Zoe Thread

Gonzo

Reaction score
I personally like Zoe. I prefer Prairie Dawn, but I do enjoy Zoe at times. She's really only the second Big Name Female character on Sesame Street (after Prairie), but is more successful among children than Prairie ever was. And there's more merchandise of Zoe, which would seem to indicate she's more popular than Prairie had been.

Basically, like many of you, I'm happy to see a strong female character. Rosita's great, Prairie's great, but it appears this is Zoe's turn. I hope there will be other strong female characters in the future--the audience would certainly accept them. The key (in my mind) is they need to have something BESIDES their being a token female character to make them have an interesting personality....I mean, think about the other Muppets--they aren't identified by their gender, but by something about them that makes them unique. Cookie Monster, the Count, Gonzo, Fozzie...they're not just "boys"...they're distinct characters. They need to do the same thing with the girls, which they've done with the more successful ones, but not with the more peripheral ones, like Betty Lou, Roxy Marie, Ruby, Annie Sue, etc.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnn

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Precisely, Quinn!

A token is just a token. A flesh and foam Muppet is so much more than that. Two generations of girls have grown up seeing female Muppets as supporting characters on SST. It is definitely time for some girl power.

Zoe is a great character. She'd be a great character if she were male (though I suspect Congress might work themselves into another uproar if a male Muppet were walking around Sesame Street in a tutu :stick_out_tongue: ). But kids-- male and female-- need to see female Muppets. It reflects the reality of the world (after all, more males are born, but by the time they reach adulthood women out number men) and it helps them learn to respect themselves and others. The world isn't a very inviting place when you think you can't be a part of it because you have two Xs and no Y.

Many of us older fans are partial to the Muppets we grew up with on SST. That makes sense. But the show has lasted this long because it constantly strives to better meet the needs of young children. Zoe can be a part of the show without displacing Grover, Cookie and the rest of the gang.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I do think it's interesting that although there are only a few female Muppets on SS, there are probably more strong female human characters than male...over the last ten years or so, I think it's pretty obvious that Maria has dominated the Street;

Maria's cool. And Gabi's becoming quite the looker. I guess Luis, Gordon, and Alan are still around quite a bit, but it seems like every time I watch it, the human I see most is Maria.

Being a head writer will do that.

Quinnnnnnnnnn

Thijs

Reaction score
I like Zoe but I absolutely love Praire Dawn. Not to compare. And I too want more female puppets on SS. On every Henson Show I think. Annie Sue by the way was a very good character.

mikealan

Reaction score
I like Zoe. I remember her that got introduced in 1993 when I was 6, and I remember seeing her on most 123 Sesame Street (Season 30) episodes on NOGGIN. She's like most Muppets.