Your ideas for the 50th Muppet Annversery celebration

beaker

Reaction score
Some might not know this...heck the tagline has been '25 Yeare of the Muppets' which might confuse people. But in all reality the Muppets hav ebeen around about twice that.

Which brings us to 2005. What are some ideas you guys might have for the huge 50th Annv celebration?

I would expect JHC to put on nothing short of a grand spectaculair the like sof which weve never seen.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Cory,

Well i would love to see something similar to The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years.

The Muppets have grown alot since then, They now have Fraggle Rock,Bear In The Big Blue House, Mopatops Shop, the Jim Henson Hour Gang, The Muppets Tonight Gang and lots lots more !

In The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years all that was there was Sam and Friends, Emmet Otters Jugband Christmas, Sesame Street and Little Muppet Monsters.

It would be truly spectacular to see something like that done now.

They wouldnt have to change nothing, Just add more Muppets that have come along over the years.

See ya

SgtPepper

Reaction score
Have a HUGE episiode of the muppet show... with the Jim Henson Muppet as the Special Guest Star. It should also feature the characters from Fraggle Rock and other JHC productions. It should have the original Jim Henson characters as well.

If I ran it it would be like 3 hours long but It would ROCK !!!

Salmoto

Reaction score
If they jsut did a simple little tribute, that'd be fine with me. Seeing as how much they promoted 25 Years of the Muppet Show, in 3 years people will be prone to say, "What? Again? it hasn't been another 25 years...."

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Salmoto
If they jsut did a simple little tribute, that'd be fine with me. Seeing as how much they promoted 25 Years of the Muppet Show, in 3 years people will be prone to say, "What? Again? it hasn't been another 25 years...."
I agree - thats exactly how the media will see it although the public have shorter memories nowdays. They should have probably just done the simple thing for the Muppet Show anniversary and then gone all out for 50 years of the Muppets but i guess both they and EMTV needed the money and the brand needed the extra promotion celebrating something brings. I guess if they ended up owned by Disney things could be different though and they could work up an even more high profile celebration that was a little different than the usual Henson stuff.

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah, this 25th annv angle was cool, but I think JHC could put on the grandest celebration starting January 2005. Thats roughly one year to get started.

I agree with Warrick...I could totally see a HUGE 'Muppets celebrate 50 years' featuring a WIDE cross section of the last 50 years...yes, that would mean Muppets from Sam and Friends,
Muppet Show, Sesame, Fraggle, Bear, Mopatop, Hoobs, JHH, MT,
the upcoming new show, international Muppets, etc. I would like to see an insane event at say Madison Square Garden, or
some place just monolithicly grand...that kind of 'pee your pants' grandieur.

As for what Luke said...it may confuse people...as some of the promotion from this year wasnt clear. On the back of a lot of things it said something like 'celebrating 25 years of the Muppets', when in fact its more like 50. Anyways, I dont wanna sound like Im making a big deal...but half a century is a pretty darn cool legacy, especially when you factor in all the far reaches the Muppets have gone since their inception.
So yeah, party like it's 2005, hehe^_^

Luke

Reaction score
Nah - it's too much too soon, i think if they had wanted to do this they would have downplayed the 25th anniversary of the Muppet Show. People are much more likely to identify with the Muppet Show in the 70's than Jim's very early work so it was IMO the best choice.

I see them maybe doing a 'special' on TV if they can get the airtime featuring clips and memories from the people involved and celebrities linked together by Henson puppets. (though Sprocket is the only Fraggle even slightly possible) I would think we won't see many 50th anniversary merchandise lines and playing the promotion/guest appearance angle for yet another year would give them so much flack - it's been done to death already.

I guess it's pretty much upto the new owners - a company like Disney would probably want to make a big deal of any excuse for an anniversary as they know how to spin them into massive things but if they get sold to Saban or another small company and they just do the 25th thing again it'll be boring.

As for live Muppet events, they just aren't profitable for whoever owns Henson to sanction ...... if it was upto JHC you'd have seen one this year but unfortunately it isn't. Thats part of the reason they aren't exactly chomping at the bit to do another Muppetfest anytime soon. The only reason there ever was one happened to be because they needed a big promotional event to hype the anniversary licenses and tout for TV/Film contracts.

I think personally i'll be happy if they can just get a half decent TV show off the ground on Fox and regain some popularity among all the different age groups. They'll be doing just fine ...... Madison Square Garden can wait ! :big_grin: