Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School DVD

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
I've been watching the episodes and loving it but one thing caught my eye the other night. Episode 406 has the song "Dee Dee Dee" in but at the very end of the song it cuts right after it's done. Cookie Monster is spoused to faint over but it doesn't. It goes right to the next segment. Is that a mess up or did this episode air on Noggin and they cut that part out?
Muppet Wiki's page for this episopde doesn't mention the edit for either Old School or Noggin. I hope somebody can say whether it was edited this way on Noggin. However, I don't think Noggin's master tapes were used (Noggin cut more from each episode than the DVD set did). It's possible that this sketch (and the ending of the sketch where Ernie counted to 10 in the second season premier) was originally edited when the episode was broadcast (perhaps cut for time), and therefore it's presented this way. I can't remember if Cookie Monster's faint was cut on the Do the Alphabet video. However, this DVD set does include other faints. In the same episode, Fat Blue faints at the end of the Grover the Waiter sketch, and one of the bonus sketches is Over, Under, Around, and Through, which ends with Grover fainting (and since it's a bonus sketch, Sesame Workshop chose to include it).

Also, while not a faint, Sesame Workshop chose to replace one skit in episode 536 with the sketch where Grover does chin-ups, which ends with him falling off a stairway, which seems like a faint, but more dangerous than how Cookie Monster fainted (though Grover's fall happened off-screen). And Sesame Workshop has released Sesame Street DVDs recently with fainting scenes. The 2004 DVD release A Celebration of Me, Grover! has Grover fainting in Ove,r Under, Around, and Through and ABC Disco, and I think Fat Blue faints twice in that DVD.

Erine81981

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Muppet Wiki's page for this episopde doesn't mention the edit for either Old School or Noggin. I hope somebody can say whether it was edited this way on Noggin. However, I don't think Noggin's master tapes were used (Noggin cut more from each episode than the DVD set did). It's possible that this sketch (and the ending of the sketch where Ernie counted to 10 in the second season premier) was originally edited when the episode was broadcast (perhaps cut for time), and therefore it's presented this way. I can't remember if Cookie Monster's faint was cut on the Do the Alphabet video. However, this DVD set does include other faints. In the same episode, Fat Blue faints at the end of the Grover the Waiter sketch, and one of the bonus sketches is Over, Under, Around, and Through, which ends with Grover fainting (and since it's a bonus sketch, Sesame Workshop chose to include it).

Also, while not a faint, Sesame Workshop chose to replace one skit in episode 536 with the sketch where Grover does chin-ups, which ends with him falling off a stairway, which seems like a faint, but more dangerous than how Cookie Monster fainted (though Grover's fall happened off-screen). And Sesame Workshop has released Sesame Street DVDs recently with fainting scenes. The 2004 DVD release A Celebration of Me, Grover! has Grover fainting in Ove,r Under, Around, and Through and ABC Disco, and I think Fat Blue faints twice in that DVD.
Thanks but you did watch the video I posted?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Thanks but you did watch the video I posted?
No, I didn'. I already have copies of both The Alphabet Game and Old School Vol. 1, so why would I need to watch a video clip of something I already have (especially if I have two copies of the same clip)?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
This isn't rocket science, nor is it censorship

Learn this term: POST ROLL. It's the camera still rolling after the skit is done, capturing the activity that happens after the most important parts of the script - extra dialogue, extension of a song, the puppeteers fooling around, etc.. Sometimes it's shown in episodes, other times it's not (it's often shown in foreign countries). It depends on the editor's choice. This is the case with "Dee Dee Dee," "E&B: The world's greatest counter" and several others.

Likewise, PRE ROLL is the camera rolling before the skit begins.

Erine81981

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
No, I didn'. I already have copies of both The Alphabet Game and Old School Vol. 1, so why would I need to watch a video clip of something I already have (especially if I have two copies of the same clip)?
So then you do know that in "The Alphabet Game" video that Cookie Monster does faint at the end of the song but in the Old School DVD that it cuts away from that part.

Boober Gorg said:
Learn this term: POST ROLL. It's the camera still rolling after the skit is done, capturing the activity that happens after the most important parts of the script - extra dialogue, extension of a song, the puppeteers fooling around, etc.. Sometimes it's shown in episodes, other times it's not (it's often shown in foreign countries). It depends on the editor's choice. This is the case with "Dee Dee Dee," "E&B: The world's greatest counter" and several others.

Would you mind putting that in lamina terms Boobergorg?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I had noticed the cutting before, but I didn't know about the Post Roll term, thanks!

dabauckham

Reaction score
Boober_Gorg said:

This makes a lot of sense to me, BooberGorg. It's like some of those post-rolls shown in Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, where Frank Oz is just fooling around between takes... makes sense that some broadcasts might choose to show this post roll stuff while others wouldn't, depending on time, style, etc.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
For these Old School releases, I wonder if Sesame Workshop remasters everything from the episodes, or if whenever a sketch is repeated, Sesame Workshop just remasters the sketch the first time it's released on a set, and then puts the remastered version in all episodes. I hope that's not the case, because then any cut sketches might get cut in future releeases of episodes featuring uncut versions of the cut skits.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I know that they always seem to keep the Camera rolling when ever Frank Oz is preforming because he always does or says something funny afterwards.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if it would be a good idea to have a bonus feature that's just a clip montage of characters fainting. I know that the opening clip montage from Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting featured a few clips of characters fainting during the middle of the clip montage, but it would be funny to see as much fainting as possible. Oddly enough, I was thinking about this recently, and I realised that, beside the sketch where Cookie Monster dresses as Ernie and eats Bert's cookies (where Ernie also faints), I can't think of any sketches where Bert fainted off-hand, even though I remember seeing Bert faint alot when I was a child. What sketches has he fainted in? I can't remember if he fainted in the sketch where Ernie wanted him to pretend that he was mad or if he just acted very stressed out. I have afeeling that he might have fainted in the sketch where Ernie has an important note for Bert, and messes up the apartment while trying to find it, and then Ernie finds the note, which reads "Dear Bert, today is your day to clean the apartment, from Ernie". But I don't ever remember seeing that sketch.

Anyway, this would make a good fainting montage:
Grover faints (from the original first and last sketch)
Grover faints (from the near and far sketch)
Ernie and Bert faint (from the sketch where Cookie Monster dresses as Ernie)
Kermit faints (from the sketch where Kermit wants a personalized t-shirt)
Bert faints
Cookie Monster faints (from Dee, Dee, Dee)
Fat Blue faints (from the sketch where Grover forgets to give Fat Blue a spoon)
Bert faints
Grover faints (from Monsterpiece Theater: Chariots of Fur)
The Two-Headed Monster faints (from sketch where the monster sees a cardboard cut-out of itself)
Bert faints