1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Old School Volume 2

Discussion in 'Sesame Merchandise' started by Phillip, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

It’s finally here. 1974-1979 was arguably the best five year period in Sesame Street’s history. Relive the memories and magic with the Sesame Street Old School Volume 2 box set. Read our advance review of this exciting release here...

http://www.muppetcentral.com/articles/reviews/dvd/sesame_old_school_2.shtml

And if you order the Old School DVD's from the link below, you'll get free shipping and a portion of the order will go back to Muppet Central, helping us keep the site and new projects coming in the future.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UNYJTK/muppetcentral/

Post here and let us know what you think about Sesame Street Old School Volume 2.
  2. Taco Monster

Taco Monster Member

I believe the edit to episode 796 is because they couldn't get the rights to "Happy Birthday". I'm willing to cut Sesame Workshop some slack on this one because from what I've gathered, the owners of that song are quite greedy.

Great review, and I completely agree. The mid-to-late 70s was a really good era for SS, possibly the best. And I'm glad to hear they kept the edits to a minimum. They also kept the original copyright screens this time, though they still inserted a new one afterward. And it was good to finally see the credits from this era, especially the one from season 10 with the three different films spliced together.

I do think it's ironic that they included a quote from Maurice Sendak in the booklet, but edited out the references to Where the Wild Things Are on the pilot.
  3. gbrobeck

gbrobeck Member

You may be right. I had thought she only said Happy Birthday and didn't sing it, but it seems she may have sung it. Still if that's the case, silencing the audio might have been a better option there.

Greg
  4. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

The copyright to "Happy Birthday" expires 14 years from now; let's hope the owners don't renew, so any re-release of that DVD can leave the birthday scene intact. :) As for the review...it makes me glad that my folks advance-ordered Old School Volume 2 for me; I'll be checking the mail over the next two weeks!
  5. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Unfortunately, we just found another cut on the set. The "Dialing For Prizes" game show sketch in episode 666 has been replaced with another classic Guy Smiley moment, "Beat the Time". The review has been updated accordingly.
  6. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

was there a reason why the "Dialing For Prizes" sketch was cut?

I never even saw that sketch before!
  7. ploobis

From what I've read in the review, I like the choices for Bonus sketches but I still think it would have been great to have the Frazzle song as a bonus sketch. Oh well.

I'm still happy that the DVD includes stuff like "Telephone Rock", Classic Don Music sketches, Sesame News sketches, Cowboys: I wanna know Y sketch and Roosevelt Franklin!
  8. zns

zns Active Member

My guess is that they cut the "Dialing for Prizes Movie" skit out due to copyright laws on the film clip that they show. By the way, which "Beat the Time" skit do they use on here? Is it with Cookie Monster, Grover, or The Count? Anyway, I've added this to my Christmas list so I will definatly be excited to see this undser my tree this year.:) :excited: ;)
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

WOW! This set looks amazing. I'm thinking, "hey! It's Tuesday November 6th already?" The animation cel looks suitble for framing, and The box art looks terrific. And only a small handful of cuts due to copyright reasons. Now this set is superior to the set preceding it. I'm so glad Genius has decided to help out SW with these releases now, and I cannot wait to pick it up.

I will say the only negative is it has the same disk layout as last time, becuase I just don't like having to lift out one disk to get the one underneith. I had this problem with Dinosaurs and TMS as well. It's clever, and practical, but a mild hinderance.
  10. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

The one with Grover.
  11. minor muppetz

Well, I bought my copy today. So far I've only watched episode 666 and some bonus sketches (and went to the chapter stops to watch "A Song from Kermit"). It's a shame that the booklet doesn't reveal who played Gordon in the pilot.
  12. MuppetDude

MuppetDude Active Member

Great! The "Dialing for Prizes" clip was one I was looking forward to seeing in that episode, but they certainly made up for the edit. Good work, Sesame Workshop!
  13. zns

zns Active Member

Well that's good. It's one that I've never seen before so that makes the edit not so bad after all.
  14. PinballStewie

PinballStewie New Member

Dunno why they left out "Kermit the Frog T-Shirt" and "Born to Add". Those are both classics to me :) On the plus side, Volume 2 has more attempts at parodying rock and roll music than the previous volume. I just knew somehow that "Telephone Rock" was going to be included and I'm psyched that "I Cry", one of SS's rare attempts at parodying a punk song (albeit with a somewhat Beatlesque organ), appears on one of the episodes! Here's hoping "The Letter N" appears on Volume 3!
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Muppet Wikia has a run down of the set as well. Including links to episodes to see the "track listing" of the episodes put on the set.\

Seems like starting off the season with the #2 is a tradition or something.
  16. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Regarding Muppet Central's review of the set, I think it's pretty disgusting to even suggest that interacial relationships are being shunned. Shame on you Mr Brobeck. Such wild guesswork is how harmful rumors start. I epxect that from a forum, but not in a website review. Quite frankly such assertions offend me deeply, and I'm surprised the review was allowed to be published as is.
  17. ploobis

I went to Best Buy to pick up a copy of the DVD and they did not have it!

I checked out Target, Suncoast, Barnes & Nobles and Walmart and no one had it there! :p :(

Later tonight at 6:00pm I'm going back to Best Buy to see if they found a box with the DVD in the back. They said that they were supposed to get 3 copies of it in today!

"SO WEIRD!" :confused:
  18. minor muppetz

I bought my copy and watched episode 666 before I even read the Muppet Central review. After looking at the episode page on Muppet Wiki I suspected that a sketch was shown between Rodeo Rosie's debut and the Roosevelt Franklin sketch. I noticed a few other films that I didn't recall reading about on Mupet Wiki's page, and when I saw Beat the Time, I figured that it was cut from the episode, was aware that the episode featured Dialing for Prizes, and thought it was weird that two Guy Smiley game shows would be included in the same episode (I guess it's not any more weird than an episode having many different skits with certain characters, which was very common back then). By the time the episode had ended I had forgotten about Dialing for Prizes, until I looked at that episodes page on Muppet Wiki and realised that Beat the Time is in the spot where Dialing for Prizes would have been. And I think it's safe to assume that the episode didn't originally feature both skits. It would be werid for two Guy Smiley sketches to be shown back-to-back in the same episode.

At first I was thinking that this set has less edits than the first set, but now that I think about it, excluding the copyright changes, it has about the same number of edits. One entire sketch is known to be cut, the ending of a sketch is cut, one whole sequence was cut from the pilot, and part of the end of the pilot is cut.

Looking at the review, I am glad that The Nobel Ostrich is included. And it's great that the set has some bonus skits as easter eggs, even if they are all animated ones. I would have hoped that if any skits were easter eggs, they would be ones that might have questionable content, like I Want a Monster to be my Friend. Or something really rare like One Song (Song of One) or a Professor Hastings skit (yes, I'm aware that these aren't from the late 1970s).

It seems like this set is an improvement over the first set.
  19. minor muppetz

He also speculated that it could be to avoid confusion from kids who know that she's married to Luis, but I don't think that's an issue. Not any more confusing that seeing an orange Oscar, Snuffy being thought to be imaginary, Gordon having hair, and so on.
  20. ploobis

Or Herry Monster having a fuzzy-N-blue nose. :)