Popular Shows that You Hate

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'd say that New Girl was more of a knockoff of ABC's (superior) Happy Endings to the point where it almost had the same cast member. Not kidding. Damon Wayans Jr. was in the pilot for New Girl because Happy Endings was close to getting cancelled the first time. The humor is almost exactly the same, only the characters were better.

Congratulations. You just compared a scripted sitcom to a reality show and made your point completely invalid.

Reality TV is always trash no matter what else is on television, and it gets its reputation AND audience for being trash. The entire Reality TV viewing public only watches that garbage ironically. And what's worse, even if no one was watching, they're not quite in the same danger of being cancelled as a scripted show due to the cost and slave labor tactics that Reality TV thrives on. I'm sure no one watches Survivor anymore.
I've been trying to think of a show to counter-point your claim, but I can't think of one even though I do like a lot of television.

Breaking Bad was a great show, but it's not for everybody and it's gone now. I do like the new Marvel show. It's smart. We'll see where it goes. Sleepy Hollow was a preposterous idea that actually isn't bad. It has a sense of humor to accompany the horror. The MJ Fox show is cute, but not groundbreaking. I don't think Williams' show will last. He's too talented to be tied down to formulaic television. The only procedural of continual value is Person of Interest. They manage to keep things fresh. Other than that, Netflix seems to be taking over series television.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I want to agree about Williams, but all I can think of are the terrible 2000 era family movies he got roped in to. Plus the first episode got pretty good ratings. If they can be kept up, there's little reason to end the show quickly. I too think it's not going to last a long time, but it's not like CBS has anything better to put in the slot.

I think DSnowth was speaking in general over the last decade or so about how awful everything is. I understand where he's coming from, but I HATE nostalgia filter. Sitcoms with overly adorable kids and cliche situations specifically. I have to admit, a Cracked article I'm too lazy to search for gave me a new respect for Full House. Not so much for the show, but the concept and main message of a non-traditional family can still function as a normal one. Other than that, I only truly ever liked it for Joey's cartoon impersonations.

I'll admit that this season really doesn't have anything all that great (except for S.H.I.E.L.D.), but then again, we never have to see the likes of According to Jim, Hope and Faith, or Moesha again.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I want to agree about Williams, but all I can think of are the terrible 2000 era family movies he got roped in to.
Though I do like One Hour Photo and I especially love Death to Smoochy, two adult movies he starred in.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Those were great. But I'm talking about stuff like RV and the Happy Feet movies.

LOVED him in Robots, though. Him and Mel Brooks.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
SHIELD wasn't that great. I'm giving it a few more episodes until I fully choose. What annoys me is that this show will probably connect all future Marvel movies, so that's means you HAVE to watch it.

Don't forget to stick around until the end of the credits this week!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Compare it with the other crime dramas on television... it's probably the best thing to come out of that genre in ages.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think DSnowth was speaking in general over the last decade or so about how awful everything is. I understand where he's coming from, but I HATE nostalgia filter.
It's not really so much a nostalgic factor, we're just stuck in a rut right now.
As far as family friendly shows. They still have those. They're on Disney and they mostly suck.
I wasn't talking about strictly kid shows, I mean shows that were suitable for families to watch, that aren't specifically aimed at either kids or adults, like TMS, for example.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Did I not say it? NBC's got a new show coming this fall, and what's the major plot point of the pilot episode? The teenage daughter is pregnant.

Really? Is that ALL television has to offer anymore? People in bed with each other? People sleeping around with as many others of the opposite sex they can? Teenage girls getting pregnant? What the frog ever happened to Practices & Standards? What IS the FCC doing? Why IS this garbage constantly on TV?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Because that is what is happening in America. More and more Teens are getting pregnant, so more and more shows are coming out about it. People can relate to it more.

Makes me wonder if a new Muppet show would last on todays TV

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Because that is what is happening in America. More and more Teens are getting pregnant, so more and more shows are coming out about it. People can relate to it more.
Yeah, but where are these teen moms GETTING these ideas from? The sad thing is a LOT of people out there like to blindly turn to media for guidence, and when the media glorifies things like this, people think it's okay, when it's wrong.

In all seriousness, studies suggest that more and more teenagers (particular girls) across America are acting out more and more, they're acting more aggressive, competitive, they're more manipulative, coniving, malicious, and vicious, and you know why? Because they see people like that on reality TV all the time, and they've picked up on if they behave like this, it will get them their way.