1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Your Thoughts: Sesame Street Season 44

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Phillip, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Just a reminder that Sesame Street's 44th season officially begins Monday on PBS stations across the country. Check your local times in your area. Find out all the details on Sesame Street Season 44 here.

Sesame Street begins a new era with the debut of "Cookie's Crumby Pictures". The popular "Elmo the Musical" returns for the second season. The final Muppet segments recorded with Muppeteers Jerry Nelson and Kevin Clash will also air.

After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts. When you're the first to post about a new episode please include a description of the street scene or an episode number so that we know which episode you are discussing.

If you've seen Sesame Street Season 44, please like this post and let us know your thoughts on the new episodes.

MikaelaMuppet and ElizaSchuyler like this.
  2. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

The season premiere episode for Monday September 16 is...

4401: Telly Gets Jealous
    The Season 44 premiere finds Telly becoming upset when his pet hamster can't do the same things as Baby Bear's pet parrot.

If you've seen "Telly Gets Jealous", please like this post and let us know your thoughts on the new episode.

3. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I love street stories like this one for a lot of different reasons. One of them is you never know who is going to pop up, I was happy to see the Count in that story. I also love seeing the emotions change so quickly. Great first show so far!

ElizaSchuyler likes this.
  4. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Season 44
    Episode 4401: Telly Gets Jealous.
    Airdate: Monday, September 16 2013.
    Sponsors:C, 7.

What's the Word on the Street?: "Jealous".

Street Story.
    Telly and Baby Bear playing with their pets.
    Whoa... Chucky Sue and Ralphie? Oneshot character returns, check.
    I like this "Best Friends Kind Of Day" song.

Is this still one of Kevin's Elmo episodes?
    Ralphie outshines Chucky Sue at everything, thus setting up the insertion of today's word.
    Apparently Ralphie's picked up Baby Bear's speech schtick.
    And hey, a quick appearance by :batty:!

Yeah... Baby Bear the show-off, the Dolph Ziggler of Sesame Street.
    Why do we have to have an overusage of the simple songs?
    Really liked Gordon's role in this episode providing a grown-up approach to helping cure Telly of his jealous streak.
    Would prefer the two versions of "Best Friend Kind Of Day" stitched together to make a complete song.

Highlights.
    1 Celebrity/Muppets: Jealous with Abby.
    Apparently Abby's grown a little because she said she's a "fairy" instead of a "fairy godchild".
    I'm not sure they're explaining jealous correctly, their demos make me think more of the word "covetous".
    2 Animated insert explaining "jealous".
    3 Dr. Ovejita treats Murray for his case of C's.
    4 See the C in the Clouds: cake, cat, car, cone, cup. Cute.
    5 Kids saying C, bleh.
    6 Abby's Flying Fairy School: Pet Day.
    7 Magic Murray shows the 7 of Hearts as the Number of the Day.
    8 Animated insert counting to 7.
    9 Second insert counting to 7, apparently a 7th birthday segment.
    Would rather prefer a good number sketch.
    9 Cookie's Crummy Pictures: The Spy Who Loved Cookies.
    This entire sketch... ROTFL!
    Ladyfingers... Cookie Dunker of Doom... The best agent possible, but he wasn't available... What up with the chickens. Hello, bossy English lady, where you go.
    The comedy far outweighed the pattern problem-solving.
    10 Murray's Monster Measuringwhere they discover a kite's two eggplants long.
    11 Muppets: "I Need A Word" sung by some guy named David and Super Grover.
    Is this some sort of parody or straight-up new song?
    12 Elmo the Musical: Bird, The Musical.
    So Mama Bird isn't being portrayed by Mae, Elmo's mom.
    Mama Bird goes to the supermarket to buy some worms?
    Sitting On the Egg Dance, yeah, knock the egg out of the nest.
    Welcome to the Cock-a-Doodle Games and the most unusual watermelon of them all.
    Mrs. Duck buys a #5 Hat, which gets us to a performance of "I Feel Ducky", reminds me of the Goodfeathers' Nest Side Story.
    Hey, Blögg (or his Muppeteer) makes an appearance as a baseball pitcher tossing Elmo Bird's egg.
    Finally an umpire makes a welcome interruption instead of being a butt-in in the game.
    And back to the nest where the egg hatches into... Baby Brother Bird.
    Elmo the Musical is soooo much more enjoyable than Elmo's World.

5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

To help you out...

2) was about 2 hovering robots building snowmen. One of them named Blip or Bleep or something made a small, pathetic looking one, while another (who's name I'm not sure they mentioned) builds a huge, perfect snowman that makes Blip feel jealous. That is, until he uses the same machine to build another one just like the large, impressive one.

5) Was a woman doing Yoga and bending backward into a "C" like shape.

8) Was 7 construction vehicles in a sandbox that built a 7

9)... that was a cute one. That was 7 cartoon monsters on a live action street, all looking for each other one by one, until they go into a live action house for a 7th Birthday party.

And I believe the Dave in the Grover song was Dave Mathews. But I have to double check.

The Count likes this.
  6. Eziwolf

Eziwolf Member

I loved the jealous Telly street story, and I love him so much more after seeing this!
    The Count was also a nice surprise, always glad to see him.

7. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for the info Drtooth. Yeah, I would have said Dave Matthews as well, but since I can't really tell based off of just "David".

Seven construction vehicles making a 7 huh? Maybe it's those good Constructibots, trying to build a rep for themselves standing out against their Constructicon cousins.
    The one with the monsters now makes me curious and gets a better grade, but I'd like more development from new number sketches.

8. Drtooth

Eh, they're more like Pixar's Cars in crazy 2-D thick line animation form.

9. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Okay. I haven't seen the new ep yet because it doesn't come on until 1:00 where I live, but in the meantime here's something I've been kind of curious about. It seems that after a full week of new episodes, the show will start to only air on Thursday. For that matter Thursday episodes are what ended the last season. Why Thursday? Anyone have any ideas on that.

10. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Since this will be the last season with Jerry's material, it's always good to see the Count and his other characters (aka Fat Blue) make an appearance.

Yeah. I know what you mean. I liked how they carried the theme of jealousy out until towards the end with Grover and Dave Whatshisname. (Gosh, I got to do some more research and find out who all these celebrities are.) Good start to the season though.

I still wish they'd change the block format. I think Murray hosting the show and having everything structured like it is has gone on long enough. It would be interesting if they'd go back to the old format or maybe try something new. I mean, Murray is okay as a character and all. I could see him being used in inserts and street stories, like the insert today about measuring with an eggplant. I was sort of hoping for that when I saw the "Monster at the End of the Show" video and thought that would be the ending for one of the shows rather than just having Murray announce the sponsors, but I guess that was just Eric ad-libbing or something like that. Anyone else agree?

Wouldn't that be pretty much the same thing? I'm not sure how I'd define jealous myself, but being a 33-year-old single guy with a sister who's married and has a family and all, I definitely know about jealousy. Lol.

I would believe so. I thought it was confirmed that it wouldn't be until season 45 that we'd hear a new Elmo (outside of live appearances) and maybe the same goes for Matt as the Count. But I may be wrong. I was wrong once in 1987, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to double check on that.

11. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

OK, where do I begin? First of all, I can't express how grateful I am that I FINALLY got to watch the season premier on the actual air date for the first time since Season 39! (When it came to Seasons 40-43, I obviously had to wait for the reruns. I missed the premiers for 40-42 because I was in school, and the premier for 43, because my parents were having company for breakfast.)

Well, anyways, I enjoyed the street story (even though I already saw it on Sesame Street's website)! The highlights of course were the quick cameo by The Count (I wonder how many more clips Jerry recorded with him), and the part where Gordon helps Telly cope with his jealousy. I loved the Word of the Day segment; I had a real feeling that this was going to lead to Charlize getting her own pair of wings, but I didn't think that it was going to end with Elmo wanting his own pair of wings! The Cookie's Crumby Pictures was great; I can't wait (pun intended) for the other segments! Even though I already watched it during the weekend on YouTube and Sesame Street's Website, I am madly obsessed with the "I Need a Word" song by Dave Matthews and Grover (I especially love the harmony that Eric has Grover produce with Dave)! Elmo: The Musical was great as well! I couldn't help but noticing in one of the scenes, there was an owl that sort of resembled Hoots; even if it wasn't supposed to be him, I guess this is the closest we'll ever get (for right now) to having a regular Sesame Street character appear in these segments (someone in the other Season 44 thread pointed out that this would have been a great opportunity to have some kind of appearance by Big Bird in this particular segment, and I agree!).

Overall this was a good episode, and I can't wait for tomorrow's episode! As a side note, as long as "jealous" was the word of the day, I'd like to say that this is how I'm feeling, because, you all probably have HDTVs that show the complete picture, while I still have one of those 90's TVs that cuts part of the picture out! Lol

Another random comment/observation: In Elmo: The Musical, they did a parody of a song that was done on both Sesame Street and The Muppet Show. Can anyone guess what it was?

12. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I loved today's street story. I loved the Best Friends Day song. David is an awesome singer. The WOTD bit was cute. CCP was great! It will be the best part of this season no doubt. The new Murray tune-in was good. Was the eggplant Matt? The I Need a Word song was very good. I didn't know Eric could sing like that. ETM was great. Though it would have been better if Mae was Mama Bird. All in all, good episode! I hope Oscarfan and D'Snowth get the file for this episode soon. They don't deserve to be out of the loop.

13. antsamthompson9

I noticed that too. It was I Feel Pretty.

14. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Correct! I also just realized that Joey Mazzarino's daughter, Segi made an appearance as one of the girls who introduced "Abby's Flying Fairy School"!

15. antsamthompson9

I thought that was her.

16. Drtooth

Might as well give a proper review.

These Telly and Baby bear episodes are always a favorite of mine. Somehow, I thought Ralphie was a little less developed since the last time he was seen on the show. And with a completely different Muppeteer to boot. That means, Sesame Street somehow managed to make a replacement goldfish out of a Muppet character. Having it a musical episode added a nice touch to it, with the songs not being too repetitive like they've had in the past. Nice to see The Count written in to it. Now's the sad part where we all pinpoint the last exact Count segment.

I thought they were getting rid of Abby's Flying School. Not that it's a bad segment, but it's no longer in production, and there's 10 more minutes of reruns per new episode. Maybe, like Elmo's World, they're waiting until the season after they run out of episodes to discontinue it.

Now, the real gem of this season (which will be over rerun, you can clearly tell) is Cookie's Crumby Pictures. I've seen too many James Bond parodies to even care to count. This segment managed to keep it pretty fresh. No "Shaken not stirred" or "Bond, James Bond" lines regurgitated. They managed to reference a couple Bond opening themes.... I swear I heard a Skyfall parody near the end of the segment. Can't wait to see the next one.

The Grover singing segment was adorable, and I'm not even a Dave Mathews fan. I also don't know if it's a parody or original.

And, thankfully they opened the season with a new ETM segment. And yes, they totally used a Muppet Show Penguin on that banner in the background of the last scene. We're all talking about Hoots being used in a speechless cameo, but what about that?

dwayne1115 likes this.
  17. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Marty's performance in today's episode was absolutely brilliant, beautiful even. He better get a Daytime Emmy nom. this year.

And Dave Matthews and Grover's song was great too. Joey Mazzarino mentioned in an interview that he wished to write a song as good as "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon"; if he wrote this one, he got very close. As much as I dig the funky songs they do now, slow, sweet and poignant songs like that show what separates Sesame from other kids shows. (I could also tell someone else was puppeteering Grover in the segment.)

18. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

That's true. Marty Robinson has never received any Emmys for his work on SS, despite two nominations. This better be the year he gets one!

Also: there's going to be a Jerry Nelson tribute episode?! MUST WATCH!!! Hopefully there will be longtime favorites like the Count, Herry, Mumford, and Mr. Johnson, as well as older characters like Frazzle, Biff, Fred the Wonder Horse, and Sherlock Hemlock. I also wonder how they will be incorporated into the plot of the story.

19. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Yeah: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_4411

Only the Count and Herry have been confirmed to appear in it so far; hopefully others do too.

20. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

I see the Two-Headed Monster in the current photo from the episode. So that counts (no pun intended) as another Jerry Muppet.