Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 40

muppetfan89

Reaction score
I thought it had it's good points and bad points.

I liked the street scene, it was a great reference to Follow that Bird. Also, Big Bird getting the name wrong was a great reference to Mr. Hooper. Great song at the end of it too.

I was also very happy to see Kermit. I was very surprised by that.

I didn't care for the Abby segment. I thought it was too long and just didn't fit with the show.

I also didn't care for Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures. I never cared for it actually. I love stop motion, but I would rather see the puppets. also, I feel that Bert and Ernie get a along too well and don't argue, which is what made them great to watch.

I also don't like how the street scene is reduced down to 15 minutes, instead of extending to the full hour between segments. I just felt like it was the Abby and Elmo show. Not enough of the characters.

I also didn't like how Murray introduces segments. It just doesn't come off as being seamless with everything else.

There also wasn't enough of letter and number segments. There was only one of each.

Sorry for nit-picking, but overall, I liked it.

wiley207

Reaction score
Can't wait to check it out when I get home from college today to see it! I recorded it. THEN I'll give my review

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I didn't care for Murray's segments either, but I can't complain, as I know they're trying to give Joey a regular characters as well... not to mention, he's the new head writer as well, so he's probably going to try to write a lot for Murray.

BTW, did anyone besides me notice that Bert's line in the "Great Adventures" theme had been changed from "This is kinda kinky" to "This is kinda catchy"? I know some people have complained about that, but this just proves how many perverts/sick-minded people there are out there as THERE'S MORE THAN ONE MEANING TO THE WORD "KINKY".

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That's perfectly okay Muppetfan89. Sounds like as if SST's reverted to the bad block lineup format from Season 33. It would be better if the US version took a cue from some of the international airings... Take these extra segments like Abby's Flying School, Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures, Murray Has a Little Lamb, etc. with a connecting framing sequence out of the main hour-long episode, spinning them off into a separate half-hour block of mini-programs.

Becky, check the Muppet Mindset thread in the On the Web section. Prawny posts links there to each day's article.

Hope this helps. :grouchy:

fleecenotfelt

Reaction score
i <3 lin-manuel miranda! he's super cute!

besides the homage to hooper, did you notice that all the stickers on big bird's suitcase reference different places he's been in past episodes? like puerto rico and hawaii etc...

i heard that they're putting little classic references/throwbacks in every show this season! so, so far that's 2 in this first premiere.

happy birthday sesame street!

mbmfrog

Reaction score
You know A part of me thought that if the company was playing their cards right, then maybe the first episode in the 40th season would just be an average SS show.

I mean I loved the main story, but I was hoping for more shorts since it's the 40th season and the first episode and a reminder of WHY we all fell in love with the cast and crew in the first place.

I mean in one way one of hte shorts would be a new Erine and Bert one in their Muppet form where Erine turns the bathroom into a pond for his Rubber Duck and his ducky friends.

A version of one of these things is not like the other where we find out which animal belongs in which habait.

Also a :grouchy: moment where we see Slimey habait in the mud.

And :insatiable: moment where we see him in an abandon Cookie factory full of COOKIES.

I mean they could have saved the new stuff for tommorow and just focus on what made this show so great in the first place.

Isn't that what anyone else like to see in the show 40th year?

Drtooth

Reaction score
BTW, did anyone besides me notice that Bert's line in the "Great Adventures" theme had been changed from "This is kinda kinky" to "This is kinda catchy"? I know some people have complained about that, but this just proves how many perverts/sick-minded people there are out there as THERE'S MORE THAN ONE MEANING TO THE WORD "KINKY".
Cough cough... he says "This is kinda kicky." an old catchphrase of Bert's. It sounds pretty distorted, since he says it much quieter than the music. Sounds an awful lot like the multiple Elmo toys gone wrong reports to me.

Anyway, Kermit and all, anyone else love the Camp Wannagohoma bit in Elmo's World?

Anyway...

I also don't like how the street scene is reduced down to 15 minutes, instead of extending to the full hour between segments. I just felt like it was the Abby and Elmo show. Not enough of the characters.
It was like that for some time. They tried to revert it back to that way in season 38, but got bad reaction from it. Seems this story would have worked better if they split it up with stuff in between.

I have to say, I'm kinda half way with the animated segments with puppet characters. They seem like their own shows because they ARE their own shows internationally (Or, at least Ernie and Bert is... I could see Abby becoming its own show internationally). I think both are great (much more entertaining than EW and stuff like JTE and Monster Clubhouse), but I would much rather see the actual muppet counterparts. But I'd rather see animated versions than long, long films about "kids like you" which seemed to dominate the last 2 seasons.

I also love how Murray introduces the letter and number of the day, but again, he seems like a saturday morning kid's show host... I don't like the part where he says that "Abby's Flying School is coming up next." I still love the concept of him going out into the real world, though.