1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Dog City DVD

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by Phillip, Jun 6, 2010.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

"Dog City: The Movie" will arrive on DVD this Tuesday June 8. Here's our review of this anticipated DVD. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Since most of us will be getting "Dog City: The Movie", we'd like to mention that if you order the Dog City DVD from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the DVD with a low-price guarantee. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through Amazon links on our site.

Once you receive your "Dog City: The Movie" DVD, post here and let us know your thoughts on this anticipated release.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Uh... it's not that I won't get this, but I'm devastatingly disappointed. "May if" usually turns into no freaking way. I'm very disappointed that they couldn't even manage a SINGLE episode, much less 2. I'm sure there's some good reason or something... but this really seems bare and...again, disappointing.

I mean, I'm still going to get it, but really...
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Has anybody else had trouble finding a copy of this today? I searched my local Target, Walmart, Best Buy, and Toys R Us, and couldn't find it at any of those places.
  4. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

"Well, we'd have enough if we had a hit on Broadway!":mad:
    (Okay- maybe it won't take that much.;))
    Have faith- Dog City: The Animated Series may see a release on DVD yet. (By the way, it is available to watch for 2 bucks per episode on Amazon.com, just so you know...-Though I'd still rather just pay the money all at once and get the whole thing on DVD.):concern:
  5. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Got my copy today at Best Buy. There were only two copies on the self!

This is a great DVD. The movie is a Henson Classic and I love that the JHH Theme Music plays at the disc menu and during the Art Gallery and Behind The Scenes gallery. Could have included more bonus features though.

Another great thing about Dog City is that they kept Rowlf's scenes in tack! :sympathy:
  6. minor muppetz

SO I guess either this DVD is selling out, or many places didn't order many copies, or something is delaying it from coming to my area (I don't know what else was supposed to be released today).

I downloaded it on iTunes, but I might still buy a physical copy if I can find one.
  7. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy New Member

I checked blockbuster (dumb move, I know) and the idiot man says there was "no such thing" but I ended up finding it at Target while shopping for Rice Cakes :) Great movie too!
  8. Drtooth

Me too... I hate buying single episodes online because... well, what happens if the file doesn't play properly? You're out the money, and I don't know if you can return the data for a better version. I tried downloading the free Sesame Street Podcasts before, and they didn't play right on my iTunes. In fact, they kept crashing iTunes.

I really hope they DO release the series... either in season sets or whatever. Not several episodes on a disk, though. I haven't seen the series except for the 2 episodes that were on the Big Squeak video for years. It'd be a shame if this series was lost.

But I'm still getting the movie in spite of that. You'd be mad not to get it at all.
  9. minor muppetz

I downloaded this off iTunes, and I must say I am surprised that the Jim Henson Hour closing theme music appears during the theme credits. With the exception of Living with Dinosaurs I've seen every JHH special outside of JHH and when shown as their own specials all the others have different closing music (The Secrets of the Muppets is the only exception, but that's the only one shown outside the series to contian the regular Jim Henson Hour closing, though would it count as being shown outside the series since the opening and Jim's intro/outro are shown...?). I would have expected typical gangste rmovie music, or maybe an instrumental version of the "Dog City" song.

Interestingly, two years ago every episode of The Jim Henson Hour was uploaded on Youtube, but sometime afterwards Dog City and Song of the Cloud Forrest were removed. The person who uploaded them said on his channel page that it was taken down by Henson, but I suspect it was actually HIT (too bad this note isn't mentioned in the description for the "health and fitness" episode... people watching it on youtube who don't check the users page might wonder why they can't find Song of the Cloud Forrest there). Anyway, back when it was uploaded, I watched all of the MuppeTelevision portion, but not much of the actual special. I think I just watched the first few minutes of the special, and then went to the last part and skipped to Jim Henson's outro and the show's closing. So I saw all the stuff that couldn't be on this DVD but not much of this special until now.
  10. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

I thought it was fun, I mean it's not the best Henson thing I've seen but it's not the worst either. It was great hearing the Jim Henson Hour theme music play on the dvd, shame we didn't get any bits with Jim. I also loved how much Rowlf was in the movie, I forgot how much air time he got.
  11. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

I'm VERY happy that Rowlf was allowed to be featured in this special. If he wasn't, the DVD would of been REALLY bad, not that the story itself was bad, just would of been really bare. I wish there was more bonus features, not adding the cartoons, even just one or two episodes would of really made it seem like you're getting your money worth.

I'm really happy that Lionsgate is releasing all these Henson specials on DVD and I'll probably keep buying them, I just wish they "step it up" when it comes to bonus features.
  12. matleo

matleo Active Member

Found mine last week ay Barnes & Noble. Borders said they wouldn't be carrying it. BB&N is also doing it's buy 2 get the 3rd free sale for DVD and Blu-Ray, so I was able to get this and a few other things.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this but isn't it a little odd that during the credits there was no cast list?

--Matt
  13. minor muppetz

I wonder if the lack of bonus episodes could be because of the Amazon burn-on-demand releases of the series.
  14. cabbageheat

cabbageheat New Member

I'm on the fence.

I just watched it with my kids, and they really enjoyed it, and I enjoyed it as well, not having seen it in about 20+ years. It retained all the goofy humor I remember, and it still got laughs, the action and comedy were great to see and share again.

However. I feel as if, in general, its just a sloppy DVD. Where are the special features? Commentary by.... someone? More artwork and behind the scenes images? Isn't the Henson archive allowing anyone access to their father/founders legacy? And why in the world is the wrong music playing at the DVD menu screen? A completely different show (that is still not anywhere to be found) as the background music? yeah...it was a treat to hear, but ultimately out of place and ridiculous being on a Dog City DVD.

This is a hard thing to criticize to some extent, we all wanted to see this again, and its great to have it in hand, but on the same token, its just a lazy release, a bare bones release that leaves a lot of fans wanting more, and yet at the same time scratching their head at the choices that were made, and the lack of content. Is there really going to be another release in the future? A special edition? I don't think so.

So yeah...we got it. It's in hand, but its missing vital parts that would have made this a great addition to my growing Henson collection of DVD's. But, like many things coming out of the Henson, or HIT, there is this continuous vacuum, a lack of content, that just isn't getting out. George Lucas at least cracks the vault open every once in a while and lets stuff spill out.....they need to take a cue from Lucasfilm. I guess I'm just slightly disappointed....to say the least.
  15. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

You know you've watched too much Dog City when you keep making the dog jokes without realizing it!

I understand where all your thoughts are coming from, but i tend to share the opposite view on most of it.

Since Dog City originally came from the Jim Henson Hour (and in that episode was nearly the entire hour), i thought the JHH theme music was a really nice touch. I don't doubt that the Dog City series will make its way to dvd so if i want to hear the Dog City theme, that will be the place...and it will be at the beginning/end of each episode so i'll also probably get dog tired of it!

I'll give you the lack of bone-us features. But honestly there wasn't a huge deal they could have used. I know we were expecting some episodes of the series on there but again we'll get 'em soon enough anyway.

As per letting the vaults open, that's what we're seeing. I NEVER thought we'd see Dog City on dvd after the Henson/Disney split. Plus all the other recent stuff from Lionsgate is pretty much on the more obscure side that years ago seemed like pipe dreams to see on dvd. I can almost see them keeping this release a bit smaller because given the cooperation in getting the Dog City special released (even without the MT segments but with Rowlf and a bunch of dog puppets that came from the Muppet Show) and the upcoming Henson's Place, i think it may be a matter of time (maybe not super soon but eventual) where we could actually get a Jim Henson Hour dvd set with Muppet segments included. This is a step in the process. It may not seem like much right now but down the line, it could be quite significant.
  16. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

This was because in the full JHH episode, the performers' credits appeared at the very beginning of the episode (after the theme song when the show comes back from commercial, a bank of monitors are shown where they show Muppets played by particular Muppeteers with the Muppeteer's name given). They probably overlooked this when they redid Dog City for a standalone special.
  17. Drtooth

2 episodes of the cartoon series were SUPPOSED to come with the DVD. I still don't see why even 1 was out of the question, unless there's some stupid holdup on Nelvana's end (which I doubt). Still... they could have at least tried to get an episode in. it's not like the bonus short episodes of the Fraggle Rock cartoons hurt the sales of the animated series collection.
  18. minor muppetz

I downloaded the special on iTunes and the Jim Henson Hour closing theme music is included. Is that music on the commercial DVD release or is it different end music?
  19. minor muppetz

Even though I downloaded it on iTunes, I finally found and bought a copy of the DVD today.

I always expected Ace You to have the same voice as Elliot Shag, since they were both performed by Kevin Clash. Was surprised to hear him sound like Clifford.
  20. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

hey..IF any MC member is havin a hard time lookin for Dog City the Movie or Song of the Cloud Forest on DVD, I found it them in Kmart lastnight, $9.99 each,...just ONE copy of each tho shoved in between some Sesame Street dvds.. I bought them both... I had my girlfriend help me look for "Hensons Place" on dvd, didnt find it tho...but I found these 2 dvds! :) also on a side note I found the Sesame Street 20 years and counting" dvd at a local store for $7.99, there was a few of thos.
    :sing: