Your Thoughts: Star Trek

Fluffets

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, what was created was an alternate timeline, as Old Spock wouldn't know of his "real" past if it were "real" history that was altered (except, in these time travel plots in Trek, if you were there during the jump, you're unaffected by the temporal changes). Old Spock was aware of some of the changes because he had come through the wormhole later than Nero but early enough to figure stuff out. In Classic Trek, Jim's father was alive (at least he was, he was dead by the time of the episode IIRC).
Wow I didn't know you were such a deep trekkie!:smirk::big_grin:

Fluffets

Reaction score
I saw this today and it was... well... all I can say is I wish that the Star Wars prequels had a quarter of the vision, action, and over all fun this movie had. I'm not a huge fan of the franchise. I liked the few episodes of the original that I saw, and I can't quite remember them well enough to put them up against this film... more or less other Star Trek films. So I don't know if they made it a good Star Trek film, but I can assure you they made it a good film outright.

Again, this prequel of sorts totally kicks the Star Wars prequel's butts. Could you imagine if they took the same route with this film? Crummy CGI characters plastered all over, slow, almost real time pacing? This film rushed right into the important stuff, and didn't drag unnecessarily for half hours establishing tiny details, like that ferschlugginer Pod race that took up half the movie.

And as a TV show "remake" of sorts (I don't exactly think of it like that, but as a way to reboot a franchise that's been hurt after Enterprise.... can't say I follow Star Trek enough to get the reception from that, but it didn't feel good), i think they actually tried and cared with this one... unlike Land of the Lost, Dudley Do-Right, The Honeymooners, Underdog... stuff that basically says, "I'm here to cash in my check before I make another movie." It really was well written, well acted, well cast... again, not like a certain other franchise Meesa know-no

There was one thing that confused me.... SPOILER:

I still am trying to figure out if it is indeed an alternated time line, or an altered time line, altered by the Romulans at the beginning of the movie. I did look past the black hole stuff... I give them the benefit of the doubt, using 1960's, pre-Hawking space logic... when you go through a black hole, you're a singularity... you're GONE. Plus, after watching a Cluth Cargo (snicker) anything in the world sounded logical. It's like they implied that both time streams crossed, and that the act of the Romulans altered the course of history- killing Kirk's dad in a massive fighter battle and destroying Vulcan- but Future Spock hints at knowing Kirk's father and makes references to Kirk's other time line. But he also makes references to that particular chain of events happening.

END Spoiler
Wait when you mentioned star wars why did you draw all attention to Phantom Menace?:stick_out_tongue: Star trek in my opinion actually reminded me a little of star wars (mainly revenge of the sith) because of the ship scenes and the action etc. Plus the swearing comedy added a little to the movie too but I bet there was one or two family moments like "I like this ship!". A humourous quote said by Scotty played by (this generation) the brilliant Simon Pegg.:big_grin: And having leonard nimoy has the old spock was pretty exciting too, just a few days before seeing it I bought a kirk action figure but I do regret it a little because in the movie he was portrayed as such an idiot! But one of my favourite cinema film alongside Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull also one last thing: I liked all the old series references etc and quotes (and the theme song remix).:big_grin: