1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your main six

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by ryhoyarbie, Aug 22, 2007.

1. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Active Member

What are your main six muppets.

For the longest time when Jim Henson was around, I always thought the main six muppets were Kermit, Piggy, Rowlf, Fozzie, Scooter, and Gonzo. I still consider them the main six, in my opinion. (Not including the Electric Mayhem, of course.)

But in recent years it's been Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, and Animal, or Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal, and Pepe. Don't know why Pepe would be part of the main six in recent years, but it seems he managed to move up in ranks since his debute in Muppets Tonight.
  2. the80sdrummer

the80sdrummer Member

My six...

1) Animal - He's a drummer, too so I can relate :halo:

2) Rowlf - For a dog, he can play a mean piano. His one-liners back in the day were hilarious

3) Scooter - Something about him was just awesome

4) Fozzie Bear - Heck, I thought his jokes were funny :o

5) Sam The Eagle - Always wanting to do the "right" thing. How is that not something to look up to?

6) Kermit - This frog should be on everyone's list. So cool, calm & collected... when he needed to be :)
  3. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Kermit and Miss Piggy of course, I also think Fozzie and Gonzo are staples. I'd like to think of Rowlf as number six, but I honestly think it's Rizzo.
  4. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Well, since it's up to me, I'd chuck Animal out of the top 6. :halo:

Right now, it's probably Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe. For character interaction, at least. Animal interacts with all of them but sort of as comic relief, but I think these 6 sort of need each other for fuel for the fire, so to speak.

For example: Fozzie and Kermit are best buds, Kermit loves Piggy, Piggy hates Gonzo, Gonzo and Rizzo are best buds, Rizzo competes with Pepe, Pepe hits on Miss Piggy. Fozzie's sort of the odd man out because he can't do much with Miss Piggy since they are performed by the same person, and everyone else is already paired off. But Animal? He doesn't have the same character interaction as these guys. So I would choose them for my modern top 6.

As for back in TMS days, I'm pretty sure there's no contest: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and Rowlf.
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

To be honest I guess I just always went with what was on the screen: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter and maybe Rowlf. Somewhere along the line they became the "Big 6." Then the Electric Mayhem was a little separate because they were "the band." Lol
  6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Before 1990, I would say the main six were Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, and Scooter. Now, it's Kermit, Fozzie, Miss Piggy, Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe. But back in 1999, when I first played the video game Mario Party, I thought that there should be a Muppet Party, and figured that there would be six players, and those six would have been Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, and Clifford. This was shortly before Muppets From Space was released and Pepe was known as a main character (and even a solo character without Seymour).
  7. Telly

Telly Active Member

Back in the day:
    Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, and Scooter (Muppet Babies kinda set that standard)

Today:
    Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe
  8. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Of course I have to agree that it was always: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, Rowlf in the old days...though, when it came to The Muppet Movie Scooter was basically replaced with Camilla as one of the six. Then in GMC Camilla wasn't around, as such, in fact Beauregard and Pops had bigger roles than either Camilla or Scooter...but they was hardly a main character. Possibly because a lot of the plot concentrated around the main human characters.

By TMTM, there was a regular crowd of main-ers, but if we leave off the Electric Mayhem we're back to the original six (plus Rizzo, plus Camilla). In fact...maybe we should be figureing the main 8 rather than the main 6? After all...Rizzo and Camilla always were very important.

Annnyway, as for modern Muppets (in order of popularity and regognisability) Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Animal, Chef (CHEF? Is true!) But in terms of who I wish were the main 6...Kermie, Piggy, Gonzy, Rizzy, Pepe, Fozzie
  9. peyjenk

peyjenk New Member

Okay, call me crazy, but I have never thought of Rowlf as one of the main characters. I know he was a more prominent character through the 80s, but even then he seemed more on par with Janice, Bunsen, Beaker, Swedish Chef, etc., who were kind of the "second string".

Actually, I always thought of the main Muppet Show cast as a group of four or five: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, and sometimes Scooter.

Now, however, it seems that Fozzie and Gonzo are down in popularity, and the Muppets you usually see in advertising are Kermit, Piggy, and Pepe. I don't know if we even HAVE a core group beyond those three anymore.
  10. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Hmmm... well, back in the TMS days:
    Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, Gonzo, Rowlf and Scooter.

Nowadays I'd say most of them are the same. I think Pepe has really overridden Rizzo in popularity, so I'd say that the new main six are Kermit, Fozzie, Piggy, Gonzo, Animal and Pepe.
  11. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Well, the first ever-green five are easy.

Kermit
    Fozzie
    Gonzo
    Piggy
    Animal

Now a traditionalist might say Rowlf deserves the 6th slot. Muppet Show enthusiasts could say Scooter and I wouldn't disagree with that either. However, it seems Rizzo and Pepe have slid into that sixth slot this past decade.

If you ask me about the commercial appeal of a 6th main Muppet character, then the choice is clear. Beaker would sell best in product form as the sixth main Muppet. But I'd rather go with one of my faves for number six.

Scooter ;)
    (Rowlf would be the seventh)
  12. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Scooter was definatly on par with Fozzie and Gonzo in TMS1 (not sure about the other seasons, I haven't seen enough). He was one of the main guys, and stories revolved around him in some way or rather more often than not. It's a pity that he was religated to selling t-shirts in MFS, but at least he was there. And the reason was good enough for his absence.

But the main characters have always fluctuated. Bunsen and Beaker are definatly in the forefront in the race to be main characters. They were even with the gang in MFS until they got left back at the bus station.