Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 36

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? Thought Season 36 would start up again on Monday, September 5, 2005. Oh well, I'll be watching it then and let you guys know.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Here, Here!"

mikebennidict said:
is there some reason why those idiots choose to remake the original numbers films that the count mentions? while i don't expect the series to cator to the older generation on a daily baisis, in my view if they're going to do something new, don't remake any older segments. i'm sure they would of done just fine showing the older number films. it's not like the youngsters are going to think that's old. they don't know any better.
:boo: I totally agree! If they are going to show such a classic thing as "The 1-10, 10-1 number song", and actually use part of the original tune, then 1) I think they owe it to the person who originally wrote it enough to at least play the whole song, and 2) I think they owe it to Jim enough to show the original clips; not only for volunteering to "Take the pie in the face" if you will, but also for being willing to risk breaking his neck by falling down a flight of stairs at least 10 times when they made those original clips. They have the ability to digitally enhance these films now, and to simply replace them all by just showing a kid turning the handle of a jack in the box, IMO, is a real slap in the face for those who were willing to actually spend some time comming up with the ideas for the old ones. And like mikebennidict said: It's not like the kids today are going to complain; they havn't even seen much, if any, of the original version! :smirk:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Actually... It's a quite common mistake regarding that Falling Baker series of sketches from the classic SS...
But Jim wasn't the Falling Baker himself. Rather, the baker stood there and went through the motions while Jim provided the voiceover at that moment of the segments.
Seeing as how I'm partially blind myself, I can understand how someone going by just Jim's voice during those clips could make that assumption.

Hope this helps.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey... Who's up for some Season 36 reviews? I know I am...
Especially after watching Episode 4093 an hour ago. The benefit of living here in PR is we get back-to-back airings on two different stations: Local Channel 3 (which is rully Canal 40) at 8:00 AM, and then again on Local Channel 6 (the home-grown PBS afiliate) at 9:00 AM.

Gonna go through some thoughts here, hope you don't mind.
4093: Baby Bear's Fist Day of School.
New Happy Healthy segment with guest star: Doing exercises with Zoe while waiting for the bus.
Me thinks this guest ended up playing Mrs. Goose at SCS.

Baby Bear's buying supplies at Hooper's Store with Alan and Telly.
Some new characters and some old are seen at the Storybook Community School.
The one character that made me smile excitedly to see her back was Mary Scot and her Little Lamb. No, not the original version of Mary and her Little Lamb, but the one I've identified as "Mary Scot" in my listings cause she has a Scottish accent.

They had roll call, letter and number time, and Baby Bear thinking of the rest of his family. Thought this was a good message-oriented story for a change.
BTW: Were Hansel and Gretel hamming up Pump You Up with Hans and Franz when introducing themselves?

Mrs. Goose talks Baby Bear into coming back to school.

Let's see, what else...
Film Song: "At School".
Global Grover with Sidney Camel on different ways to get to school.
Journey To Ernie: Transportation, New.
Bert and Ernie Song: "That's What Friends Are For".
A with Cookie devouring the letter Prairie has, and 1 with the animated intro.
Elmo's World: School, New.
Trash Gordon: Hungry Penguins read to Slimey and added worms during sleepover at Oscar's can.

Hope this helps, will post tomorrow with another recap.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't catch too much new material on the show other than the street story and JTE. I did like that they did "That's What Friends are for Though." It's been a while since we've seen a classic Bert and Ernie segment like that. Unfortunately, I think they edited out the part where Ernie annoyed Bert with "a little noise."

I look forward to seeing tomorrow's ep (I'd probably have to wait until Wednesday, though because I'll be away tomorrow) with Telly learning the Grouchkateer cheer. You don't see too many Telly/Oscar moments these days.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Huh? You talking about the part where Ernie says...
Ernie: You wouldn't mind if I made a little noise, would you Bert?
Bert: A little noise? Like what?
*Ernie then rattles off the drumset he's got conveniently next to his bed.

If so, that was there in what I saw/heard this morning.

Xerus

Reaction score
I saw that new episode today. It brought back memories of the classic SS where fairy tale characters got together and did stuff. And Mother Goose was played by Shirley Jones. The mother on the Partridge Family. And when Shirley's bus came in the opening. It was the Partridge Family's famous psychedelic bus.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Rully? That's a potshot lost on me due to my blind batty eyes.

BTW: Thought Susan Day was Mrs. Partridge, and Shirley Jones was Laura Partridge.
BTW2: The Partridge Family TV show was based on the real live R&R band named The Cowsills.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The Count said:
BTW: Were Hansel and Gretel hamming up Pump You Up with Hans and Franz when introducing themselves?
I thought that sounded familiar. :smile:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Movin' fright along...

4093: Telly Learns the Grouchketeer Cheer.
Happy Healthy Pre-Show Intro: Bert did a fruit rainbow rap, about eating different color-coordinated fruits.

Episode: Gordon's practicing his golf shot cause Alan's coming to pick him up.
Big Bird comes in and out.
Telly's over to the side moaning how he can't do the cheer.
Flashbacks are shown of Oscar teaching the cheer, the kids doing it, and him saying how Telly's the only one who can't do the cheer.
Gordon and Telly practice doing the cheer.

Two peeves:
1 The setup leads one to see the cliche of one character saying a line, only to then have every other character say the same line. Granted it was only BB repeating Gordon's advice but it was apparent.
2 The fact that Telly in this case realizes what they're telling him, only after it's BB who says what Gordon just said.

The bus arrives, with a grouch spoof character of Jackie Gleason's Ralph Cramden character from the Honeymooners.
Telly does the cheer and scares him off. Oscar decides to repay Gordon by doing the cheer, since the park and public golf course are next to each other.

Other Highlights.
1 New Letter of the Day segment where Oscar says he won't show the letter of the day, only to get betrayed by his own worm Slimey.
The funny part is how Oscar gets exasperated when every other word he says starts with S, thus making him even more tongue-tied.
2 Global Grover: Mongolian Bowl-Dancing.
4 JTE Repeat of the beach ocean hide.
5 Garth Brooks and monsters singing "Together We'll Make Music".
6 Number of the Day song with Count, 19.
7 Elmo's World: Ears.
8 TG: Planet Scram, New.

Hope this helps and have a good day.