Popular Shows that You Hate

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Yeah, but where are these teen moms GETTING these ideas from? The sad thing is a LOT of people out there like to blindly turn to media for guidence, and when the media glorifies things like this, people think it's okay, when it's wrong.

In all seriousness, studies suggest that more and more teenagers (particular girls) across America are acting out more and more, they're acting more aggressive, competitive, they're more manipulative, coniving, malicious, and vicious, and you know why? Because they see people like that on reality TV all the time, and they've picked up on if they behave like this, it will get them their way.
I think blaming television for behavior is an overreach. My parents were busy people when I grew up, but they still wouldn't let my siblings or me watch shows like Three's Company. Except in extreme cases, poor parenting is the cause of out of control children.

That said, why aren't there any programs like the Cosby Show, Golden Girls or Home Improvement to balance things out? There's an untapped market of counter-programming. I believe there's a lot of money to be made in creating a quality television show that better reflects the American family. Actually, The Middle tries to do that and they seem to succeed. From what I've seen, Modern Family does a good job too. It's just not on my list of shows to watch.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, I'm not trying to outright put all the blame on television, but there are studies that suggest that a lot of the negative and questionable kind of behavior people engage in today IS picked up by what they see on television.

Now, as for why there's not a lot of quality shows out there for counter programming, I think some of it has to do with all these ridiculously irrational fears that network execs seem to have these days, like they fear if a show doesn't have certain elements (hot girls seem to be brought up a lot, I'm not kidding), then viewers won't be interested and... heaven forbid... change the channel. Again, going back to Ken Levine based on examples he's given, you ever notice that shows these days no longer have theme songs, or main/ending titles sequences, they just roll the credits over the shows themselves? Apparently networks fear that all that if viewers have to sit through titles and theme songs, they'll automatically lose interest. Seriously... go fig. :smirk:

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Again, going back to Ken Levine based on examples he's given, you ever notice that shows these days no longer have theme songs, or main/ending titles sequences, they just roll the credits over the shows themselves? Apparently networks fear that all that if viewers have to sit through titles and theme songs, they'll automatically lose interest. Seriously... go fig. :smirk:
I thought that opening credits were squeezed out to make room for more commercials and such, showrunners had to decided between 30 seconds of plot compared to credits.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Some of you might want to line me up in front of a firing squad for what you might read.

I was never a fan of "Full House".
There, I said it. Has the world come to an end?

Pleasant enough show, but too sugary for me. I can't watch a whole episode without a shot of insulin.
The one episode that really turned me off was around Season Six(?) when Uncle Jesse had the baby twins (they did have nice hair, though). They were acting up at the breakfast table, and he actually had to DISCIPLINE them with a TIME OUT!!! (Talk about cruelty!)
That night Uncle Jesse is tortured with nightmares that his kids might hate him.
("MEAN Daddy! MEAN Daddy!! MEAN Daddy!!!! MEAN Daddy!!")
The next morning, he begs the drooling duo to forgive him.

That's about all I can stomach.
I found the grittiness of "Roseanne" hit far closer to home, and more convincing, although some later plots were as equally farfetched.

If civilization comes to a grinding halt because I don't like "Full House", you know who to blame.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Some of you might want to line me up in front of a firing squad for what you might read.

I was never a fan of "Full House".
There, I said it. Has the world come to an end?

Pleasant enough show, but too sugary for me. I can't watch a whole episode without a shot of insulin.
The one episode that really turned me off was around Season Six(?) when Uncle Jesse had the baby twins (they did have nice hair, though). They were acting up at the breakfast table, and he actually had to DISCIPLINE them with a TIME OUT!!! (Talk about cruelty!)
That night Uncle Jesse is tortured with nightmares that his kids might hate him.

I found the grittiness of "Roseanne" hit far closer to home, and more convincing, although some later plots were as equally farfetched.

If civilization comes to a grinding halt because I don't like "Full House", you know who to blame.

I used to wonder how it was that Jesse had such hard time disciplining his own kids, but not nearly as much trouble when he had to be tough on his nieces (even when it was unwarranted, like that episode when he thought DJ was drinking beer at a dance [really, it was her date and a couple of his friends]). Then my aunt had kids, and I realized that that's a bit of Truth in Television, sometimes.

It annoys me sometimes, though, that people say Roseanne was more realistic than Full House (I love both shows, for the record). Yeah, it was, in the sense that the family wasn't perfect, and every episode didn't have a happy ending, but listening to the way those kids talk to their mother (especially the girls), I just think of how many teeth I'd have to have replaced had I ever spoken to my mother that way. Yeah, every family is different, but still...

Drtooth

Reaction score

Full House was a show I liked as a kid, but hate as an adult. Like I said before, I respect the show on the level of it showing a well adjusted non-traditional family (again, Cracked article I can't bother looking up), but, like every other family sitcom, it's just too diabetic for me.

Of course, I prefered Family Matters and Perfect Strangers.

And Roseanne was an awesome show, until Roseanne went freaking nuts and turned the show into a fantasy Author Fillibuster... though the episode where WWF stars played Afghani terrorists (before 9/11... well before it when the brutality towards women in that country first came to light) was kinda fun. And the Nazi Theme park bit.