different characters such as Fozzie as a Reindeer.

It's also worth noting how Ed Sullivan introduces these as "for the children", maybe not entirely true...

16. ChickyBoy37

ChickyBoy37 Well-Known Member

My favorites

-The Art of Visual Thinking (Some how Prof. Hastings would've been observing this.)

-Rock it To Me (Very Clever Especially with Sour Bird eating the monster afterwards.)

-Octopus's Garden (who Else wouldn't love a wisecracking octopus wh sounds like Grover?)

-Monster Trash Can Dance (I love the explosions Jim used)

-Monster Family (Using Splurge to surprise the Audience! Awsome)

-Inchworm (I love the sketches I've seen the Muppet show one as well)

Sclrap Flyapp (I love this version, I also Love the Hugga Wugga Version too.)