Your Thoughts: HBO Max streaming service officially launches

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bill Cosby and John John will no longer appear on DVD releases, there’s no doubt about that.
The odd thing is that I’ve seen John-John had his offenses long ago. I thought it was recent, but I saw an article about it that was dated sometime before the first Old School release and before Sesame Workshop started putting clips online. Perhaps it passed Sesame Workshop’s radar until recently (while the segments are memorable, John-John isn’t as high profile as Bill Cosby).

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The only other thing I’d guess is them giving John-John a “free pass” for being a child star (keep in mind Sesame Workshop likes to pretend pre-Elmo never existed when it comes to home media releases. We were lucky “Me, Claudius” even got a release at all).

hooperfan

Reaction score
Here's another part of a scene that got cut from HBO Max... Gordon and others show the viewer words that rhyme with snow... and at the end, he gets hit in the face with snow. This last part got cut

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
A freaking snowball? Have we really gotten THAT sensitive with friendly humor mean-spirited content?

hooperfan

Reaction score
Perhaps the most baffling edit from these recent shows is cutting scene 6 of episode 593: Cookie Monster is trying to make peanut butter by spreading butter on a peanut... David points out that peanut butter is not made that way, and it segues into an insert from season 2 about how peanut butter is made...

OK, those two segments are cut... BUT, they show Cookie's reaction to that scene (out of context), and he proceeds to eat the stick of butter and his pile of peanuts..

Just seems odd to not just cut it all altogether... But that's just my humble opinion

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Kinda makes me think those warnings on the Old School DVDs weren't that unnecessary after all if this is the alternative.
True, because Bert saying “meatball” to Ernie is a swear word after all!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The only other thing I’d guess is them giving John-John a “free pass” for being a child star (keep in mind Sesame Workshop likes to pretend pre-Elmo never existed when it comes to home media releases. We were lucky “Me, Claudius” even got a release at all).
I don’t think Sesame Workshop necessarily likes to pretend “proto-Elmo” never existed.
His early years do get acknowledged. I guess they’re a bit obscure and until recently the internet didn’t have much info on specific Brian Meehl/Richard Hunt as Elmo moments. I wonder if Joe Hennes tried to get any of those on the 50th anniversary set.

Though it is interesting that they haven’t put any of those early speaking roles online, and none of the classic episodes on HBO Max feature Brian or Richard’s Elmo.

datman24

Reaction score
I don’t think Sesame Workshop necessarily likes to pretend “proto-Elmo” never existed.
His early years do get acknowledged. I guess they’re a bit obscure and until recently the internet didn’t have much info on specific Brian Meehl/Richard Hunt as Elmo moments. I wonder if Joe Hennes tried to get any of those on the 50th anniversary set.

Though it is interesting that they haven’t put any of those early speaking roles online, and none of the classic episodes on HBO Max feature Brian or Richard’s Elmo.
I'm pretty sure that no matter what Sesame Workshop puts out, its target audience must be their first priority. Sure, all those episodes they are putting out on HBO Max will more likely be enjoyed by older viewers, but they at least need make it appropriate enough so that not only today's preschoolers could get something out of it, but they certainly do not want to set a bad example for the little ones, especially in a world where the internet exists. They also do not want to confuse the **** out of them. What I am basically trying to say is do not expect them to release any pre-Kevin Clash Elmo clips anytime in the near future.