Your Thoughts: "The Muppets" Theatrical Film

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In the movie, when they have trouble rehearsing, Floyd says it's because they need drumming, to which Animal reacts in panic. But I wonder, couldn't they have gotten a different drummer, while also keeping Animal there (I wonder if they needed to pay all the Muppets who took part in the telethon)? It's ironic that the only member of Geri and the Attrics to appear in the film is the bands drummer, and I wonder if the drummer from Bobby Benson's Baby Band could have done it (I've noticed most of the babies are shown wearing bonnets here, and the film only has five out of six babies, so it's hard to tell if the drummer was among them). Or they could have had Animool fill in, like how they replaced Miss Piggy with Miss Poogy (it would have given David Grohl more to do... as it is he seemed more like a glorified extra than a celebrity cameo).

Or was Animal supposed to stay away from any kind of drumming, even if he wasn't drumming himself?

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I think as many times as I've watched it already I should probably buy a spare copy. XP

MWoO

Reaction score
The idea of the movie is that it takes place after Letters to Santa, which was the last major Muppet project. And since then, the Muppets went they're separate ways.
I got the impression that the movie only takes MTM and prior as its history and ignores anything after that. The novel has Kermit fire Piggy after MTM and that scene was filmed for the movie. Also they act as if the muppet show was the last tv show they did together, ignoring MT and JHH. And of course there is 80s robot that implies Kermit and Piggy parted ways after MTM.

The Muppets is basically an alternate universe where Kermit blows up a little too much and breaks up the group. In "reality" Kermit seems to have accepted that he and piggy are married, at least up until Jim Hensons passing and then things kind of went up in the air with Piggy stating they are and Kermit stating they were just friends. The 90s was a weird time for Kermit and Piggys relationship. For the last 20 years it just went back and forth but it seems now things are back to normal.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
The 90s was weird for the muppets in general especially after Jim's passing. I've said it before and I'll say it again the muppets went through exactly what the Walt Disney studios went through after Walt died. They had no idea what to do let alone knew what direction they wanted to go. So they sort of went through what I call the dark times period just putting out movies left and right but not really sure if they could do it without Walt. Walt and Jim were like fathers who after they were gone their children didn't know what to do. I mean it came very close at one time that people honestly thought Disney was gonna be done for good. Until I think they realized okay Walt is gone and we can't depend on him anymore we need to find our own way and obviously which lead to them finally coming back with The Little Mermaid and many hits after.
The muppets went through the same thing Jim died and I think everyone panicked of "omg now what do we do?" And they ended up I think just throwing out random movies to me it was like a ping pong game (no reference to Kermit's eyes Lol!)they were just being yanked back and fourth. But I think like Disney they have finally found their own way. I think they've finally found their place.

Reevz1977

Reaction score
..I've said it before and I'll say it again the muppets went through exactly what the Walt Disney studios went through after Walt died. They had no idea what to do let alone knew what direction they wanted to go. So they sort of went through what I call the dark times period just putting out movies left and right but not really sure if they could do it without Walt. Walt and Jim were like fathers who after they were gone their children didn't know what to do.
Almost like a certain forbidden-fruit named company? Iphone 4S, Ipad HD anyone? Let's hope they bounce back!!

zoebell

Reaction score
i agree, the 90s was a weird time for the K/P relationship. i blame it on steve and frank not having the decades of easy rapport and closeness that jim and frank had- like frank himself has said before, there's always something of the soul of the puppeteer that comes through in the characters

i guess steve felt he had to set back kermit and piggy's dynamic and separate them in order to find his "own" kermit, and we all know that took a while. i still don't think he really found it just right until about 2002 or so (coincidentally, about the time frank retired)

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I personally think he just always had this huge weight on his shoulders. Thinking will I ever be as good as Jim or how will people like Kermit because I'm not Jim. I cannot imagine having that kind of pressure and having such huge shoes to fill. I mean I heard when he first got the Kermit (gonna break the rules here) puppet he couldn't even look at it for a month. So yes I think it did take a long time. I would say after MMC he finally started being more comfortable and now I think he just has Kermit down pat! Don't get me wrong for me Kermit will always be Jim and nothing can replace that but Steve has done one heck of a job and I can honestly say he now he is right up there. I hope Steve continues to perform Kermit for as long as his voice will allow.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I mean come on Jim was gonna let Steve start performing some of Kermit's voice even before he died because he was busy on other projects and to also just give him a break. I should clarify Steve said he had only heard that through a source he's not sure how true that was. But it was I think Lisa Henson who sent him the Kermit puppet. I mean come on if Jim was really gonna start letting Steve do more voices besides Rizzo at the time and Henson's children himself knew they wanted Steve to take over as Kermit you don't need more then that do you? Obviously they knew Steve had what it took to carry on Kermit.

Besides as Jim said at one time if anything were to happen to him Kermit had to go on right away.