1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 43

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Thanks. I'm busy now, but I'll take a look at that later on.

Not to mention Bob. The poor guy hasn't had a street scene at all last season. It was great to see him and his singing voice return. Though I'd still rather see him do the "People in your Neighborhood" bits rather than Murray.

Well, you never know. Susan made quite a comeback last season, so maybe eventually it will happen to Bob as well. Gosh, we really need smilies for the Sesame humans.

Yep.. Barkley's great. Though I like that they're using live dogs this season. I wonder if our family's sheltie can get a part on the show.
  2. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I noticed the new episode had no fake sponsor ad at the end. Maybe they figured those were kind of pointless?
  3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Don't forget today's ep., all election themed!
  4. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

If I'm able to catch this episode due to daylight savings having expired for 2012, I'm rully looking forward to the celebrity word of the day with former Indecision correspondant Steve "Carouselli" Carrell.
    *Post paid for by the committee to have Steve Carrell deported in favor of a Steven Colbert victory. :p
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I skipped out on the already seen street story. The word on the street, new Abby segment, and Elmo the Musical were the only real highlights.

Steve Carrell needs to work with the Muppets/Sesame Street more. I really miss him not being on The Office, though I respect his choice to leave. Ever realize they always subliminally have the third party always win in these things? No comment.

The Abby thing was cute I guess. Only thing that kept me interested really is the Grouch Troll's verbal tic of saying the words for laughing out loud ("Chortle Chortle").

But Elmo the Musical keeps getting better and better. Airplane/Naked Gun references ("It's the pentagon!" "What's that?" "It's a shape with 5 sides and five angles, but that's not important right now."), that "First lady" joke ("I didn't know you were married!" "Elmo's not married. That's just the first lady to walk through the door.") Even got a little action packed. Seriously, people want Elmo's World back, why?
  6. The Count

Airplane/Naked Gun references? ! ? Curse you end of daylight savings time! Curse you to heck!
    *Has to wait till repeats air on the weekend at 9:00 AM.

Guess I picked the wrong week to quit watching Sesame Street.
    Are we flying over Elmo's World?
    No, we'll never get over Elmo's World.
  7. antsamthompson9

The Word of the Day was good. The new Murray tune-ins were cool. The new AFFS was funny. It was good to see Waiting for Big again. The new ETM was awesome! The songs were incredibly catchy.
  8. Drtooth

The Steve Carrell word of the day is somewhere on Youtube, and that specific Elmo the Musical and Abby's School are bound to be aired again this season. Other than that, you really didn't miss much.
  9. The Count

Thing is, I don't watch YouTube because of its glitchtastic stop-and-go play.
    The Abby Flying Fairy School I'd really like to catch is the one at Puckish Pete's mythical creature petting zoo. They were all CGI animated, I know, but I still find that one to be the best of all. Until they make the straight-to-video release where Abby meets her famous cousin since Disney's promoting the one where Tink found her "new" sister. Then again, that's asking for a ten-pound cannonball to be added to the penguin cannon of Muppetdom, so yeah, never mind. :zany:
  10. ncchuck

ncchuck Active Member

i really dug the whole vote episode. and yes drtooth etm is getting good
  11. antsamthompson9

It was never bad.
  12. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Agreed! As much as I dislike seeing Sesame Street carved up into several mini-shows starring one character, those "Elmo: the Musical" sketches are both funnier and more educational than "Elmo's World" ever was. There's still a predictable structure, but none of it feels like pointless filler; the humor and plot twists add to the curriculum bits instead of feeling tacked-on. Plus, Elmo finally seems to have gotten over his obsession with birthday cakes; many thanks to the writers for not continuing that running gag from "Elmo's World" into the new mini-show!
  13. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

On a more serious note: I admit I enjoy the fake ad bits at the end of this season's episodes. Since the letter/number "sponsorships" originally poked fun at the brief sponsor credits on commercial TV, it's logical that Sesame Street would write longer, detailed spoofs of its own longer, detailed funding credits...and keep the kids engaged till the very end of an episode. :laugh:
  14. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

(Before I continue: Sorry to spam the thread here, but since I'm writing about three unrelated aspects of Season 43 I thought it justified three separate posts. :o )

Two classic bits that I wish the Season 43 writers had left as they have been for decades--

1. "One of These Things (Is Not Like the Others)": Why couldn't they have kept that song for Murray's comparison games, instead of using the "Dare to Compare" rap? The music directors have redone a lot of classic Sesame tunes in the past few seasons; why not add another classic remake to their list, and keep the game familiar to both parents and kids?
    2. "People in Your Neighborhood": Murray's new rap may allude to "the people that you meet each day", but it's not as catchy or singable as the original song. Granted, the new job-related transitions include more natural, serious, and educational talk about the jobs (unlike the occupational humor which dominated the classic song). Still, would it kill the writers for Murray to sing the original song and add a bit of light-hearted conversation with the humans? If a teaching method works, it doesn't need changing.
  15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

minor muppetz likes this.
  16. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

That is a great song, and I'm having trouble figuring out if that's Frank Oz or Eric Jacobson as Grover. I want to say Frank Oz. The voice sounds a little different from what I'm used to hearing from Oz, but voices do tend to change after a certain number of years, even when performed by the same person.
  17. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

It's Frank Oz. This must be the song he recorded. Cute.
  18. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

19. Drtooth

I'm mixed about it. People in Your Neighborhood was traditionally talking about professions in general, and the only time they weren't either Muppets or actors was the celebrity version from the "Put Down the Duckie" special. From that point, I think it's far more interesting. That's why I love the character Murray. He goes out and talks to real people and they're not afraid of getting the puppet's hands dirty. I'm sure Jim would have loved this idea. I'm surprised he didn't make it a show. But I agree. On the other hand, while it's nice that they keep the original song as an underscore for the segment, I don't get why they had to change it so much to the point where it's barely referencing the original.

Still, I like these better than the usual Murray transitions. I almost wish People in the Neighborhood was a recurring segment like Murray had a Little Lamb used to be, so it can alternate between Super Grover 2.0.

There wasn't a single number or letter segment in the bunch either. They played the whole episode completely straightforward from the aftermath. While we lost Kermit, starting from the aftermath was the right choice for what they were going for. However, I almost expected to see Elmo's World Helping people. As much as I would be against editing the 5 episodes down even more (though there were key places they could have), that would have been an ideal way to close the episode out to tie in with the theme.

Plus, they didn't retrofit other rerun episodes that aren't counted as the 26 episode count with Elmo the Musical. The older episodes they run to pad out the show's season still have EW unaltered.
  20. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member