1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street 40 Years Hardcover Book

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Phillip, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Sunny days, sweeping the clouds away... The long-awaited book Sesame Street: A Celebration - 40 Years of Life on the Street has finally arrived.

Read our review here...
    http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/merchandise/sesame_40_years_book.shtml

Since most of us will be getting the book, "A Celebration - 40 Years of Life on the Street", we'd like to mention that if you order the release from Amazon using this link, that a small portion of your entire order will go to Muppet Central to help keep the site, forum and radio running smoothly. It's a great way to help MC and get a great price on the book with free shipping. We greatly appreciate each person that helps support MC by placing orders through Amazon links on our site.

After you receive your book, please be sure to post your thoughts and let us know what you think about the latest Sesame release.
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Ag, me wantie! I fear I may have to wait for Christmas for it....
  3. zns

zns Active Member

If I can wait an entire year for this to come out, then I can still wait until Christmas for this to come out. Outstanding review Phil. It seems to be a 99% more better than I expected. :):):)
  4. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Great review! But I must know... Is the section titled "Big screen, little screen" dedicated to the two movies?

Is Michael Earl mentioned in the book?

Is there any mention or photos of Leslie Mostly, Aristotle, Shivers the Penguin, The Mudman, Professor Hastings, or Rodeo Rosie?

What clips are in the montage of classic clips on the bonus DVD?
  5. zns

zns Active Member

What I find interesting in the review are the two photos from the "Bert and Ernie Sing-Along" and The Count Counts" albums. Where they actually taped into episodes first and then put into album format? I wonder. But like I said, the anticipation is just mind-boggling. I hope I can find in my retail bookstore soon. :batty::insatiable:
  6. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

Fantastic review, Phil! Very well written and I LOVE those pictures! Can't wait to get my copy!
  7. BIGMuppetFan

BIGMuppetFan Member

I am really wanting this book and 40 years of Sunny Days DVD set now! :D This review has gotten me even more excited! Thanks! :D
  8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It's a shame that the bonus DVD doesn't have a preview for the 40th anniversary set. I hope that a trailer comes out online soon. It has previews for the Old School sets, but not the two-disc anniversary set?
  9. zns

zns Active Member

When do you suppose retail shops will start carrying the book?
  10. zns

zns Active Member

Never mind. I just looked over a copy in my local Barnes & Noble and it is a lot better than I could have ever anticipated. Now I know what to expect if I can get this as a Christmas gift.
  11. jeffkjoe

jeffkjoe New Member

I just got my copy delivered from Amazon.com.

Wow. It took me 2 hours just to go through every page and just look at the photographs. No reading. Just photos.

It'll take me days to pore over every sentence, cuz there's so much detail!

But so many questions have been answered, such as:

1) What does the area behind Oscar's trash can look like (where Carroll Spinney operates?) There's a picture of that.
    2) What did Carroll Spinney back in 1969 during the early days of the show? (There are multiple pics of that)
    3) What does it look like to dismantle and put the set back together again? (There are pics on THAT!)
    4) What did Fran Brill look like back in the early 1970's performing with Jim and Frank? And what did Jim and Frank look like? (There are pics of THAT!)
    5) And all the different Sesame Street studio sets, from the one on Broadway, to the Reeves studio, to the Kaufman-Astoria one....They're all there.

My goodness. There's no way to top this book. It's so comprehensive, it's amazing!
  12. BIGMuppetFan

BIGMuppetFan Member

I am really looking forward to getting this book for Christmas! It seems like its has everything I and everyone else has been looking for for years! It also comes with a DVD which is cool!

I know once I or any of us get it will be one of those book that you look at a page and it makes you think of a memory and you then you have to go that page that has that memory on it and before you know it you are lost inside the book and time goes and you don't know it! :D

Good thing I have a Month off for Christmas Break! :D
  13. Andibcool

Andibcool Member

I just did order mine using the muppetcentral link.
    Cant wait to have it.
  14. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

Must get BOOK, I mean if it's like the reviewer stated then it going to give us a more in-depth look on the show than ever before. :wisdom:
  15. theprawncracker

I can't get over this book... Oh my GOSH. Talk about absolutely stunning. This is the greatest thing that has come out of the 40th Anniversary (unless the DVD set just absolutely blows my mind, but that's going to be tough after this book). It is a MUST buy for all Sesame fans. It's incredible, in-depth, and gorgeous! Five out of five!
  16. theprawncracker

17. BIGMuppetFan

BIGMuppetFan Member

That was a great review and I can not wait to get this book and look through every page again and again! It sounds like an amazing read for the fans that have been wanting something like this for years! Thanks for this review and I can't wait to look at it and review it myself! :)
  18. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I went over to my local Barnes & Noble this last weekend and spent like 4 hours poring over this book! That was awesome! Tons of great pictures and information in there- it was particularly great seeing the entry on Jim Henson and seeing all those great pictures of Jim and Kermit.:)
    Of course, I'd still love to see an actual episode guide included for Sesame Street (which of course would be a book in itself.):D
  19. zns

zns Active Member

"Unpaved" certainly cannot compete with something like this. Of course, I plan to keep my copy of "Unpaved for as long as I live, since I have signatures in it signed by Caroll Spinney, Martin P. Robinson, and Leslie Carrara-Rudolph.
  20. boostboy

boostboy New Member

I bought this book saturday night and everytime I go to look at it I can't quit looking. It is an awesome book! I wish they can make book awards, this book definately deserves an award! I cannot wait to get my hands on the dvd. I hope I don't have to order it because I don't have a credit card. I hope I can just go to the store and go pick it up. Will you please send me a list of where I can go pick it up.
    Thank you,
    boostboy