1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Your Thoughts: The Muppets Character Encyclopedia

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Phillip, Feb 7, 2014.

1. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

My book is on its way!

2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Actually, under "likes" the whole thing says that he likes "breakfast, lunch, and dinner (he's not much of a dessert person)". I keep forgetting which spelling is "dessert" and which is "desert", and didn't feel like checking the page. And it is kind of funny that he likes all three meals but not dessert. Though there are several monsters in the book that could have had those likes (Big Mean Carl, Behemoth, Doglion, and so on).

3. minor muppetz

The Muppet Mindset has posted a review: http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2014/02/book-review-muppets-character.html

I kind of hope that tomorrow's Weekly Muppet Wednesday spotlights a character not in this book (who could have legally been included). Of course I don't know whether the next one was written before the book came out or not (whenever I send in Weekly Muppet Wednesday articles, it's usually on Wednesday after the latest one is online or Thursday).

4. MuppetMazz

MuppetMazz Member

Any issues with preorders from Amazon for anyone else? Mine hasn't shipped and doesn't provide an expected date. Curious....

5. DutchMuppet

DutchMuppet Member

Yesterday this book came in for me. It's a beautiful book! I showed it to various people and everyone priced it as 15 pound. When they saw the real price everyone was astounded. And sure some rare Muppets aren't included but for 10 pounds I can't complain!

6. Minstrel Mayhem

Minstrel Mayhem New Member

I ordered mine from the Book Depository... usually only takes a week to get here after shipping, and is cheaper than buying retain in Australia 90% of the time.

muppetperson likes this.
  7. atrane

atrane New Member

I just wrote a short blog about it for The WDW Happy Place website. Loved the book itself; fun & quick read. Great to see some long forgotten characters, and visually interesting overall-hope it'll draw in some younger generations. I'll post a link after the owners give it their seal of approval.

8. minor muppetz

Looking at the Tough Pigs review, there's an image of the two-page spread with both Nigels. In the one with the conductor, one of the images is from The Muppets when Thog got stuck in an arch. Was that really an image to use (I would have expected that to be on the Thog page)? I know Nigel and the orchestra are there, but they're not the main focus. I would think that an image of Nigel from the pilot or the Kaye Ballard episode would have been better to use.

I was surprised to hear that a Snowth appears in the section on Koozebane. I think that's the only time the Snowths have been mentioned to be from that planet. With the Snowths having their own page (with Mahna Mahna), it would have been better if the space was used for characters not in the book who actually were referred to as being from Koozebane, like the Phoob, the Spooble, and The Extremes. I also saw that the Koozebane section includes Cute, the trumpet-nosed Fazoob, even though the Fazoobs have their own page as well.

I mean, it's not like the Monsters section has monsters who get their own pages.

9. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

As much as I'm a little perturbed about the lack of Digits and Bill, Gill, and Jills, I love this book immensely. The information is solid and the backstories are fantastic and the humor riddled through it is hilarious.

Just seeing Mr. Poodlepants in print is amazing, let alone learning that he "Likes: pants, Dislikes: poodles". It's all just great. I also have to agree with someone on here, the inclusion of Sam and Friends characters was really great. The Muppet Cars spread was neat, too.

And I liked they even included nods at the similarities of characters. Namely, the compared Nigel to Droop and described Muppy's fur as "a little shaggier than Rufus'".

Overall, this book rocks. Buy it. Read it. Buy another one. Eat it, so you might internalize the information. Buy a third one. Sell it on eBay. And buy a fourth one, to cut up the high-resolution Mr. Poodlepants photo to pin on your wall.

Duke Remington likes this.
  10. minor muppetz

I got the book today. Enjoyed looking through it. I haven't even fully read every page yet (I've read most).

Somehow I expected the Sam and Friends section to only include images from The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years (well, a promotional image, that's definitely not a still), particularly since I knew that the only characters featured in this book are ones who did appear in the special. But I did wonder if they would have included other photos of Sam, Harry, and Yorick (even if not still images).

That is a great main image of Lips. I don't think I've seen that image before, and can't identify where it could be a still from (maybe Muppets Most Wanted, but it looks like the original puppet to me, not that there's much difference between the original and current puppets).

The section on Muppet birds says that it includes every Muppet bird who doesn't appear elsewhere. It would have been great if it said something about not including Big Bird. Maybe Disney wouldn't want him to be mentioned to risk confusing the public regarding who belongs to who, but perhaps it could have said "every Muppet bird (with the exception of a certain big bird)".

Considering the lack of behind-the-scenes stuff, it's interesting how on Bean Bunny's page, Muppet Vision 3D is referred to as "Jim Henson's Muppet Vision 3D". I wonder if that's the only time Jim Henson's name is mentioned.

I was surprised to see a still from Beautiful Day Monster's debut on The Ed Sullivan Show. Don't know if it takes much to include images from productions owned by other companies in books, but considering the book doesn't have characters primarily from the Sony-owned MTM, MFS, or KSY (though I never expected KSY characters to be in this). But The Ed Sullivan Show is the only production not owned by Disney to have images in the book (maybe the owners of the Sullivan Show charge less than Sony would).

And it seems this book shows a difference between Henson and Disney regarding non-fiction books (but considering this book avoids behind-the-scenes stuff, is this book "non-fiction" enough?): Both before and after 2004, pretty much every Jim Henson biography represents almost every major productions, with plenty of photos, regardless of if the distribution rights and characters are owned by Henson, Disney, Sesame Workshop, Sony, or whoever. But this book, at least when it comes to pictures, pretty much sticks to images from productions Disney owns (with the exception of The Ed Sullivan Show).

11. muppetlover123

How does Constantnes page look

12. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

The Constantine spread (yes, he gets two pages) is very intricate and hints at a lot of his roles in MMW. Specifically, his relationship with Miss Piggy. The section regarding it says, "Constantine has fought hardened criminals and fierce law enforcement agents, but he has never come up against anyone like Miss Piggy."

It also says he is a trained martial artist, an expert in explosives, a master of escape, and enjoys knitting. The last one, I suspect won't be focused on much in the new movie.

DrDientes and muppetlover123 like this.
  13. muppetlover123

I know the answer to the knitting one because i read the book!

14. minor muppetz

One thing I had wondered which is confirmed by me reading the book is the fact that there's no humans pictured in this (well, actually, the Nigel page has an image of the control room, including some monitors that have a human on them, though I can't tell who that human is, and one of Paul Williams' feet can be glimpsed on the Beautiful Day Monster page). A few celebrities are mentioned (especially for characters who debuted on shows or specials where the hosts' name was in the title).

It's especially obvious they were avoiding images of humans on the Moopets page, where Animool is mentioned but the page says that he asked to not be pictured in the book.

I wondered if it would be weird for the Walter page to not have any images of Jason Segal with him, and Gary isn't even mentioned on the page, but yet it actually doesn't feel weird for the Walter section to not acknowledge Gary at all. That's a good sign, that Walter can continue to be a major character without it being weird that Gary's no longer a part of his life.

15. minor muppetz

Well, after looking at that section, it seems the Snowth, Cute, and a few other Koozebanians are all featured in an image where they are taking The Newsman away. I haven't seen this image before, but I guess it doesn't exactly mean that the Snowths are from Koozebane (it could just be that a Snowth was among them in taking The Newsman).

I wonder what that image could be from. A deleted sketch (it's clearly not a still, but it seems they took pictures of nearly every scene from the show. Also of note is that all of the characters in that image debuted in the first season or earlier, though The Newsman does have his glasses in that photo, though it can be a little hard to see them)? A Muppet annual or Muppet Magazine (I feel the image kind of has a 1980s quality to it)? Muppets Most Wanted (though most of the characters in that photo haven't been confirmed to be in the new movie, nor were they rebuilt for the last film)?

The section on Timmy Monster doesn't include any photos of the season two Timmy, or the rare original Timmy. I wondered if photos or acknowledgements of those changes occurred (after all, the book does give explanations for Crazy Harry originally being called Crazy Donald, and Behemoth recently being called Gene, but then again, the sections on Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, and Miss Piggy don't include images of the original puppets).

There's a picture from an alternate angle of the Inch Worm sketch with Lenny Lizard (as far as I know, Lenny only did that sketch once). I know that photos were taken from many of the shows sketches (many such images appear in the Muppet annuals, back covers of videos, and Jim Henson: The Works), but there's also a different non-still photo of that sketch on the back of the Muppet Moments VHS packaging.

16. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

The book is amazing and very vibrant, but the thing that stood out for me was on Lydia the Tattoed Pig's page where it claims that the tattoos where inked by 'Maury James'.

Ahhh, I see what you did there Mr Shemin. I'm onto you....

DrDientes likes this.
  17. muppetlover123

Im finally gettng mine from B&N later today

18. atrane

atrane New Member

Okay, as promised, below is the link for my blog review at WDWHappyplace.com. Keep in mind, it's not uber detailed. The site itself is Disney focused, so I also included some descriptions of the "Art of Frozen" book I'd recently purchased. I included some shots of the cover and a couple of pages. It's not a thorough disection, just mainly to introduce their listeners to new Disney merch.
    While you're there... I also wrote a Muppet Christmas Carol piece, comparing it to the Jim Carrey and Mickey Mouse versions. Thanks ya'll, and check out the podcast if you're a Disney fan...
    http://www.wdwhappyplace.com/2014/02/18/disney-book-reviews-from-screen-to-page-anthony-markham/

19. muppetlover123

I got mine today and wow so many MMW high res screen shots love the main 6 with the exception of walter from the opening number. And piggy rocking a red head look in the opening number wow oh wow but the book overall is really good

20. minor muppetz

It's interesting how in the introduction Kermit asks all the monsters who aren't included not to eat him for it, as it seems like it has almost every Muppet monster, at least of those introduced on The Muppet Show (and then some before, like Splurge, who was retired before the show began). Should we consider the "Frackles" section to include all Frackles by extension, even if only three are pictured there?

When it comes to monsters who were introduced on The Muppet Show or later (and Sesame Street doesn't count), this book doesn't have the monsters from Little Muppet Monsters, or the one from Doug Hennings' magic act, or that monster puppet shown being built in The Secrets of the Muppets (has he ever had a known identity?), or that monster who resembles Grover who appeared on the cover of a Muppet book, one of the Sing-Along tapes, and in the big finale in The Muppets (I think he was also in a Muppet Meeting Film). With very few Jim Henson Hour characters in this, I wonder if Anthony and Fern were included because they are monsters.