Your Thoughts: Elmo’s Christmas Countdown

SesameStMuppets

Reaction score
I just sat down to seriously watch the special yesterday. I was surprisingly pleased, even with my low expectations and personal bias against Elmo and Abby.

Personally, my favorite scene was Oscar's bit with 'I Hate Christmas.' :grouchy: It's my favorite Christmas song that shows a discontent with its yuletide bliss! Not to mention that Caroll Spinney is by far my favorite Muppet performer (we share a birthday and his characters have a particuarly warm part in my heart) :wisdom: .

A VERY close second was the Bert and Ernie christmas show. It was probably the BEST part of the special, but again, December 26!

I personally didn't have any beef with the set, considering the context of the pop-up book / flashback. I did notice in the credits that the show was taped in the same studio as Sesame Street itself which bothered me; they were 20 feet from the real thing and opted out of it... a poor decision in my book.

I was disappointed with the Anne Hathaway scene. Don't get me wrong, I love Anne Hathaway and (obviously) the characters in the scene. But the voice / sound track of Big Bird was off. It was clearly Matt Vogel performing Big physically (face it, Caroll hasn't kept his head hu that high in a while) while Caroll sang; that's all well and good. My problem was with Matt's dialogue inserts. I suppose it may have been a test to literally transition Matt into the part, but (as a long devoted fan) I was disappointed.

On a different note, Santa was lack luster. Not only was the finale a bit too anti-climatic, but Kevin James was not a good Santa Claus. His call-outs to Big Bird and Grover were cool, but it took me like half of his air-time to realize that it wasn't some kind of joke! With a lame beard and a bedazzled belt, he was the furthest thing from a Santa since Arthur Godfrey on the Ed Sullivan show.

Lastly, while the variety of the songs was incredible, I agree with most of the fourm members that the Sesame Street humans could have easily replaced at least a few of the celebrity guest stars, especially Alicia Keys. While 'Do You Hear What I Hear?' is a good song and kind of an Elmo staple, it probably have been more appropriate to see Bob, Susan, and Maria (or at the very least Miles and Gabi).

I know it seems like a lot of negativity, but I really did enjoy this show and will definetally keep it in my holiday line-up. That's just what I think. Hopefully I didn't offend anybody :stick_out_tongue: !